Exactly how does intellect work?

Let's say I am a 90 mage.

How much more DPS and crit chance will 1000 intellect give me? How do you calculate that sort of thing?

I am also wondering what ranged stats means for a mage. Isn't it only hunters who are using ranged stats? Or is the mage's wand ranged?

How do I know if I should get an item that gives 1000 PvP power or 1000 intellect?

- - - Updated - - -

I am also wondering, shouldn't you be hit capped with 5.34% hit, instead of 6%?

Quote Originally Posted by Flappychampion View Post
    Let's say I am a 90 mage.

How much more DPS and crit chance will 1000 intellect give me? How do you calculate that sort of thing?

I am also wondering what ranged stats means for a mage. Isn't it only hunters who are using ranged stats? Or is the mage's wand ranged?

How do I know if I should get an item that gives 1000 PvP power or 1000 intellect?

- - - Updated - - -

I am also wondering, shouldn't you be hit capped with 5.34% hit, and not 6%?
    Hit cap for ranged is 15%.

Intellect is just converted to spellpower, I believe at roughly 1:3? ratio, but I may be wrong and it might be higher. Spellpower is factored into the calculations for each spell, so not every spell scales the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Hit cap for ranged is 15%.

Intellect is just converted to spellpower, I believe at roughly 1:3? ratio, but I may be wrong and it might be higher. Spellpower is factored into the calculations for each spell, so not every spell scales the same way.
    I'm talking about PvP hit cap.

You are not helping a single bit...

Deleted
    Exactly how does intellect work?

Thats an intelligent question!

For every point of intelect I believe you get 1 point of spell power, plus an amount of spell crit that I don't remember. All of your spells scale with the amount of spell power. For example, fireball does 1374 to 1748 + 150% of Spell power damage. So for every point of spell power you get, fireball does 1.5 damage more. How this impacts your dps involves a number of other stats, but this should give you the basic idea

The same way agi and str work to some degree?
    Int give spellpower and some minor crit. Int to spellpower is a 1:1 ratio. 1000 int + any int modifiers like your class armor spec and stats buff. Then you add spellpower modifiers. So 1,000 int from gear would give ~1,200+ spellpower.
    Then you take a spell's base damage + their spellpower coefficient so know how hard that spell hits (without any additional modifiers). Random example with fake numbers would be Boombolt hits for 5,000 + 100% spellpower modifier. Say you have 5,000 spellpower, the spell will hit for 10,000.

If 1,000 pvp power gives you 5% more damage and you're hitting for 10,000, it will give you 500 damage. 1,000 int would give you 1,200 more damage. Once you get 20,000 more int though, you are now hitting for 34,000 and that 5% is now giving you 1,700 damage making it better than int.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Solial; 2014-04-21 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you... Are you serious right now?

--SNIP--

Memes are not allowed here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-04-21 at 09:06 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Are you... Are you serious right now?

For me it isn't very clear. It says "ranged" stats. Does that only apply to hunters? I guess it doesn't apply to my spells since they are "spell" stats. What does "ranged" stats mean for mages?

i.imgur com / VroXu7t.png

For me it isn't very clear. It says "ranged" stats. Does that only apply to hunters? I guess it doesn't apply to my spells since they are "spell" stats. What does "ranged" stats mean for mages?

"Ranged" damage is indeed only for ranged physical damage. "Spell" is for all spell damage, I believe. I suppose it might apply to your wand-based autoattacks, but I'm not certain.

Melee, ranged, spell, defense are just groupings to group stats, each of those rolls use, together. Notice how both spell and ranged list crit, haste, mastery, and hit? While ranged lists expertise and spell does not? Ignore ranged. All of the stats mage's use that are listed under ranged are also listed under spells.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Melee, ranged, spell, defense are just groupings to group stats, each of those rolls use, together. Notice how both spell and ranged list crit, haste, mastery, and hit? While ranged lists expertise and spell does not? Ignore ranged. All of the stats mage's use that are listed under ranged are also listed under spells.
    Hmm ok, but how come Ranged Crit Chance differs from Spell Crit Chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because intellect increases spell crit chance and not melee or ranged crit chances. Similarly, if you were a hunter, your ranged crit chance would be higher than your spell crit chance due to the crit from agility.

Intellect increases spell crit chance but does not increase ranged crit chance. The ranged tab is all physical damage (it's used pretty much solely by hunters) while the spell tab is all spell damage and is used by all ranged casters as well as any spell attacks used by healers.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned by others, it increases both your spell damage and critical strike chance. I usually suggest this to people if they don't want the headache of dealing with calculations: use ask Mr. robot or the like to check what your gear would look like after alterations. The site can even suggest gems / reforges and such for your gear to achieve the optimal setup, it may need minor tweaking but i would still recommend it.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" ~Einstein
    Wish more people would take that to heart.

The Intellect to Critical Chance ratio is currently a bit difficult to find but it is very, very small. Something as low as on the order of "0.00039% to Crit per point of intellect." It may also still differ between the classes. Agility to crit's ratio is much, much higher.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."