10+ Year Old Account

Is there any way to make Wowhead links work on MMOC forum posts?

I understand if this is disabled because Curse vs. ZAM and they want you using WoWDB, not competitor DBs.

But (no offense intended guys ) Wowhead tends to be cleaner, more polished, more accurate, less laggy, etc. WoWDB is a bit of an awkward clunkfest by comparison.

Is there any way to make Wowhead links work in MMOC forum posts (for popup tooltips), eg for writing guides, etc? Or is this deliberately not enabled and you are explicitly intended to use WoWDB links?

Not a huge deal either way, but I've been wondering about this a long time so decided to just ask and settle it for my own knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll have to use wowdb for popup tooltips; that is all that is enabled here. That said, I don't think it should matter for your purposes? Even if you find wowhead to be a superior site to visit, tooltips are tooltips. To me, it doesn't seem like it would really matter which site you like better since it's not like people are going to be following the links for Sinister Strike or whatever. The important part is having those tooltips popup in your guide for your users, and those will be the same either way.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    It's three things primarily, and again I don't mean any offense to the people who work hard on WowDB:
    • Accuracy. Wowhead tends to get their data in order better. WowDB catches up, but when discussing eg, very recent Alpha builds, WowDB has quirky stuff like every single buff and debuff being 10 second duration (while Wowhead had all the current durations already in place at time of posting). I just trust Wowhead a lot more.
    • Responsiveness. I can't speak for everyone, but WowDB tooltips just randomly stop working. I don't know if it's lag from server response or something else, but I can sit my cursor over a WowDB link for 60+ seconds and get no popup. Later I come back, and they randomly all work instantly again. I pretty much never have issues with Wowhead tooltip responsiveness.
    • Ease of use. Wowhead is a well-organized, quick-loading dream to browse. WowDB is sluggish and much less intuitive to navigate. It gets the job done, and sometimes it even has info Wowhead doesn't, but usually it just feels like a penalty to resort to WowDB. I would never do it if it weren't for the forum tooltip limitations.

I really like this site, the people on it (mostly...), and the forums you provide. I don't want to seem like a brat or anything. I'm just being honest about why I absolutely prefer ZAM's version in nearly every way.

That said, it is your (Curse's?) forums I'm using, and in that matter the situation is inverted — the Wowhead forums are a terrible cesspool IMO (sorry Wowhead! ♥) and I would never give up the discussions on MMOC. If that means using WowDB, then, you know... I'll survive.

But I wanted to make sure.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-04-23 at 07:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Wowdb was created to replace db.mmo-champion.com which was created because Wowhead refused to work with us years ago and we needed it to run MMO-Champion. There is absolutely no way for a company as big as Wowhead/Zam/Tencent Games to work with MMO-Champion in the first place because it would require us to have access to absolutely everything they have, which is a pretty good reason to refuse.

The first goal was to provide better content on MMO-Champion compared to what we had with db.mmo-champion.com and we achieved that goal pretty easily. It also brought some competition back to the market and improved things indirectly for everyone, including people who use Wowhead. Competition is always good.

WoWDB is mostly a "hey let's see what we can do with this" project with no real goal. It's a 100% money sink for the company and even if we added an ad slot somewhere it would still be a pretty huge money loss. The main goal is really just to support MMO-Champion's news and make our life easier on this side.

However, I'm glad that some people/other major sites adopted it because it lets me work with smart minds that provide us with a decent amount of feedback and let us improve our database platform altogether (contributing to the success of gw2db.com for example) but I'm not really on a crusade to destroy Wowhead, otherwise I wouldn't have them listed as the most obvious link on every page you click.
    Not empty quoting.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK.

But.

How come every other forum I post on supports Wowhead links?

(not rhetorical)

Like yeah Google just brought me this: How make Wowhead links show up on your website

I honestly apologize if I'm just dumb (it's an issue for sure), but why can't that same process be applied here? Is it just considered poor taste to support a competitor network's tooltips?
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-04-23 at 01:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be used here, and I believe it was at one point. It isn't now because MMOC uses wowdb to power their news, and because wowdb is a Curse site while wowhead is owned by a competitor.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    OK.

TY guys.