Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Resto] How much Spirit do you use?

I made my first foray into healing after 7 years a few months ago. I've been fine tuning it since then. Last night was my first time in 10s and we cleared wing 1 with no problems and I didn't have to use Innervate much. Once we got to Galakras, though, I ran out of mana (with 2 innervates during the fight) by the time he was shot down.

I've been using Ask Mr. Robot with custom weights. I'm doing 13163/37.52% haste and set my Spirit to 12000 using the Total Effective Spirit option (including trinket/meta/enchant procs) which gives me 8566 Spirit in character sheet value.

I'm thinking about tweaking these numbers so I thought I'd post here and see what other Resto Druids run with.

I stopped raiding on my druid, but when I did I had a little over 11k (character sheet) with the blackfuse regen trinket and I should probably have had less. I healed 9/14h with a disc priest without ever having mana issues.

The optimal spirit value depends much on play style, and it also takes a bit to get used to having low spirit. Generally, you should have enough spirit to (barely) not go oom on the most mana-intensive fight, and try to keep that value as low as possible through your play style.

8.5k spirit sounds pretty low, and I have no idea what is included in this total effective spirit (do you have meta + regen trinket? That would give much more than 12k effective spirit.)
    Personally, the most mana I needed in SoO heroic was on Thok, and I did that with 12k spirit plus DSD trinket. Of course, that's overkill for most other fights.

tk;dr you should be able to clear SoO normal with your regen, but if you go oom, use more.

Depends on how many Shamans and priests you have.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did most of our 10H Progression with:

Haste to 13163
    Spirit to ~12000-13000 character sheet value
    Mastery > Crit

I think I was using a Warforged Normal Thok Healing trinket and a Heroic Thunderforged HLG for most of progression as well - Trinkets pretty much didn't drop for me until after we killed Heroic Garrosh.

Realistically I could bring my Spirit down even more from where it is at now - but I haven't had a super compelling reason to do so. It might not be a terrible idea though - there is value in getting used to healing in a world where mana matters again.
    Jellogtwo - Druid - Royal Militia [A10] - Main - 14/14H
    Jellog - Monk - Royal Militia [A10] - Alt - 14/14H

<Royal Militia> - 14/14H x2, US 27th (22nd for 10s only), is now recruiting all classes for WoD!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalur View Post
    The optimal spirit value depends much on play style, and it also takes a bit to get used to having low spirit. Generally, you should have enough spirit to (barely) not go oom on the most mana-intensive fight, and try to keep that value as low as possible through your play style.

8.5k spirit sounds pretty low, and I have no idea what is included in this total effective spirit (do you have meta + regen trinket? That would give much more than 12k effective spirit.)
    Personally, the most mana I needed in SoO heroic was on Thok, and I did that with 12k spirit plus DSD trinket. Of course, that's overkill for most other fights.

tk;dr you should be able to clear SoO normal with your regen, but if you go oom, use more.
    I probably should have linked my druid but I can't because I haven't posted enough here. She's Isabelline on Lothar if you want to look her up.

I have the legendary meta and the 540 version of the Blackfuse regen trinket. AMR thinks I should use Nazgrim's trinket and that it's my biggest improvement but icy-veins says I should use the Sha trinket all the time, use Thok's when stacked, and Blackfuse for every other situation. What's accurate?

What I want to avoid is getting into the fight and letting my team down because I OOM. That's why I'm here trying to figure out how to not overdo it. I didn't want to to go to 13k if that was overkill.
    Last edited by torena; 2014-04-22 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennoyer View Post
    Depends on how many Shamans and priests you have.
    This is a big factor^

If you are in a 25 man with more than one resto shaman, and multiple priest it can DRASTICALLY lower how much spirit you need

anywhere from 10-15k spirit can work depending on ur gear, raid size/comp and difficulty ur raiding. (For example, doing 10 man heroics with no priests or resto shaman, an no damn spirit trinket from Siege, grrr - running amp and cleave trinket, I run with 15k spirit which is a bit high for me atm, prolly dropping down to 14k. If i could get my hands on the spirit trinket, i'd drop down prolly to no more than 12k)

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    This is a big factor^

If you are in a 25 man with more than one resto shaman, and multiple priest it can DRASTICALLY lower how much spirit you need

anywhere from 10-15k spirit can work depending on ur gear, raid size/comp and difficulty ur raiding. (For example, doing 10 man heroics with no priests or resto shaman, an no damn spirit trinket from Siege, grrr - running amp and cleave trinket, I run with 15k spirit which is a bit high for me atm, prolly dropping down to 14k. If i could get my hands on the spirit trinket, i'd drop down prolly to no more than 12k)
    We're just a little 10 man team. Composition varies.. last night we had 3 priests (2 disc, 1 shadow).

What is amp trinket?

The Prismatic Prism of Pride (from Sha of Pride)
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=102299/p...rison-of-pride

I use 14k (character sheet) spirit for 25 man heroic raiding and i find it perfect. 12/14 heroic atm.

12k Spirit for Heroic 10 man. Seems a little low for some fights, a little high for others. Usually we can find another way to take less damage if I feel like I'm running out of mana.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I'm not currently healing, but when I was it was myself and a Mistweaver. No priest in the group, a lack of mana tide coupled with only 1 devo aura and 2 DKs running Amz if applicable to fight (no warriors for reductions) I was running about 14.5k spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

As others have mentioned in the thread, raid size and composition matters a lot. I run with a resto shaman and 2-3 priests in my 25m so I can go as low as 10k and still feel fine on most fights.
    Twitter

RIP Summon Stone - Resto Druid Guide Relocated to Wowhead!

As Lavathing mention raid composition is matter alot liek 10 have low healing requirement than 25s but in 25 peeps have quite a lot other CD's like mana tide, hym of hope, and other druids Innervate.

Link you armory here so we can actually give you some good tips depending on your gears Askmrobot is kind of outofdate i think due to with my gear he suggest me to stack spirit

I'm using just over 11k spirit for 10H. No regen trinket (I don't want to know how many seals I've wasted on Blackfuse). Mana isn't really a problem. I'd try going lower if I could, but I already reforged it all away and the only way I could go lower is to start breaking socket bonuses.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by devildjz View Post
    Link you armory here so we can actually give you some good tips depending on your gears Askmrobot is kind of outofdate i think due to with my gear he suggest me to stack spirit
    I listed my toon's name/server in an earlier post. When I try to link it and post it here I get an error because I have not posted enough to include links in my posts.

Like I said in my first post, I am doing custom weights in Ask Mr. Robot just so I can have him do the math for me as far as gems/enchants/reforges to reach the right numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate everyone's responses! I'm going to jump up to 12k as we continue to progress through 10N and see how it goes.

Just some more general advice for helping ur healing i would make a pretty big Weak Aura for the META Proc cause it sooo important to keep track of and i would also drop down to the first haste bp of 3043 an reforge rest to mastery u don't need to hit 13kbp in 10m in my eyes especially since it sounds like ur still gearing. Also reforge light is a great addon for in game reforge help.

12k is my sweet spot, but as other have mentioned, spirit is a very individual case from player to player. The best way is to test it out by yourself with different values, to see how low you can go without it feeling uncomfortable.

8k. Love it. Makes healing somewhat difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by torena View Post
    which gives me 8566 Spirit in character sheet value
    This seems a little low to me, esp if you're just starting out. I run with around 12k on my char sheet with 2 regen trinkets & meta gem. I'd say you should aim to raise your spirit by 2-4k and see how you like it.