Page 1 of 42
... LastLast

Racism defeated in Michigan

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ege-admissions

The supreme court ruled to uphold a Michigan law requiring that everyone in Michigan should be treated equally, and colleges and business's can no longer treat people differently based on race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great....can they extend that ruleing to gays too?

"Kennedy stressed that the case was not about the constitutionality or merits of the race-conscious admission policies of colleges and universities, but instead hinged on whether voters in the state may choose to prohibit consideration of such preferences."

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    It would be nice if they did.

Sorry, this ruling doesn't mean what you're trying to say it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ege-admissions

The supreme court ruled to uphold a Michigan law requiring that everyone in Michigan should be treated equally, and colleges and business's can no longer treat people differently based on race.
    They didn't say affirmative action was unconstitutional. They just said the law banning it was constitutional. Big difference.

But I'm glad they've apparently ended all racism in Michigan

Seems so archaic for 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    They didn't say affirmative action was unconstitutional. They just said the law banning it was constitutional. Big difference.

Well, the gov't can only pass the law, enforcing colleges and business's to treat everyone equally still may take some work.

10+ Year Old Account
    So can colleges there no longer give preference to people from minority races? Or was this kind of the opposite thing?
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Doesn't ''everyone'' include gays? In my world it does, but in Michigan it still is some sort of alien form?:P

Deleted
    This is only just happening in the year 2014? So sad.

I find nothing disagreeable, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Let's be serious, Affirmative Action is the last bastion of racism. Now the white person can join minorities in basking in the glory of unabated liberty and equality. Let this cry forever ring in the ears of our descendents: Racism is dead, and we are its murderers.

(I actually have no idea what Prop 2 says since I wasn't quite old enough to vote at the time, but I'm against strong AA and support weak AA)
    Free at last! Freeee at laaast!

Now let's all go celebrate at Applebees with the other white people and be in bed by 9.

Deleted
    So it's mostly a move against minority students.
    "African American undergraduate enrollment fell by 33 percent between 2006 the year before Proposal 2 could have affected admissions and 2012, even as overall enrollment grew by 10 percent. During the same period, Hispanic enrollment declined by 10 percent."

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

Steve Utash's attackers didn't get that memo about racism ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    This is only just happening in the year 2014? So sad.
    "Affirmative action or positive discrimination[1] (known as employment equity in Canada, reservation in India, and positive action in the UK) is the policy of providing special opportunities for, and favoring members of, a disadvantaged group who suffer from discrimination."

Taken from wikipedia (oh noes!) I find it to be kind of upsetting that it HAS to exist, but in some ways it does-but not to the extent it does now. People should get in on the merits of the schoolwork they did, not just because they happen to be black/native american and they need to get dat quota!
    You're a towel.

Certainly good to see 'affirmative action' being called out for what it is; with regard to race at least. Can't see anything similar happening in Britain, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    So it's mostly a move against minority students.
    "African American undergraduate enrollment fell by 33 percent between 2006 the year before Proposal 2 could have affected admissions and 2012, even as overall enrollment grew by 10 percent. During the same period, Hispanic enrollment declined by 10 percent."
    The only problem with that line of thought-maybe those 33% would not have gotten in if they did not even put a race down on the application, based on the merit of there work? Why should a specific race get "bonus points" just because they are that race?
    You're a towel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not being allowed to be racist towards a group of individuals based on their genetically shared physical features, or their culture, is racist against me!

(am I doing it right? I feel like I'm not privileging hard enough)
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    People should get in on the merits of the schoolwork they did, not just because they happen to be black/native american and they need to get dat quota!
    They do get in based on the merits of their schoolwork. They aren't given exceptions to academic requirements or something.