Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question I tired from to be a «Russia Dude»

You can think that it’s kind of joke, but I really want to speak about this bizarre trouble. Today, we all have access to some programs that can help us to find a raid/battleground which we want to visit. Yes, I am talking about OpenRaid, oQueue. So, everybody who wants to find an appropriate team or who doesn’t have a good guild fellow, they can use this stuff. When I have said «everybody», I mean people from different servers, including Russian Community. So, I want to explain my opinion about some points.

First of all, it is a large number of stereotypes. I have looked through the forum on this web-site, games and etc. I see that you guys have very strange and awkward perception about Russian people. Yes, I know that some Russian individuals like to promote stupid ideas such as «All Russian people drink VODKA every day and every moment» or «Bears are everywhere». But seriously, pals! Do you really believe in that? I tired from that. Stop it. Russian people are an usual society like yours. For example, I have a friend who doesn’t like to drink an alcohol. Moreover, I don’t like this stuff. Also, we have usual cities and the same infrastructure as yours. Maybe, they work slightly different, but they do the same functions. People work on their jobs, they like to spend time with friends or family on the weekend and we don’t use bears as vehicles. You can see wild animals only in a zoo like you can find in yours cities. I don’t want to speak about all stupid stereotypes, but I think that you understand my idea. Although there is one small remark about behavior. Maybe, you often see that Russian guys show moron actions but what about you? Think about that. Everybody sometimes can present a stupid behavior or an inappropriate activity. Maybe, some person can show it more often than other fellows, but it describes only the person, but not the entire nation.

Also, it is a bad Russian dude. One time, I have started to use oQueue because I could not find people and also I didn’t want to go raid on a define schedule (every Friday at 7 PM… you know what I mean). So, I uploaded the addon and started to use it. After some time, I have got some strange perception about Russian players. Some people give them beforehand a negative attitude. Yes, I agree that some players have an inadequate behavior but it doesn’t mean that all gamers have the same attributes. For instance, I have my experience when players give me strange comments and emphasize my nationality in negative colors. However, I make my «role» properly. Also, one time I went through all raid in the tank role and on the last boss a raid leader kicked me out from raid without any explanation. He ignored all my questions and he started to ask his friends about a tank spec. After some time, he decided to answer my questions but his answer was really weak. What I want to say here, that this man got a decision that he doesn’t want to speak with me and he doesn’t want to find appropriate way to complete raid which have been going without any problems. He kicked me out. That is all. It is really rude.

Likewise, I want to talk about this fact that Russian communities don’t know English language. I agree that we have poor knowledge in this field but it doesn’t mean that we cannot understand your jokes and unpleasant comments. I don’t know, but some guys really like to share some their opinion about Russian dudes with their friends in raids. Moreover, every time when I connect to international raids some guys decide that it is really important to point on me and my «stupid nickname» which they cannot read. It is really necessary to do?

Last point of my discussion, it is nickname. Fellows, you are one of the biggest game community and you have abilities and opportunities to say Blizzard about «what is strange and unreadable nickname?!!? How I have to handle that?!?». For example, when I was in university, I was working on one project which gave opportunity to convert Russian letters to English letters. I completed this work successfully. So, I can say that it is not big deal to develop option which can help you to understand Russian nicknames.

In conclusion, we are all different people and we all have different perceptions, attitudes. We can look on one thing with various opinions. I want you to start to look slightly different on Russian communities and I want you to stop call us in this way «Russian Community».

Thank you for your time.

Deleted
    Pretty good post, I've seen some of this nasty attitude towards russians too, and honestly I have met rather a lot of russians through my spamming of flex 2 for my shaman set, and most of them just get on with the raid, the ones that do talk are usually pleasant. I've seen bad ones obviously, but I've probably seen more bad people from other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Pretty good post, I've seen some of this nasty attitude towards russians too, and honestly I have met rather a lot of russians through my spamming of flex 2 for my shaman set, and most of them just get on with the raid, the ones that do talk are usually pleasant. I've seen bad ones obviously, but I've probably seen more bad people from other nations.
    It's the same stigma that got placed on Brazilians playing on the NA servers. When a group of people are pretty much "fresh" to the bulk of gamers, it only takes a few idiots to make the rest look bad. The assholes give a bad first impression of gamers from those regions, even if the bulk are just like any other player.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only Russians i have encountered have been in pvp and my only complaint is that their latency is often such that they just teleport all over the map. Making them immortal vs melee and very difficult to kill for ranged. Their healers can be gods that are literally impossible to interrupt or control because by the time you see a hardcast from one, it has been over and done with for a second and a half. This of course leads to cries of hacking and whines about Russian cheaters, etc, etc. The Cyrillic text is annoying as hell to when target calling, but that is a minor thing.

I have not encountered Brazilians in WoW, but i have encountered them in other MMOs and they seem to go out of their way to shit up any chat channel they are in with "BRBRBR BR <3 <3" spam. I know they aren't all doing it, but it does not take many to leave a bad impression of the whole.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha "and we don’t use bears as vehicles" made me laugh really hard.

Anyways, I've been grouped with a lot of Russian pugs through Oqueue, and they're no worse or better than the rest of us, overall it's been a pretty pleasant experience.

I think the problem people have with Russians in wow, is that we can't communicate. Your letters bug out my chat, and I have no way of understanding you unless you're one of the few Russians that type in English. In a pug where communication is important, it's easy to see why people are negative towards grouping with Russians, and vice versa i imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give kudos to you because you made valid points, OP. However, even if I know some individuals don't make it all bad, I can't avoid but to take a look at my past experiences.
    I just run Flex 4 - Garrosh, and every time I joined a group led by a russian (or someone whose nickname was russian) I always ended up asking things about how we would handle the fight, received replies in a language I didn't know, and after the first, confused wipe, raid leader left.
    This has happened to me all the times with a russian leader with russian folks in the raid. I'm not "that" kind of person, and even now, if I see a Flex 4 Garrosh group led by a russian-named person, I still ask for an invite, because I know not every russian is a bad player; that'd be dumb.

But given my experiences, I always fear the raid would disband after one wipe, and after no one explained what tactic we'd follow. Others, who somewhat shared, and as of today, share, some Oqueue events like these, might get annoyed at russians. And I met some of these, who sworn they'd never group with a russian again.

It's a game, I trust everyone and I trust no one, I give everyone a chance to prove themselves. Things get out of hand when (by chance, by mood, by anything) a part of the community earns such reputation, and some get too jaded to see it's unfair to judge like this. I've never judged you, but I did get annoyed sometimes.

(Off topic, have you ever made a character on Crushridge before italian servers were opened? I'm italian, and when I got there, I had to leave after one month, with stereotypes in my mind against my own nation...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Good post OP, maybe it will give players something to contemplate.

Hopefully servers -- not just EU with Russia but also NA with Brazil -- can do a little better at working cooperatively and giving players a chance to prove themselves because assuming they are bad simply because of the country they happen to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebec View Post
    we don’t use bears as vehicles.
    I had never heard this stereotype, but now that I have, I wish it was true.

AND ADMIT IT - YOU WISH IT WAS TOO. YOU WANT A RIDING BEAR.

Who doesn't want to ride a bear to work? I mean, really.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    To me, anyone who cannot read russian names is illiterate. In today's world it's not too much to ask for basic knowledge, such as being able to read latin and cyrillic letters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    To me, anyone who cannot read russian names is illiterate. In today's world it's not too much to ask for basic knowledge, such as being able to read latin and cyrillic letters.
    It's a question of whether it is worth the time, for most people, they will never encounter it in their lives, and for a select few others, the only time we see it is in situations like this, in a game world. Sure it would be great if everyone could learn to read different alphabets, but to expect everyone to learn them is pretty far fetched.

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably an echo of Soviet tropes, amplified by current Ukrainian crisis with its aggressive anti-Russian campaign in media. And here you have it, dehumanizing people for nationality.

Deleted
    I love Russians. Maybe it's because I've been to Russia once and got to know the country a bit.
    Maybe the fact that I can read the Cyrillic language and thus understand their names helps a bit as well.

I do agree with your post however. People have a negative attitude towards Russians based on stereotypes.
    As much as I can understand that this annoys the crap out of you, I'd say ignore it. Because those shortsighted, narrowminded people aren't worth your time. Why would you let anyone as stupid as that ruin your gaming experience and fun?

I personally don't have anything against Russians. I have always been fascinated by the language and the country.
    The only time I don't like Russians is in PvP, because as soon as I press Shift + Space and see a bunch of Russian names I know I'm going to get my ass handed to me. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You can think that it’s kind of joke, but I really want to speak about this bizarre trouble. Today, we all have access to some programs that can help us to find a raid/battleground which we want to visit. Yes, I am talking about OpenRaid, oQueue. So, everybody who wants to find an appropriate team or who doesn’t have a good guild fellow, they can use this stuff. When I have said «everybody», I mean people from different servers, including Russian Community. So, I want to explain my opinion about some points.

First of all, it is a large number of stereotypes. I have looked through the forum on this web-site, games and etc. I see that you guys have very strange and awkward perception about Russian people. Yes, I know that some Russian individuals like to promote stupid ideas such as «All Russian people drink VODKA every day and every moment» or «Bears are everywhere». But seriously, pals! Do you really believe in that? I tired from that. Stop it. Russian people are an usual society like yours. For example, I have a friend who doesn’t like to drink an alcohol. Moreover, I don’t like this stuff. Also, we have usual cities and the same infrastructure as yours. Maybe, they work slightly different, but they do the same functions. People work on their jobs, they like to spend time with friends or family on the weekend and we don’t use bears as vehicles. You can see wild animals only in a zoo like you can find in yours cities. I don’t want to speak about all stupid stereotypes, but I think that you understand my idea. Although there is one small remark about behavior. Maybe, you often see that Russian guys show moron actions but what about you? Think about that. Everybody sometimes can present a stupid behavior or an inappropriate activity. Maybe, some person can show it more often than other fellows, but it describes only the person, but not the entire nation.

Also, it is a bad Russian dude. One time, I have started to use oQueue because I could not find people and also I didn’t want to go raid on a define schedule (every Friday at 7 PM… you know what I mean). So, I uploaded the addon and started to use it. After some time, I have got some strange perception about Russian players. Some people give them beforehand a negative attitude. Yes, I agree that some players have an inadequate behavior but it doesn’t mean that all gamers have the same attributes. For instance, I have my experience when players give me strange comments and emphasize my nationality in negative colors. However, I make my «role» properly. Also, one time I went through all raid in the tank role and on the last boss a raid leader kicked me out from raid without any explanation. He ignored all my questions and he started to ask his friends about a tank spec. After some time, he decided to answer my questions but his answer was really weak. What I want to say here, that this man got a decision that he doesn’t want to speak with me and he doesn’t want to find appropriate way to complete raid which have been going without any problems. He kicked me out. That is all. It is really rude.

Likewise, I want to talk about this fact that Russian communities don’t know English language. I agree that we have poor knowledge in this field but it doesn’t mean that we cannot understand your jokes and unpleasant comments. I don’t know, but some guys really like to share some their opinion about Russian dudes with their friends in raids. Moreover, every time when I connect to international raids some guys decide that it is really important to point on me and my «stupid nickname» which they cannot read. It is really necessary to do?

Last point of my discussion, it is nickname. Fellows, you are one of the biggest game community and you have abilities and opportunities to say Blizzard about «what is strange and unreadable nickname?!!? How I have to handle that?!?». For example, when I was in university, I was working on one project which gave opportunity to convert Russian letters to English letters. I completed this work successfully. So, I can say that it is not big deal to develop option which can help you to understand Russian nicknames.

In conclusion, we are all different people and we all have different perceptions, attitudes. We can look on one thing with various opinions. I want you to start to look slightly different on Russian communities and I want you to stop call us in this way «Russian Community».

Thank you for your time.
    Delightful post, Quebec. Hope it will let people understand a little more. Though, sadly from my side I understand the view many has as well. If you queue for PvP in Europe, you have a 50/50 chance of the whole opposing team to be russians. Then from there, a 33% chance if most being bots, premade or a honest group. It creates annoying moments. Many times it is due to the opposing team all hiding at a boss/flag and hope to harvest kills.

Previous battleground I was in, meeting russian players, they decided to not do the battleground, but stand on our graveyard and zerg anything spawning.

I think people's behavior is just built on what they experience. Of course, I know that every human is different, and I do know a good few russians who's been kind to me over the many years of WoW.

But lately, a common term has appeared when you enter a 40 man BG, "Oh god, russians". Lately this feels weird, I don't hold hate to any sides. I just wonder how the queue system doesn't mix up people as it normally does, you don't see like a french server in it, only russian servers when in such a group.

Think that is where many just call you, "russian community" because you are 90% of the times only queued into a BG with a full russian setup? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Good post OP, maybe it will give players something to contemplate.

Hopefully servers -- not just EU with Russia but also NA with Brazil -- can do a little better at working cooperatively and giving players a chance to prove themselves because assuming they are bad simply because of the country they happen to live in.

I had never heard this stereotype, but now that I have, I wish it was true.

AND ADMIT IT - YOU WISH IT WAS TOO. YOU WANT A RIDING BEAR.

I don't? Pretty sure that bear will be tougher than me, and then I'll just come to work with no lunch. When off duty, I would have to poke it with a stick in hope it'll wake up?

And think the bear thing was a joke on Putin (Link is off-topic for the actual discussion, just used for reference), if I recall.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    TL;DR:
    People on the internet tend to be ass wipes, deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Well, there's that saying about some days you ride the bear to work and some days he rides you. No, wait. It was something about eating now that I think about it. Never mind.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Your two examples of "basic knowldge" is an extinct language and something from the Western Bloc. Hrm, okay, we might as well add Japanese kanji, viking runes and the Greek alphabet to the list then.

Reading is not the same as comprehending.

I've only ever met one Russian IRL. A bus driver that does between city slogs. I overheard some people on the bus saying he was rude or whatever. He might have come off a little curt, but to me, he is the most professional driver I have ever had. Really nice guy, too, if you make time for a chat. He wears leather driving gloves and once said "I do not play music during the journey, I have not played music during the journey for 15 years, and I probably never will play music during the journey."
    Last edited by CataclismicSunrise; 2014-04-29 at 07:06 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, "Russian way" is "corrupt when convenient/expedient/necessary" which is a fun way to play WoW I suppose.

Deleted
    Hahaha well if I'm not as an ignorant fool as you, I'm glad I'm ''illiterate''

Btw, did you forget to add Chinese characters? Fool. Most spoken language in the world and that instantly makes you illiterate. Go home now.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, it is a large number of stereotypes. I have looked through the forum on this web-site, games and etc. I see that you guys have very strange and awkward perception about Russian people. Yes, I know that some Russian individuals like to promote stupid ideas such as «All Russian people drink VODKA every day and every moment» or «Bears are everywhere». But seriously, pals! Do you really believe in that? I tired from that. Stop it. Russian people are an usual society like yours. For example, I have a friend who doesn’t like to drink an alcohol. Moreover, I don’t like this stuff. Also, we have usual cities and the same infrastructure as yours. Maybe, they work slightly different, but they do the same functions. People work on their jobs, they like to spend time with friends or family on the weekend and we don’t use bears as vehicles. You can see wild animals only in a zoo like you can find in yours cities. I don’t want to speak about all stupid stereotypes, but I think that you understand my idea. Although there is one small remark about behavior. Maybe, you often see that Russian guys show moron actions but what about you? Think about that. Everybody sometimes can present a stupid behavior or an inappropriate activity. Maybe, some person can show it more often than other fellows, but it describes only the person, but not the entire nation..
    There are prejudices and steriotypes for every nationlities..
    Russians: They all drink vodka for water..
    Swedes: Drunk and ugly teeth..
    Danes: Racists and blond willing girls..
    Americans: Gun crazy hillbillies..
    Germans: Efficient but devoid of humor.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my drift..

Point is: Just ignore steriotypes and work towards disproving prejudice of your nationality.. It's only little people, who keep it alive..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

You can be anyone, from anywhere, at any time, and you can be sure you'll find someone who is prejudiced against you in some way. Really I'd take it with some self-irony and laugh about it, for example I'm from Finland and some uneducated people think it's an arctic country with polar bears running around. If anything I pitty these kinds of people's lack of common sense and basic education... I've learned from the internet that if you don't want some dumbass giving you stereotype babbles you better just don't say where you are from, unless they are really your friend.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Deleted
    Russian people are an usual society like yours.
    Man I understand your point and I'm fully behind you as a person but..
    Russia is HUGE country which is historically demanding strong leader, dictator. Combined with agency of modern mafia (oligarchs and financial groups) which is present in Russia maybe even more than anywhere else we get capricious force we have to be afraid of. Look @ Russian actions after WW2 (communism) or what is goin on in Ukraine. Do you feel same about UK or Sweden or Slovak Republic ?