15+ Year Old Account

Computer "crashes"

Hi guys,

I've been having some issues with my computer, unlike any I've run into before.
    It only seems to be happening in the game War Thunder at the moment, I've tried making a thread on their forums but the tech support is pretty meh so I'm gonna try my luck here.

After about 1-5 minutes of playing (seems to be very random) my monitor loses the signal from my PC and my sound cuts out. The computer itself is still on so I think that rules out a power supply issue. It's almost as if it loses all communication with my peripherals. Only way to fix it is to hard reset the computer.

Any idea what might be causing such a crash? I have never seen anything like this ever before. Didn't notice it happening while playing another game so far.

Deleted
    Bro if that works you thank this guy (Kareem)
    "remove your power cord and hold the on button for 30second to a minute and then connect it back and turn it on"

Deleted
    sounds like your gpu is overheating. Download a program called speedfan and monitor your gpu temp during play. If it's particularly high (>80 ish degrees Celsius) then you probably need to check that your gpu is getting cooled properly. Often what causes it is a build up of dust or broken fans, usually the former.

Edit, the crash is a built-in function to stop your gpu from remaining at damaging temps for too long, in case you were wondering what the connection was!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devorawn View Post
    sounds like your gpu is overheating. Download a program called speedfan and monitor your gpu temp during play. If it's particularly high (>80 ish degrees Celsius) then you probably need to check that your gpu is getting cooled properly. Often what causes it is a build up of dust or broken fans, usually the former.

Edit, the crash is a built-in function to stop your gpu from remaining at damaging temps for too long, in case you were wondering what the connection was!
    Weird that it has only happened in that game so far then... probably just because it's the most graphics-intense I guess. I'll give this a go, will check back later.

Edit: Yea, definitely hitting up to a 100 C, that can't be good. Recently dusted my entire setup, I wonder what's causing the problem :/
    Last edited by Sting; 2014-04-22 at 10:46 PM.

Deleted
    Are all the fans working properly? If you dusted recently you may have disconnected one from the motherboard, I've done it enough times :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Just checked that very issue, one of the two fans is hardly working.

Edit: They are built into the graphics card, so don't think I disconnected them.

Edit 2: It's one of these:

The fan on the right is the broken one. Any idea on how I go about fixing it? Tempted to get my room fan and point it at my opened case as a temporary workaround.
    Last edited by Sting; 2014-04-22 at 10:57 PM.

Deleted
    Ah, that narrows it down significantly!

It may just be a general failure. Depending on the graphics cards, sometimes individual fans can be removed and replaced. Might be worth checking into, the fans themselves are very cheap if you can replace them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    The fan on the right is the broken one. Any idea on how I go about fixing it? Tempted to get my room fan and point it at my opened case as a temporary workaround.
    Unfortunately, I don't

It might be worth contacting msi to see if replacement fan modules are available.

When my fans died on my gigabyte windforce (They were damaged when I was moving from my Uni dorms), I just took the entire module off and took the plunge (No pun intended) into watercooling. It's a very over-complicated solution, but it's one avenue if nothing else.

Anyway, do a google search and see if the problem is common now that you know what it is. You'll be surprised with the amount of fixing guides, work-arounds etc that are out there. And the desk
    fan might help a bit, there's no harm in testing it!