Poll: Have you ever been in a IRL 1v1 fight?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riaya View Post
    LOL. Considering from 4 years old I was raised to be perfect at the martial arts style I took there was no McDojo. Just the hours of being pushed to be perfect. I spent probably just as much on Karate from that age as much as I spent on school work. So you can QQ all you want and try and make it seem insignificant but I was one of the only ones ever in the style to get a black belt at the age I was.
    6th Grade ? 11-12 years old right?

Black belts taught properly take about 5 years minimum to obtain, and a 2nd dan will be 2-3years after that at the earliest. So lets say 7 years....you were 4-5 when you started? Ok, that tallies with what you said, I can buy that, but there is no way a 4-5 year old can properly learn a martial art, they lack the physical ability, its dangerous to train them properly as you can impact their developing bones, they lack the co-ordination and quite frankly the maturity. Proper martial art training could legitimately be classed as child abuse if you subjected a kid that age to it.
    Yeah, you can probably learn the moves, but I dont think it likely that you can learn the necessary mental attributes and physical prowess to actually perform them every time on instinct.

I'm not saying it was a mcdojo...but any proper martial arts school would never award a black belt to someone that age...at the very least they award child-belts, and make you demonstrate the necessary skills once you are an adult before you get a full black belt awarded.

Also, you "caught his fist".....lol, wtf? I think you've seen too many jackie chan films mate. No one does that, no one trains to do that, no one with any training has ever ever attempted that because not to put it bluntly, its fucking stupid. If you had any training at all, that is not what you would do, instinct would kick in and you'd execute a proper defense.

Also "raised to be perfect"? really? lol. Well at the age of 3 I was personally selected to be taken to a shaolin temple where I was put through gruelling ordeals that involved fighting 47 black belts, whilst I was blindfolded, with my hands tied behind my back...oh oh, and perched on logs over a pit of fire.....lol.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-05-18 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I have a 1.5 inch scar on the back of my head when I tried to walk away from a fight (I was 18), fucker hit me with a brick. I remember feeling a bang, things went white for a few seconds, I fought this guy for a short while, he scarpered with his mates and I went to walk home. Next thing I remember is a paramedic slapping my face telling me I had to go to hospital, fuck ever walking away ever again. You run or fight, never walk.
    Ouch!
    Running it is then.
    Unless dogs are present. Then running = bad Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Ouch!
    Running it is then.
    Unless dogs are present. Then running = bad Idea.
    Carry around a foghorn, and a flaregun. If it doesn't scare them off, at least the paramedics will be able to find you.

I've never really understood how people actually get into fights. It seems to happen the most when I see it to other people due to alcohol and oddly perceived slights to their pride or something.

Since I mean, if you go around acting like an asshole then ya, you're probably going to get into some fights.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    I've never really understood how people actually get into fights. It seems to happen the most when I see it to other people due to alcohol and oddly perceived slights to their pride or something.

Since I mean, if you go around acting like an asshole then ya, you're probably going to get into some fights.
    You are correct that booze and drugs are involved in the majority of fights, but what can you do when you you are sober and the other guys have been on something? You cannot talk your way out of a fight with someone that is drunk or drugged, you need fight or flight.

You are correct that booze and drugs are involved in the majority of fights, but what can you do when you you are sober and the other guys have been on something? You cannot talk your way out of a fight with someone that is drunk or drugged, you need fight or flight.
    I've just never personally ran across someone that messed up, could be the company I keep or the places I prefer to go. I just never have needed to fight like that.

Deleted
    I've just never personally ran across someone that messed up, could be the company I keep or the places I prefer to go. I just never have needed to fight like that.
    Be glad of it and hopefully it will always be like that for you, but many people have no choice but to enter these areas.

Be glad of it and hopefully it will always be like that for you, but many people have no choice but to enter these areas.
    No doubt, I'm ready to fight dirty though >;o

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unless bear-hugging a guy who was assaulting a friend of mine and whispering "If you dont calm down I will fucking break your arms and legs" in his ear counts as fighting...
    Then no, I've never really been in a proper fight (unless you count the kiddy-stuff from primary school).

Doesnt really make you any less of a man in my opinion.

But I have it easy since I'm big enough for most people not wanting to mess with me and some people to calm down if I threaten them with just words.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Feel free to further contextualize the incident.
    Jr. High, I was overweight, black in a primarily white school, had no interest in sports, and kept to myself. Real easy target for bullies and would-be bullies.

Waiting for a bus for a class field trip, another student approached me with a group of his friends, and began their usual tirade of insults and comments. They didn't like that I ignored them, when I'd usually just walk away. He hit me just under the left eye and walked off laughing. The teacher never saw the incident and I had no interest in causing a scene but another student reported it. I was marked as the instigator and punished accordingly.

I've trained in wrestling and mma/structured martial arts for 20 years. Been in tons of fights over the years and I can honestly say I learned nothing from them and every time I felt guilty afterwards for not just walking away without getting hurt or hurting someone.

That being said, I completely advocate learning some self-defense. But a real "man" diffuses the situation and doesn't have to throw a punch to prove anything.

You run or fight, never walk.
    Agree with that. Walking is sort of a tough guy move in it's own right. If you think the risk of injury is too high to stick around, why are you being nonchalant? Get the fuck out of there. If the guy actually chases someone that ran, well, then your bet that he wanted to do serious damage was right.

I guess I was OK with fighting a bit when I was younger, dumber, and felt like I had less to lose. Still didn't get into it much, just because I'm not the kind of person that either starts things or gets things started with him. Now, I'm pretty conflict averse and there's just nothing to really fight over once you get past peak testosterone years. Sparring with buddies is fun, but I'm not a fan of throwing punches, it's too easy for someone to screw up and do damage if there's not gloves etc.

Deleted

My job puts me in a position where I have to deal with some very very upset and angry people...although thats usually not that bad, but the potential is always there. I've had two people swing at me as part of my job, but it was never really that threatening.

I have however had someone draw a knife on me and try to mug me. Not a pleasant experience, and unfortunately I could not run as would be my first choice if at all possible.

I think people should learn to defend themselves, but ideally never actually have to. Getting into fights is stupid, no matter how well trained you think you are.