Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

WoD After blizzcon?

For some reason I see WoD happening after Blizzcon and not before, am I the only one?

Sorry if this thread already happened 1000 times, dont really know where to put this for discussion anymore...

Xmas sales might be nice for them? I really dont know but would love to hear ppl's theories about it.
    Last edited by Xeh.-; 2014-04-23 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be alright if it came out a few days after Blizzcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexsa View Post
    Would be alright if it came out a few days after Blizzcon.
    Seems accurate to me, a couple of guys i know think they will announce the release date at Blizzcon.... We all guessing of course but makes sense with xmas around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    Seems accurate to me, a couple of guys i know think they will announce the release date at Blizzcon.... We all guessing of course but makes sense with xmas around the corner.
    I'm feeling that unless WoD isn't coming out till right around that 12/20 date we will know the release before Blizzcon for sure. That said it's fairly possible that WoD won't release till after blizzcon with them using it as one last marketing push and as a platform for a WoW 10th anniversary celebration. I personally still think we are gonna get an october release and BLizzcon 14 will show off the first content patch but be more focused around Starcraft,Heroes of the storm,hearthstone and very possibly anew game announcement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sigh, after four expansions of explaining this here we are again. Christmas has no, I repeat, NO bearing on an established game's expansion release. WoW is not a one off, and WoD is not a sequel. Holiday seasons have do not influence games of this type, because the audience will purchase the expansion no matter when it is released. That isn't to say there are no holiday sales, but the vast majority of expansion purchases will happen no matter the release date.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will probably happen after Blizzcon because you don't want to launch a huge product with a giant convention a few weeks, or even a month, afterwards with all your devs drunk and tired at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    I'm feeling that unless WoD isn't coming out till right around that 12/20 date we will know the release before Blizzcon for sure. That said it's fairly possible that WoD won't release till after blizzcon with them using it as one last marketing push and as a platform for a WoW 10th anniversary celebration. I personally still think we are gonna get an october release and BLizzcon 14 will show off the first content patch but be more focused around Starcraft,Heroes of the storm,hearthstone and very possibly anew game announcement.
    That seems pretty possible also....

Moderators: Please dont close this unless there is a current "WoD release date theories/opinions" somewhere else. Thanks!

On-topic: I dont think Blizzard will release an expansion very close to a Blizzcon due to guilds pushing raiding progression and not giving a single F*** about Blizzcon.... Specially if they want to bring a Live Raid stage.

I can imagine a top guild... "Thanks for the live raid invite Blizzard but we wont be there because there is a final boss to kill"....
    Last edited by Xeh.-; 2014-04-23 at 02:11 AM.

I feel like it will launch the Tuesday after Blizzcon, or a month before that. The issue is this. If Blizzcon is before WoD's release, there won't really be any WoW panels because they can't talk about the expansion again otherwise we're entering spoiling territory, and they can't talk about 6.1+ because then once again, spoils.

However, if Blizzcon is out after Draenor's release, it will still be too early to discuss anything further with WoW. So either way, it will probably be a Starcraft, D3, Heroes, and Hearthstone Blizzcon, which means that a good majority of the Blizzard population will be let down. However, I feel if WoD launches mid September/Very Early October, Blizzard could safely assume that everyone already knows what happens in 6.0, and they can talk about the future of WoD.

I mean, even though the game is still in Alpha, they're already testing raid tuning and such, which means that it is possible to have an end of September release.

That seems pretty possible also....

Moderators: Please dont close this unless there is a current "WoD release date theories/opinions" somewhere else. Thanks!

On-topic: I dont think Blizzard will release an expansion very close to a Blizzcon due to guilds pushing raiding progression and not giving a single F*** about Blizzcon.... Specially if they want to bring a Live Raid stage.

I can imagine a top guild... "Thanks for the live raid invite Blizzard but we wont be there because there is a final boss to kill"....
    I see some truth there yeah. but if raid progression is anything like MoP then Normal mode will be down as soon as it opened heh.

Nah, I'm more into the September-October release beyond that is just ridiculous.

It wouldn't be entirely out of the question for Blizzard to simply talk about future things in the expansion, even if it's released before then. I doubt it will be released much before November, but they would still have plenty to talk about.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    It wouldn't be entirely out of the question for Blizzard to simply talk about future things in the expansion, even if it's released before then. I doubt it will be released much before November, but they would still have plenty to talk about.
    This is correct, they can talk about the future of the game but since they normally present something very interesting I would guess it would be patch information about NEXT raid after WoD release. That would mean they release the expansion at least 2 months before Blizzcon otherwise it makes no sense to talk about something that happens after the unreleased expansion...

It would have to be released 4 weeks minimum before Blizzcon if they want to have a live raid.

I presume there will be a Decemberish release date for the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Sigh, after four expansions of explaining this here we are again. Christmas has no, I repeat, NO bearing on an established game's expansion release. WoW is not a one off, and WoD is not a sequel. Holiday seasons have do not influence games of this type, because the audience will purchase the expansion no matter when it is released. That isn't to say there are no holiday sales, but the vast majority of expansion purchases will happen no matter the release date.
    Christmas will almost always generate more sales, if they release the middle of the summer months while people are busy then those people are not so inclined to buy. If they release in the primary gifting period where people often have time off work/school then they are going to sell more copies. Holiday seasons not influencing game sales, that's a load of rubbish.

Either way, Blizzcon is primarily a celebration of their main franchise, Warcraft.. It would make sense for them to have it in anticipation of the release of the game. A massive marketing opportunity to push the game just before a christmas season launch.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

This feels like the Blizzcon they held during Wrath (if my memory is correct), in that WoW was not a major part of it. They spent more time talking about Diablo/StarCraft and the 'future' then anything really concrete. But I get my Blizzcons mixed up and I swear they held one when nothing new was imminent so it was kind of a show up and give money to Blizzard so they could talk about stuff 2 years out.

Here is how I see it playing out. The pre-order already says the game should be out by some time in December. With the 10th anniversary and a Blizzcon right before then it feels like they'll show the intro video to WoD at Blizzcon, announce the 10th anniversary stuff (if any), and then give the concrete release date for WoD. 6.0 Probably hits around Blizzcon, we get a month of the pre-event (or close to it) then they launch WoD at the end of the month.

I fully expect Warlords to be released prior to BlizzCon. That said though, it'll probably be a special BlizzCon for World of Warcraft anyway, as it'll be celebrating its 10th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Christmas will almost always generate more sales, if they release the middle of the summer months while people are busy then those people are not so inclined to buy. If they release in the primary gifting period where people often have time off work/school then they are going to sell more copies. Holiday seasons not influencing game sales, that's a load of rubbish.

Either way, Blizzcon is primarily a celebration of their main franchise, Warcraft.. It would make sense for them to have it in anticipation of the release of the game. A massive marketing opportunity to push the game just before a christmas season launch.
    Or people won't buy it at Christmas because they've spent all their money on other things. Put a WoW expansion out at a dead time for anything else and it will probably sell more because people haven't got anything else to spend their money on and they know the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Or people won't buy it at Christmas because they've spent all their money on other things. Put a WoW expansion out at a dead time for anything else and it will probably sell more because people haven't got anything else to spend their money on and they know the brand.
    But it's proven that people spent more money on games and anything else at christmas time, people who want to buy/play games will be buying at christmas. It costs money all year round to live, christmas people will be spending money and gamers will be buying games. People are going to buy it no matter when they release it, but that does not mean that christmas won't see an increase in sales, statistics show it will.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I wonder what they would talk about at Blizzcon if WoD is already launched. Heroes of the Storm, maybe the protoss xpac? Doesn't seem like they would talk about anything wow related, maybe Titan if they are still working on that. No D3 xpac, no WoW xpac, maybe a hearthstone thing? But the naxxramas thing is launching this summer.