Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are daggers so big?

dag·ger
    ˈdagər/
    noun
    noun: dagger; plural noun: daggers

a short knife with a pointed and edged blade, used as a weapon.

And then we have nearly ever dagger for several raid tiers now being as big as 1h swords. Shouldn't daggers be smaller?

inb4 ermgh is this srsly what we're complaining about now!

Deleted
    1 handed weapons generally tend to be ridicilously oversized for some time now, while 2 handed weapons seem to shrink further each patch

Deleted
    To see the artwork, I presume.

1. Fantasy/Warcraft universe

2. Some daggers are fairly decent sized.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Because every rogue ever would cry if every tier their BiS weapon was just a 8 inch plain steel blade.

Don't play a Human Female/Undead Male Rogue by any means; the silly dagger sizes are particularly obvious on both of those race/gender combinations.

I actually wouldn't mind at all if Blizzard went in a less extravagant/flashy art direction in terms of armour/weapons. I suspect my opinion is in the minority, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorperior View Post
    Because every rogue ever would cry if every tier their BiS weapon was just a 8 inch plain steel blade.
    They don't have to be super tiny, but some are ridiculous. The PvP ones for this season come to mind. Those are huge and don't resemble daggers at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    If somebody told you that the size of the blade matters less than how you use it, it was because you have a small blade.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Not all daggers are big?
    Besides you think a raid boss or a raged filled warrior is going to flinch if you're poking him with a toothpick?

Deleted
    Because it's a fantasy game, and it would suck if we couldn't see our weapons. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    If somebody told you that the size of the blade matters less than how you use it, it was because you have a small blade.
    Actually studies have shown it's all about width, hence why we should get fat daggers that would make a larger wound, and not really long ones that can't stab all the way in. I'm not sure if I'm following your joke, or being dagger-accurate.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Same reason all the art has sucked in this game except for very few exceptions. Blizzard has a horrible art department and always has.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knough View Post
    Actually studies have shown it's all about width, hence why we should get fat daggers that would make a larger wound, and not really long ones that can't stab all the way in. I'm not sure if I'm following your joke, or being dagger-accurate.
    Thankfully, my daggers have always been blessed in both dimensions!
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

15+ Year Old Account

Blame WotLK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Not all daggers are big?
    Besides you think a raid boss or a raged filled warrior is going to flinch if you're poking him with a toothpick?
    I'd flinch if this was being stabbed into me:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=22266#screenshots:id=292677
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just wish we still weren't the (only) class who's still locked to use only one type of weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want even bigger daggers :P Or rather wide daggers not long daggers.

The legendary daggers Golad/Tiriosh are the nicest weapons this game has ever seen imo, want more looking like them!
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Deleted
    Daggers are not knifes, nor are they swords. I believe the swords are way to small to somewhat resemble the true size they used to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=55915

This is a Sword. Your move.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you don't know by now, there is an option called transmogrify your items. Just choose a standard dagger and overwrite the looks of your shiny epics and your problem is solved.

Have a nice day sir

There are a few items that are "badges of honor" so to say. Weapons and shoulders being the main forms of this in wow since they are by far the most noticeable on your character. This is why back in the first days of rating for pvp gear it was the shoulders that required a rating rather than anything else.

Same goes for weapons. Sure there's transmogrify now but when you walk by a toon typically the first thing you see are the giant over sized weapons they carry and frequently if you have that bad ass weapon of bad assery there's a good chance that you'll show it off even if it's not the best looking.

Then there's the obvious: flare. Look at games like FF7. Cloud's Buster Sword would be borderline impossible for most people to lift yet alone swing around in active combat yet people think stuff like that is cool as shit. Daggers range from a sharpened toothbrush prison shank to a Crocodile Dundee giant Bowie knife yet really none of these would look "cool" in a video game.

And as other people have said you can't see the artwork on a tiny dagger. Makes it boring and plain.