Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Do you ignore panhandlers? Or do you give them some change?

There is this one guy at my local grocery store that I always throw him a bit of cash. I think maybe it's his guitar playing and cute dog he has. I hate seeing people go hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

Just remembered something just now. I remember throwing change to some kids way back in the day. They are called Bare Naked Ladies now.

Usually If I can spare it. I tend to be inclined to buy dogfood too.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I always ignore them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Has Plans View Post
    Just remembered something just now. I remember throwing change to some kids way back in the day. They are called Bare Naked Ladies now.
    You threw money at Bare Naked Kids?

10+ Year Old Account
    I almost always ignore them. There are always panhandlers standing at my freeway onramp with their hand out. There's also a Salvation Army Homeless Shelter literally a couple blocks away. It has showers, beds, clothes, and assistance in reintegrating into society. If the panhandlers don't want to make use of those services, it's on them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't give them money directly. I donate to reputable organizations that help provide for their needs. Also, the fake homeless people ruin it for everyone.

Also, when I was younger, I threw a penny into the garbage. Felt kind of bad about it.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Don't really get panhandlers around here, but I'd be fine handing out some change. I've done it for performers at Renn. Faires and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    We barely ever get panhandlers here ( I think because of city by-laws), but even then I do almost all transactions digitally now.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I almost always ignore them. There are always panhandlers standing at my freeway onramp with their hand out. There's also a Salvation Army Homeless Shelter literally a couple blocks away. It has showers, beds, clothes, and assistance in reintegrating into society. If the panhandlers don't want to make use of those services, it's on them.

I hear what you are saying. That sort of stuff gets under my skin. I'm talking about this kid and his dog where I live, which is kind of far away from any sort of help of that nature.

I don't really give out change at all because all I carry is my card.

I still feel bad about it.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

I live in a liberal city where people are always given adequate shelter and basic needs, its not run by a bunch of ignorant republicans who think hindering economic growth is successful, i pay my fair share and so does everyone else, and the standard of living is higher than other parts. Republicans have waged a war on prosperity with there so called "budget balancing" even large corporations have gone liberal realizing the long term gain for their own business. Republicans are just run by a bunch of ignorant hypocritical religious nutheads, which i am glad my area has atleast realized their idiocy, unfortunately they still have a strong presence in washington, and other cities-poor souls of those people.

Infracted - please post constructively
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-04-23 at 09:24 PM.

Where I grew up gypsies sent their 6 year old children out to beg barefoot while their mothers were busy loudly begging on another street with a baby well on display in their arms. That always rubbed me the wrong way and I just can't bring myself to actually give beggars of any kind money.

When I travel in Europe I see them at the airports and train stations in droves. Stopping to give them anything is unwise as there exists a strong possibility they will have an accomplice nearby that will mug you while you're distracted.

Years back I was briefed by a state department rep that a common tactic going around at the time in that region was for a panhandler to push their child, or even throw it, at you. When you reacted to catch it they would strip you of your possessions often using a knife to cut the strap of any bag you had on your shoulder.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

No, they're never any good.

I find their attempts to play instruments offensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst are the folks with squeegees who wash your windshield when you're stopped at a traffic light then hold out their hand for payment. No, I don't want you to wash my windshield, because you're going to do a shitty job and leave streaks everywhere, making it dirtier than before. Besides, I didn't ask you for any kind of service and I won't be paying for it. If I'm that desperate to clean my windshield, I'll stop at a gas station myself.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately they don't accept credit.

I'll buy someone a burger, but I won't give them cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

I only give money to the honest people who need booze.

I ignore them. You think you're helping them but in reality you're just feeding their habits.

Quote Originally Posted by badaku View Post
    I only give money to the honest people who need booze.
    sadly I do the same thing. I don't give to crackheads and junkies.