Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The few people I've seen who really looked destitute (one girl who is always near the off ramp by my work has an iPhone...) I have given either food or a gift card to get food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends. I usually feel threatened if they come to me on a, let's say, a parking lot. But sometimes, when i have change, i do give it out. Rarely have change on me though :X So I usually walk by...

I offer food/drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    And it's organizations like the Salvation Army down the street from my apartment who help people to learn the necessary skills and give them a place to stay in the meantime. They might have to endure some degree of proselytizing in the interim, but that should surely be better than begging all day and sleeping on the street.
    See the thing there is, that is fine unless you can't hide you are of a christian mentality. I don't want to turn it into an LGBT issue thread but you should peck around about how notoriously biased they are as an org. Help and Housing has to contain no bias ^_^
    Not every religious based org is like that tho. Funny, I have food banked volenteered my way around a ton of good ones. I just happen to know Salv-Am has issues. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The few people I've seen who really looked destitute (one girl who is always near the off ramp by my work has an iPhone...) I have given either food or a gift card to get food.
    That is so crazy you mention that.
    I was looking at Square today and was thinking, That it totally could revloutionize the homeless/Hooker/drug deal aspect on the lowest rung with just a CC swipe. No joke.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Some of you really do think there are professional homeless people dont you?
    There are some, although the homeless part is usually just an act.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

That is so crazy you mention that.
    I was looking at Square today and was thinking, That it totally could revloutionize the homeless/Hooker/drug deal aspect on the lowest rung with just a CC swipe. No joke.
    Maybe that's what she uses it for. She doesn't even conceal it, just has a sign up and sits there texting/surfing the web.

they had this debate on a radio show here one morning coming home from work... and a lady called and what she does if she see's someone asking for cash, she tells them "you know my car needs a wash, and there is a car wash, wash it and i'll pay you" (or something similar if no carwash around)... and if they say ok she just paid them (or paid more) if they said no she was like oh i guess you really don't need money then... its not a bad idea... i mean if they are able and willing to work i'd toss'em some cash to wash my car or something but not just free money.

Ignore. Food pantries can multiply the value of a dollar through bulk purchasing far better than any individual. Better to give 50 bucks to a pantry than 100 bucks to panhandlers in terms of positive impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Maybe that's what she uses it for. She doesn't even conceal it, just has a sign up and sits there texting/surfing the web.
    Maybe she is a NEET ( not in education, employment or training) .. if she is a kid that is.
    We should talk about NEETs a lot more on here because, you know, it hits home a lot better.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I don't see some often. But when I mostly give them something but rareley money (mostly because I think of some mafiaguys using those poor people).

About a month ago I had a picnic with my girl but I made too much. So on our way home there was this guy with a dog and I thought he would love to have some good food, so I asked him if he's hungry (god am I stupid now that I think of it) so I sat down with my girl and gave him 4 Sandwiches with cheese, salad, tomatoes etc. and some fruits on a stick (grapes, cheese), and 2 bottles of fresh water.

I then talked with him for a while, gave him 5€ and left.

never seen him since thou.

10+ Year Old Account
    See the thing there is, that is fine unless you can't hide you are of a christian mentality. I don't want to turn it into an LGBT issue thread but you should peck around about how notoriously biased they are as an org. Help and Housing has to contain no bias ^_^
    Not every religious based org is like that tho. Funny, I have food banked volenteered my way around a ton of good ones. I just happen to know Salv-Am has issues. lol
    Sure they have issues. Not disputing that (I hate getting preached at). Still, even with their issues, it's better than standing on a street corner and begging. Go to the shelter, do what they say until you can sustain yourself, then move on with your life the way you want to.

The bigger issue, to me, is that many people who live on the streets are actually schizophrenic or have some other mental/psychological disability. Salvation Army and similar groups probably won't be able to help them up and out. For those people, I really think we need better government institutions to help them, especially since many of those people could return to a relatively normal life with access to the right medications.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-04-23 at 09:20 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Sure they have issues. Not disputing that (I hate getting preached at). Still, even with their issues, it's better than standing on a street corner and begging. Go to the shelter, do what they say until you can sustain yourself, then move on with your life the way you want to.
    I agree.
    Seen homeless people fight to be housed and rather living in parks myself. *shrug* so many issues going on with all that.

Deleted
    I do voluntary work at the Salvation Army, and I have learned from being there, that not all "Pan handlers" are actually in need.
    needless to say, I will stick to my "buy them something to eat and drink" policy and never give them money. most of the time it ends up on beer, cigs, or drugs.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Look crazy enough, and they ignore you... Saves me the time, usually. Some don't care, but the casual panhandlers (we have ones that are blatantly not homeless, they just panhandle for a living...) leave me alone.

Occasionally, but I often do not have any money. (or not enough to give) There is also lots of scammers, seen one guy in a wheelchair who was supposedly missing a leg, but saw him pop it out when traffic died down. Things suck, but I hate that soul wrenching stare they give while you are stopped at lights. You feel bad, but at the same time it's really awkward and honestly really rude.
    Stay salty my friends.

I don't carry physical currency, but I've given food to quite a few of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tend to give en money if they have a dog, i feel bad for the dog.
    But for those...erm (was tempted to use a bad word to describe em)...from eastern Europe, those ppl aint getting shit, they can get a plane ticket home if they want anything
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    I don't give money to beggars. But buskers sure I hand over some change. There is this guy who smashes out Jimi Hendrix songs. He's my favorite, just strolling down the high street and The Wind Cries Mary is blairing out, awesome. Summer is coming which means the streets are going to be alive with buskers. Some examples (just googled canterbury buskers)

This kid used to rock out (dead now) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWil17o906k
    See this chick about now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i9Qra-KR3Q
    And this kids or8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi5naBDRFYo

Some people have no buisness singing in public but theres usually about 7 buskers up and down the high street everyday (esp when its sunny). Puts a spring in your step so I have no quarrel sparing some change.
    Last edited by mmoc6b1f2f8dff; 2014-04-23 at 10:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Tolls. Fuck them.
    Your city doesn't have an EZ Pass sort of system?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    More often those I see nearest to home are those that stand around with a sign on a corner of a busy road or actually on the median of the highway near a traffic light.

I have sympathy for them, though at the same time I haven't a clue what their story is or how legit it is if written on their sign. I rarely use cash anymore so I don't normally have money on me, on top of the fact that most of the time when I'm doing the driving I'm out alone and not too keen on putting my window down for a stranger.

But I guess those in my area that are working the corners and highway like that, I suppose I gotta give them credit for working for it though and not just sitting in front of a store.