Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Because the game gets updates and runs on the companies servers. The only updates we have to pay more for are expansion packs.
    So we get access to servers, which are negligible in cost as activison doesn't even list it as a major expense (this is with them running Diablo 3, Diablo 2, Starcraft, WC3, WoW, most Call of Duty games, and Skylanders) and some of the content (not expansions, and not numerous pet and mounts and even some armor), sounds like we're getting hosed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    However, your hypocrisy in dismissing my statement on the basis that I do not work for Blizzard and then inserting your own assertions of a similar nature, despite you yourself not working for Blizzard, is pretty regrettable.

Please follow your own words carefully before making a rebuttal to this post.
    Sigh. Re-read my post. Note the word 'likely'. Note the lack of any such qualifier on your post. Think about the difference. Here, I'll tell you... my post is specifically called out as a probability. Yours is a statement of absolute fact.

Good lord, do they even teach critical reading skills anymore? Words. Matter.

and for the fifth time...(this isn't to you, but to the people whining about the pricing) if someone doesn't feel WoW is worth it, don't play it. How hard is this? The price is clear upfront, you get a free trial to see if you like the game a bit, make an informed choice. Quit acting like a bunch of children and take some responsibility for your decisions.
    Last edited by clevin; 2014-04-25 at 04:18 AM.

Better question is why do we wait a year for new content when we pay this much. The answer is blizzard no longer cares about games. They care about money.

It is far far from expensive, it is one of the cheapest games out there so dont know where you get the idea that it is expensive from

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    So we get access to servers, which are negligible in cost as activison doesn't even list it as a major expense (this is with them running Diablo 3, Diablo 2, Starcraft, WC3, WoW, most Call of Duty games, and Skylanders) and some of the content (not expansions, and not numerous pet and mounts and even some armor), sounds like we're getting hosed.
    Servers and server maintenance are pretty much the bare minimum to keep the game running, and everything else is probably lumped in with updates. What I am saying is that they have to upkeep the game, unlike 60$ console games that you only pay once for that you never get anything new for except perhaps downloadable content that also costs money.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Its because Blizzard obviously wants to screw you out of your hard earned money. You should consider switching to " cheaper " forms of entertainment if you don't think Wow is worth the current price.

If you want to buy it at release, yeah it's pretty pricy. Otherwise it's debatable if it's really that expensive when you can find the game not even a year later on sale for maybe $50 for the current expansion, all the previous expansions (And base game), 30 days included, and sometimes a discount on game time cards if it is retail. That runs you what, $60ish for an MMORPG on the constant sales they have every few months?

10+ Year Old Account
    if youve never played the game, how would you know content justifies the cost?
    Possibly by playing the free trial? If you like it, you pick up the basic boxed set and get a month of play. You could even look at some of the streaming that people do and decide if it looks interesting.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

As they mentioned in the post which announced the increase in Stirling prices...They feel their prices best reflect the entertainment value of the service / product one is paying for (paraphrased).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth the 15 a month to troll trade chat alone.. everything else is icing on the cake xD

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Better question is why do we wait a year for new content when we pay this much. The answer is blizzard no longer cares about games. They care about money.
    Then unsub, simple as that. If you blurt out hipster comments saying "zomg blizz doesn't care about games anymore GG you fail" then you can't provide constructive feedback anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only speak for myself , But when I get immersed in an MMO I tend not to play too much else.

Therefore the cost over time factor makes it worthwhile. Especially when I'm not purchasing new games.
    Also , In my area (UK) I have seen the battle-chest go down to a little as 5 pounds.

A lot of people seem REALLY angry in this thread for some reason and I'm not sure why. I'm not hating on Blizzard, not at all. If my posts came off as a slight to Blizzard, that wasn't intentional. I was merely trying to discuss the price difference between their product and those currently on the market.

And, as some people keep trying to point out and tell me by telling me I'm a (loser, should die, a liar, whatever), the prices I reflected in my OP should have been more explained to talk about what it will cost people to play on Day 1 of WoD. Because you're all right, if they start today, they have at least 6 more months of the same content before WoD drops at all, so that can't be factored in on their immediate cost if they were to purchase the game today. But, if they wanna stay current, they're gonna have to buy it in 6mo anyway.

But, the catch with all that is, as Blizzard has explained fully in their new "level 90" boost system, all previous content basically means nothing. So, there you go...

In any case, discussing the expenses of WoW, especially in the manner that's been presented in this thread (which has been mostly civil by myself and others not on the pro-Blizzard side), shouldn't invoke nothing but hateful, passive-aggressive, and outright insulting responses, and I'm not sure why it has. It's actually kinda sad because it paints a REALLY poor view of the MMO-C community and the community that still plays the game with earnest.

I mean, just because the expenses of WoW in this discussion don't align with your view of value or whatever, you go into a passive-aggressive rage and throw insults? Are you all 12 years old? Sorry, but this behavior deserves to be called out. The EU Player Thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-paid-services) is another good example. Kudos to those who can remain a human being while discussing such an issue on either side.

Math being what it is, with WoD being the most current iteration of WoW (and Blizzard making it clear that content before whatever is current content is obsolete), starting it all on day 1 of WoD and playing for 6 months makes WoW more expensive than any MMO I've found. Even stretching the math to 1 year, WoW still comes out behind.
    Last edited by Computed Lamb; 2014-04-26 at 08:30 AM.

Deleted
    Haha, same logic my girlfriend uses. I always tell her:

When u and a friend go for lunch, u spend aproximately 15 bucks. For what, 2.5h of funtime.
    I spend 15 bucks a month, and i get atleast 40 hours of fun time out of it. Ur fun per hour costs 7,50. Mine costs 0,35.

It all comes down to how much are u spending vs how much u get in return. I do agree that a game like FIFA will make u spend shitton of hours aswell, for just 60 bucks. But in the end, i will only play Fifa for a year while a WoW expansion often lasts 2 years. Besides that, FIFA will deteriate after a year, caus everyone will be buying the next 1. So the game will be in the drawer. WoW, i can boot up and deinstall whenever i want.

I do wish they had better bundled game time deals like 60 dollars for a whole year. I think they would get more people to come back if they did something like that.

The game time itself has never been discounted in the history of the game.

its 60 dollars for 12 months of xbox live and psn but 180 dollars a year for wow- one game.

I got tired of paying for wow its not worth it anymore theres not enough to do outside of raids. If I could level up characters and pvp without paying the subscription Id play off and on all the time or I could afford the Game token but ive never been very good at making gold and I already spent what gold I had on a couple tokens.

Making gold in wow is probably the most boring activity in the game. I use to get so desperate for gold but I was so into the game I would buy gold. That made the game very expensive the cost of gold for real money + the subscription.

My peak interest in wow was at the Start of TBC through to the start of Wotlk then I started getting really bored. I didn't take any breaks during wotlk maybe 2 weeks at most otherwise never let my sub lapse I was still a teenager then, I never even accomplished anything didnt clear one single raid or even get 1550 in arena.

15 a month for a game I play way more then any 60$ AAA title ever.

WoW is incredibly cheap when you compare cost/time invested.

A new AAA title will last you up to 10 hours. that's $6/hour

WoW is 15 a month. if I play for only 10 hours a month that's $1.5/hour
    - RIP Notorius Thugz - Miss you guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmills View Post
    A new AAA title will last you up to 10 hours. that's $6/hour...
    AAHAHAHAHAH.... oh. You're serious.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    AAHAHAHAHAH.... oh. You're serious.
    Im speaking single player games, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, games like that. the campaigns are not much longer then 10 hours.
    - RIP Notorius Thugz - Miss you guys

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It's one of the cheapest in the industry for the amount of hours you'll get out of it.

That money would get you about 20 hours of standard 60 dollar AAA games these days.
    Not in today's market where F2P is common place.
    WoD MIA for No Flight
    ------------------------------
    MayMay

Blizzard will squeeze as much money from people as they can. Until people stop paying them, they will keep creating new ways to raise prices to make more money.

They are not your friend, they aren't "good guys", they are a for profit company that see's you as a collection of dollars and nothing else.

Expect the amount you pay for content to keep increasing until people stop paying, but it's unlikely they will.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.