Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    The critiques are also really subjective.
    Indeed it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    If anyone is interested in some negative opinions on this game (like the different design choices compared to previous titles, or what you're getting into) this is a pretty good video:

The critique lowered the hype I had for this game, but I'm sure it's going to be entertaining enough. Some of the improvements sound really good.
    i dont want to spoil my self
    Spec: i5 4670k - MSI Z87M-G43 - HyperX 8GB -Corsair H100 - GTX 980 ti

Why do people have issues with the keyboard/mouse configuration for Dark Souls.

I had to move some key-bindings to make it more efficient for my fingers. But I was able to reach about... LvL 180, NG+ without much difficulty.

The only issue was that targeting in a 2+ groups would cause the reticent to switch between enemies every time I moved my mouse. (Mouse didn't move very smoothly but wasn't a huge issue)

I really don't see why no one can use the Mouse/Keyboard just as good as the controller. I spent a hour or two to get use to M/K.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    Why do people have issues with the keyboard/mouse configuration for Dark Souls.

I had to move some key-bindings to make it more efficient for my fingers. But I was able to reach about... LvL 180, NG+ without much difficulty.

The only issue was that targeting in a 2+ groups would cause the reticent to switch between enemies every time I moved my mouse. (Mouse didn't move very smoothly but wasn't a huge issue)

I really don't see why no one can use the Mouse/Keyboard just as good as the controller. I spent a hour or two to get use to M/K.
    I started with M/K and did fine but swapped to PS3 controller just because it felt more natural, I'll probably try both in #2 to see which I prefer.

Deleted
    I've played all three Souls games, and I have to say that critique nailed a lot of the flaws in Dark Souls 2. When I completed it I had no desire to play it again, unlike the previous games which I played for hundreds of hours. DS2 isn't a bad game, they just made a lot of unnecessary changes that spoiled my enjoyment of it.

Dark Souls 2 is a great game. It's looks great on 8 year old systems and even better on PC, it's got very tight and rewarding combat and has a tonne of content.

Had Dark Souls 2 been released in place of Dark Souls 1 it would be as acclaimed if not more so than Dark Souls 1. Nearly all of the negative feedback you will hear about Dark Souls 2 is only when compared to Dark Souls 1, not because of anything inherently wrong with Dark Souls 2. The negative feedback is mostly subjective preferences that people had about certain design elements in the previous games.

Personally I had a few complaints, such as not all of the bosses felt as epic as DS1 bosses, Soul Memory rebalancing co-op and invasions and the hitboxes seem much larger than DS1, but again, these are subjective comparisons to the first game and not something that's objectively bad, just different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejam View Post
    I've played all three Souls games, and I have to say that critique nailed a lot of the flaws in Dark Souls 2. When I completed it I had no desire to play it again, unlike the previous games which I played for hundreds of hours. DS2 isn't a bad game, they just made a lot of unnecessary changes that spoiled my enjoyment of it.
    For me it's the only one I've actually wanted to play again. I think the critiques were way off base and far too personal.

Deleted
    I'll try to list the things that put me off the game in order of impact they had:

1) The overall atmosphere. Obviously this one is completely subjective. The music wasn't as good as previous games, barring a few exceptions the level design wasn't as good, the lore and story weren't as good, and apart from Gavlan and maybe Lucatiel none of the NPCs were particularly memorable.

2) Dodgy hitboxes. This was a really annoying issue for me, and for a game that's all about precise combat it was unforgivable. Often my weapon swing would simply go right through the enemy without registering, and other times I was damaged from enemy hits that clearly didn't hit me.

3) Cheap/boring bosses. Some of them basically copy/pasted from Dark Souls, and many others were just ordinary humanoid characters with nothing special or memorable about the fights. The last boss was a joke, easier than most of the other bosses in the game.

4) Lack of low level weapon/gear/upgrade options. If you knew what you were doing in the previous Souls games you could find lots of new weapons out in the gameworld pretty early on, and you could farm as much as you wanted for upgrades. In DkS2 your upgrade choices are very limited in early to mid game thanks to finite vendor stocks, and farming for shards has been killed thanks to limited respawns.

5) Weapon durability. It is not cool that my weapon can easily break before I even make it to the boss fog. You can carry two weapons to make up for this, but limited shard availability in early/mid game means that you can't upgrade both of them very much, so you have one half-decent weapon and one basic un-upgraded backup weapon.

6) Soul memory. In my opinion this needs to be flat-out removed from the game. All it does it add an unnecessary limitation to co-op and invasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    If anyone is interested in some negative opinions on this game (like the different design choices compared to previous titles, or what you're getting into) this is a pretty good video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

The critique lowered the hype I had for this game, but I'm sure it's going to be entertaining enough. Some of the improvements sound really good.
    A thing to note though if you haven't played the game, is that he almost only mentions the negative things about dark souls 2, while ignoring a lot of the flaws that the original game had. I do personally feel that the original is slightly better, but the sequel is still a fantastic game that i've already sunk over 300 hours into on console, and no doubt will put a lot more into on PC. The biggest difference is probably the amount of content, dark souls 2 has signifcantly more, especially if you compare it to the original dark souls that came out on consoles, rather than the pc version that came with the DLC included.

Also for everyone getting it on PC, check out http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/da...weaking-guide/ to make the game look even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^Thanks for that link! Work cannot end any faster. Ugh.

For the most part I agree with the metacritic score difference between the first and second games. Not that I agree with metacritic in general, but it has Dark Souls 2 a point a head Dark Souls. I would agree with that. I love both games but would say that Dark Souls II is a super small, almost unnoticeable amount better.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2014-04-24 at 07:23 PM.

I'll try to list the things that put me off the game in order of impact they had:

1) The overall atmosphere. Obviously this one is completely subjective. The music wasn't as good as previous games, barring a few exceptions the level design wasn't as good, the lore and story weren't as good, and apart from Gavlan and maybe Lucatiel none of the NPCs were particularly memorable.

2) Dodgy hitboxes. This was a really annoying issue for me, and for a game that's all about precise combat it was unforgivable. Often my weapon swing would simply go right through the enemy without registering, and other times I was damaged from enemy hits that clearly didn't hit me.

3) Cheap/boring bosses. Some of them basically copy/pasted from Dark Souls, and many others were just ordinary humanoid characters with nothing special or memorable about the fights. The last boss was a joke, easier than most of the other bosses in the game.

4) Lack of low level weapon/gear/upgrade options. If you knew what you were doing in the previous Souls games you could find lots of new weapons out in the gameworld pretty early on, and you could farm as much as you wanted for upgrades. In DkS2 your upgrade choices are very limited in early to mid game thanks to finite vendor stocks, and farming for shards has been killed thanks to limited respawns.

5) Weapon durability. It is not cool that my weapon can easily break before I even make it to the boss fog. You can carry two weapons to make up for this, but limited shard availability in early/mid game means that you can't upgrade both of them very much, so you have one half-decent weapon and one basic un-upgraded backup weapon.

6) Soul memory. In my opinion this needs to be flat-out removed from the game. All it does it add an unnecessary limitation to co-op and invasions.
    Points 1-3 can also be said about Dark Souls 1 when you played Demon's Souls before it. Number 4 depends on preference. Early on you have access to great weapons and find some in the first zones like the club you can buy, drangleic shield, drangleic sword, halberd, greatsword and others. Having limited stock and limited farming opportunities makes your choices weight more. In Dark Souls 1 or even Demon's Souls you could farm infinitely to the point that you outleveled everything and made everything easier. Weapon durability is a similar thing. You either have some repair powder to repair your weapon or you have more than one weapon in your stock but won't have a +10 weapon.

1. Yes it's subjective.
    2. Agreed with this one, it is an issue.
    3. I think this had to do with the sheer number of bosses they added to the game. There's lots of bosses in DaS1 that are similar to DeS as well.
    4, 5 & 6 are deliberate design choices to attempt to remove twinking and low level griefing from the game. I think it's great for pvp, 6 is annoying for co-op though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

aaand the game is released on PC!!! Have fun dying

Deleted
    I can't connect to the online service, anyone else having this problem?

PC Gamer review - very positive, scored a 91

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/dark-souls-2-review/

For those wondering if the port is worth it:

From Software promised us that the PC port would be the definitive version of the game, and it did not disappoint. Resolutions up to 1440p are supported natively, as well as specific settings for texture quality, anti-aliasing, SSAO, anisotropic filtering, higher-detail character models, and more. Even with those settings maxed, I couldn’t make the game run lower than 60 fps on a modest Nvidia GTX 750 Ti. That’s a massive improvement over its predecessor.

hose who refuse to set hands on a controller will also be satisfied by a new, comprehensive keybinding system. While Dark Souls 2 is still clearly designed for a controller, it now takes only a little bit of setup to build a comfortable control scheme.

The result is a port that looks markedly better than its console cousins, even at standard 1080p on modest hardware. Textures are sharper, while character details are easier to make out. Screenshots and YouTube videos may not convey just how much better Dark Souls 2 looks with everything cranked up.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

I did not play DS1, I typically am not a fan of the genre either. But, I gave DS2 a chance and was thoroughly pleased.

It was enjoyable, challenging but not unbeatable, and had a decent replay value on the second play (not so much 3 on)

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone having some trouble downloading the game from Steam?

PC port haha, too funny...it still has fucking XBox controller icons for everything.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I kind of feel like maybe a little too hyped. >.>

The combat is kind of fun. Yeah I died a lot, it's Dark Souls, but spending that much time back tracking when you die from falling in a pit you couldn't see is frankly really boring. Maybe I'll get in to it more when I play later. The world feels kind of flimsy too. Not very deep.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Oh boy look at this nostalgia train running wild.

I read your post and had a sudden urge of deja vu of what more nostalgia drinkers where saying about Dark Souls 1 in comparison to Demon Souls.

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine to like one game over the other but when we bring up points that make no sense such as bosses being resused(none are, the gargoyles are a vastly different fight and the rat is nothing like sif these are the only 2 comparable) you get nothing but laughter out of me. And again with the upgrade point, you can upgrade gear just as easily in DS2 as DS1 not sure what you're smoking. You didn't have access to infinite titanite chunks until about half way through dark souls 1 and the same is true in 2. Weapon durability are you serious? I played through the entire game and only had my weapon break twice, and once was because I didn't know what the acid did.

You are making up points just to make up points. Clear example of the nostalgia train running wild.

Your only valid point is Soul Memory, and that is only a factor for NG+ meta pvp and nothing else. SM needs removed on NG+ most people agree, it is fine for NG.