What is the point in Rating and MMR?

I was just thinking what is the point in having 2 seperate figures which work against each other until they even out?
    Why not remove MMR and have players start from 0 every season? seems fairly logical to me. I don't see the need in having 2 seperate ratings.

What's the point in starting on 0 rating but 1500 MMR?
    Start on 0 across the board would make more sense wouldn't it?

Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    Because it's just wasted time... why should the 2500~ rated players face 1200~ rated players? They want to be the best and competing against the best is just more practice. How do you expect the 1200 players get better if they face teams that severely outplay them?
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Rating(CR) is personal rating, for titles/achievements/transmog

MMR is team rating

If team A at 1100 beats team B at 1700, they've "proven" they deserve the rating and to face higher ranked players.

Team A gains a massive boost in the points they receive, and their team MMO rises. This is the point in MMR. To try and match players together will similar skill.
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Greed [Priest] -
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Paladin] -
    Gluttony [Mage]

The combat rating is just a tool to masque the player his individual mmr, since only the team mmr is visible. A system where only the mmr would exist would make more sense (just like in many sports).

MMR simply allows for better matchmaking than personal rating because it doesn't need to be reset. At the start of a season when everyone's at zero rating, MMR mostly keeps players queueing into teams at a similar skill level. It would all work out eventually either way, but it's just more fun for everyone to be put into games they actually have a chance of winning/losing.

From what I remember, MMR was mostly the answer to remaking arena teams through TBC. Back then any time you made a new arena team you'd be queueing into 1500-range players, even if you just came from a 2200 team. Understandably those lower-rated players didn't like having that happen all the time and MMR basically came about to fix it. It's less important now that teams don't even exist, but still serves the same purpose at the start of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdjames View Post
    From what I remember, MMR was mostly the answer to remaking arena teams through TBC. Back then any time you made a new arena team you'd be queueing into 1500-range players, even if you just came from a 2200 team. Understandably those lower-rated players didn't like having that happen all the time and MMR basically came about to fix it. It's less important now that teams don't even exist, but still serves the same purpose at the start of a season.
    Combat rating is the front end, match making rating is the backend what actually decides who you play against. Since teams are gone, and mmr resets at the start of the season, there is little reason to still have combat rating in place, unless to obfuscate players their mmr for who knows what reason.

It was like that before.
    Too much whining, because gladiators just destroyed lower rated people. They had to move up every season.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    Combat rating is the front end, match making rating is the backend what actually decides who you play against. Since teams are gone, and mmr resets at the start of the season, there is little reason to still have combat rating in place, unless to obfuscate players their mmr for who knows what reason.
    That's entirely false. Team rating still serves the purpose of determining ladders and titles. Mmr jumps way too much to be used as the only rating measurement tool. Last night I was playing games at 2200 mmr but at 2120 rating.I started the night at 2050 mmr and 2030 rating. Since we kept beating high mmr teams our mmr was rising faster than our rating. Mmr and rating both serve a purpose.

And your claim that rating is used to match you against players is entirely false. Mmr is the only tool used to measure who you play. Rating is used to measure where you stand on the ladders.

back in bc, when you disbanded your team you started back at the bottom, and the forums where filled with people crying they keep fighting "shoulder" teams (shoulders req 2k rating) so the solution was mmr.
    Stormspellz -mugthol
    Battletag - Stormz#1438

Quote Originally Posted by Kildragon View Post
    And your claim that rating is used to match you against players is entirely false. Mmr is the only tool used to measure who you play. Rating is used to measure where you stand on the ladders.
    I never said nor implied that. I literally said that MMR (match making rating) decides who you will play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Kildragon View Post
    That's entirely false. Team rating still serves the purpose of determining ladders and titles. Mmr jumps way too much to be used as the only rating measurement tool. Last night I was playing games at 2200 mmr but at 2120 rating.I started the night at 2050 mmr and 2030 rating. Since we kept beating high mmr teams our mmr was rising faster than our rating. Mmr and rating both serve a purpose.
    ELO is used in my sports/games. CR is an artificial layer that served it's purpose back when the arena rating design was centred around teams. If you feel that mmr is jumping too much, then in a world without CR, it would jump for everybody, and why would that be bad? And a ladder can be made based on mmr, so can titles.

CR doesn't bother me, but removing it would add transparency. There is still zero point to have CR. An mmr (ELO) only system has proven it's worth in plenty of games/sports.