Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Online Hostility Taken Too far?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/...995aa90a000055

"In another case of taking a loss way, way too hard, an as-of-yet anonymous Call of Duty player called police reporting a murder in the house of his online opponent.

The target of the attack, a 17-year-old, last name Castillo, was unaware his family's Long Beach, New York residence was being surrounded by more than 60 law officers, SWAT members and emergency personnel, the New York Post reports."

So, wait; people actually get so upset over losing in a video game that they prank police into making a hundred thousand dollar operation full of SWAT team and State forces to raid his opponent's house?

Wow. Didn't know CoD gamers had such attitudes and anger issues.

Does this happen in other games?
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2014-04-24 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    So, wait; people actually get so upset over losing in a video game that they prank police into making a hundred thousand dollar operation full of SWAT team and State forces to raid his opponent's house?
    I am pretty sure this is just part of the CoD meta.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I don't pay much attention to it but I have heard of multiple times where popular streamers have had the cops called on them to disrupt their competitive gaming.

When the average age of the call of duty players nowdays circles around the 7-10 year old area, it's not that big of a surprise that someting like this happens

Also this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    When the average age of the call of duty players nowdays circles around the 7-10 year old area, it's not that big of a surprise that someting like this happens

Also this:

Looks like their parents never taught them manners.

yes. its happened to wow, poe, heartstone, starcraft and dota streamers. live. on stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    yes. its happened to wow, poe, heartstone, starcraft and dota streamers. live. on stream.
    But Blizzard and Valve protect everyone's IP address, so tracing other players isn't possible as the CoD player did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    My God! Too many parents nowadays can't teach their children proper manners or control their behavior. Too many naughty children can't restrain their potty mouths, bad attitudes, and foolish behavior.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Didn't know CoD gamers had such attitudes and anger issues.
    You must not play much CoD then.
    It isn't so much actual anger issues as them being children (physically or mentally) that are throwing tantrums, and this new pussified society not teaching them how to deal with their problems in an adult way, but instead treating them all like special snowflakes.
    We are going to be seeing a lot more of this kind of shit and much worse over the coming years, because it will take time for it to be picked up as a trend by the media. Hopefully kids somewhere are still being taught how to deal with their problems, and not just having adults handling all of their problems for them.

Sorry, I work with kids every day and it honestly sickens me to see how coddled they have become over the past few years.

TL;DR This whole Zero Tollerance Anti-Bullying movement is going to cause kids to not know how to deal with actual conflicts when they become adults, this is just the beginning.

Raging? Happens everywhere. Ever been shopping during Black Friday? Road rage? Etc.

If ur talking specifically about making fake crime calls, well that person has severe issues he needs to work out. Hopefully he's caught and charged.

"In another case of taking a loss way, way too hard, an as-of-yet anonymous Call of Duty player called police reporting a murder in the house of his online opponent.

The target of the attack, a 17-year-old, last name Castillo, was unaware his family's Long Beach, New York residence was being surrounded by more than 60 law officers, SWAT members and emergency personnel, the New York Post reports."

Is it just me, or does it seem like the New York Police just over-reacted? I mean, if this story is true, then someone called in a murder to dispatch and more than SIXTY officers responded, along with SWAT and other first responders? Talk about jumping the gun. Is it really this easy to troll someone IRL? If this happened where I am from, a couple officers would have responded right away to confirm a situation even exists.

Looks like their parents never taught them manners.
    Looks like how people act at actual sports shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    SHould probably do a search next time http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Team-On-Rival!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frunds View Post
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the New York Police just over-reacted? I mean, if this story is true, then someone called in a murder to dispatch and more than SIXTY officers responded, along with SWAT and other first responders? Talk about jumping the gun. Is it really this easy to troll someone IRL? If this happened where I am from, a couple officers would have responded right away to confirm a situation even exists.
    i think they called in two shot/dead, so two ambulances... two cop cars... and a swat team 'on the way', would have been a good response, imo... and only be in the range of 8-16 people until a situation is confirmed.

*but* i think this is more of a case of 'it was a slow day', so they just throw every last person at it... and then say that this stunt cost them all a day's work... when they weren't doing anything to begin with. at least, this is what i hope whenever i hear of this overreactions... cuz i'd hate to think how many actual crimes occurred and got no police response cuz the news cameras werent rolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when you release children to roam free on the internet.

Some of you may recall being in school. Kids can be brutal to one another. Now that the 100 kids that were mean, and make it 10 million. All sitting there feeding off of one another.

No surprise that they act this way. You add the fact that they are faceless entities in a virtual realm, and it is even worse.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted

CoD loser calls SWAT team to opponent's house

Long Island police dispatched helicopters, emergency vehicles and an army of cops to a home where someone called in a bloody rampage on Tuesday.

They arrived with guns drawn and ready for war — only to find out the call to cops was an act of revenge by a gamer whom the teen who lives inside had just beaten in an online Call of Duty battle.

The prank caller told police over Skype that he was Rafael Castillo, 17, of Long Beach — and that “I just killed my mother and I might shoot more people,” cops said.

But Castillo was only using virtual firearms in the online video game.

“Some guy threatened to Swat him,” Castillo’s brother told The Post. “He was pissed that he had lost.”

The disgruntled gamer had just been eliminated by Castillo and gave police the teen’s home address in a dangerous game called “Swatting,” and the authorities went into full emergency mode.
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/22/call-of...-who-beat-him/

15+ Year Old Account
    You're a couple of days late with this, but yes, the person who did this is a terrible human being and put lives at risk to satisfy his wounded e-pride.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED