Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret in Challenge modes...should I just give up and go prot?

I'm going to be starting Challenge modes with a group of people from my guild soon. I main Ret spec and off Prot, but everything I'm reading is that Ret is terrible for CMs. Should I just start building a tank set instead? Anyone out there have success going 9/9 golds as a ret?

Deleted
    CMs are laughably easy with the amount of sockets gear has now. Any spec is viable, while some obviously remain better than others.

I got 9/9 as ret in a 2 melee group. Was not all that difficult. As Redtusk said, sockets make the DPS checks insanely easy, so all you have to worry about is not being bad and dying to avoidable crap, and using the full utility that a ret has to offer.

9/9 challenge as ret with no other melee or melee buffs and performed just fine, use all the tools you have, sacs. blessings, stuns and heals to make things go smoother and avoid taking as much damage as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtusk View Post
    CMs are laughably easy with the amount of sockets gear has now. Any spec is viable, while some obviously remain better than others.
    This pretty much. Ret's are fine for CMs. Doubt you'll get any realm best times but you'll make gold easily with time to spare. Melee isn't really that bad for Cms, just don't stand in stuff ect ect.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

When I did it on my Ret couple of months ago we used Blood DK, Holy Pala, Boomkin, Ret Pala and Mage. Me and the boomkin did horrible damage compared to the mage and the HPala obviously didn't contribute at all (he only went Ret for Stormstout last boss). The only times we really struggled was when we tried doing the cheesy tactics like DK using mind controls on mobs to buff damage.

Rets have awesome AOE for challenge modes... and challenge modes are almost entirely AOE, so... yeah. I've seen it said that rets are the best melee DPS for challenge modes.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Rets have awesome AOE for challenge modes... and challenge modes are almost entirely AOE, so... yeah. I've seen it said that rets are the best melee DPS for challenge modes.
    I would say Rogues and FDK are probably the best for other reasons when it comes to super-fast times, but Ret is more than capable of doing times significantly faster than Gold.

Adding to the chorus -- I also went 9/9 on my ret. Group comp was ret, frost dk, ele shammy, disc priest, blood dk. All 3 dps were usually in the same ball park damage wise. I'll second whoever mentioned hand of sac. That along with the off-heals from Selfless Healer and Light's Hammer were clutch sometimes. I also think we're decent at AOEing which is the majority of CM dpsing anyway. Generally CMs are just about knowing when to blow CDs and knowing how to stun/interrupt/cc.

It was totally overkill but I farmed up a CM-specific gear set (mainly to gem it all with straight strength gems). As you can see, it's mainly SoO gear, but it was nice having a second set (mixed normal, flex, lfr -- doesn't matter since it all scales down) so that I could just keep it gemmed strength.

Head - SoO tier (str gemmed and non-legendary meta gem since legendary capacitance one doesn't proc in CMs)
    Neck - Necklace of Terra-Cotta Vanquisher (ToT trash drop -- str gemmed)
    Shoulders - SoO tier (str gemmed)
    Back - Legendary (kept it gemmed however I normally keep it)
    Chest - SoO tier (actually just used my normal gear for this to keep it gemmed expertise so that I could hit expertise cap)
    Wrist - Vanguard's Burly Bracers (Ordos -- I'm sure Immerseus ones would be good too)
    Hands - SoO tier (str gemmed)
    Waist - Demolisher's Reinforced Belt (IJ drop - same as chest, I just used my normal SoO belt and kept it expertise gemmed in the one red slot to reach cap)
    Legs - Legplates of Unthinking Strife (Garry drop -- nice bc of the extra gem slot)
    Feet - Haunted Steel Treads (BS crafted -- str gemmed)
    Ring1 - Seal of Forgotten kings (str gemmed)
    Ring2 - Asgorinthian Blood Seal (str gemmed)
    Trink1 - Relic of Xuen
    Trink2 - Lei Shen's Final Orders
    Weapon - Hellscream's Decapitator (before this dropped I was using a ToT weapon to use the socket from Wrathion chain... the axe from Lei Shen, either way what you're going for is gem slots)

Like I said, this was definitely overkill. If you were going to get any CM gear at all though, definitely go for the trinkets. Relic is so, so strong. Lei Shen is, imo, the best second option. Either way, our 2 SoO trinks -- thok's tail and eye of gala are total crap in CMs bc of being scaled down.

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    I would say Rogues and FDK are probably the best for other reasons when it comes to super-fast times, but Ret is more than capable of doing times significantly faster than Gold.
    Hunter/Ele/Mage all the way for fastest times. Lock instead of Ele works but Ancestral Guidance is too op.

Ret works fine, I've ran everything pretty easily outside of my last group where the healer refused to DPS (was pretty mediocre anyways), tank's DPS was fairly low, have a boomkin that is doing 50k or so which would be fine, but we have no warp/lust/hero/hysteria. (Was running on my warrior, respected to arms) It's a damn shame because my hunter does 90k+ pre-aoe without potting and I basically cheese aoe, so easy to carry groups.
    Stay salty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Hunter/Ele/Mage all the way for fastest times. Lock instead of Ele works but Ancestral Guidance is too op.
    Talking out of melee, of course "best" comps won't have them. IIRC Lock can work instead of Mage, just not as good DPS.

Ret isn't exactly the most ideal class anyone thinks of to bring to Challenge Modes, but they're not the worst out of the melee classes you could bring and their utility is HUGE especially paired with the amount of AoE they can do, I personally tanked a few of my final CM's but primarily did them as Ret and was able to keep up on the meters fine. That being said, if you're looking for fast groups, just tank them, if you have the option of going ret for CM's, do it.

Deleted
    Ret is not that awful for CM's, they are moderately good. You just get some good trinkets (I used Thok's tail tip) and get the gear with the most sockets in them and you are good

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    I'm going to be starting Challenge modes with a group of people from my guild soon. I main Ret spec and off Prot, but everything I'm reading is that Ret is terrible for CMs. Should I just start building a tank set instead? Anyone out there have success going 9/9 golds as a ret?
    I did CMs when sword of Light was 10% and we had minimal socket gear. If you can't do it as ret now LOL?

Gold is easy as fuck. Rets not ideal if you are going for tryhard region highest ranks. which you aren't

That said, If you are actually smart in CMs you will be respecing talents while out of combat. AKA if you are saving Sanc wrath to burn a boss so not using wings on trash get Divine purpose. Duh

- - - Updated - - -

And by out of combat I mean while on the move. If you stand still that is fail

Deleted
    CMs are loleasy now with SoO gear and all the buffs classes got.

Quote Originally Posted by tryonian View Post
    Adding to the chorus -- I also went 9/9 on my ret. Group comp was ret, frost dk, ele shammy, disc priest, blood dk. All 3 dps were usually in the same ball park damage wise. I'll second whoever mentioned hand of sac. That along with the off-heals from Selfless Healer and Light's Hammer were clutch sometimes. I also think we're decent at AOEing which is the majority of CM dpsing anyway. Generally CMs are just about knowing when to blow CDs and knowing how to stun/interrupt/cc.

It was totally overkill but I farmed up a CM-specific gear set (mainly to gem it all with straight strength gems). As you can see, it's mainly SoO gear, but it was nice having a second set (mixed normal, flex, lfr -- doesn't matter since it all scales down) so that I could just keep it gemmed strength.

Head - SoO tier (str gemmed and non-legendary meta gem since legendary capacitance one doesn't proc in CMs)
    Neck - Necklace of Terra-Cotta Vanquisher (ToT trash drop -- str gemmed)
    Shoulders - SoO tier (str gemmed)
    Back - Legendary (kept it gemmed however I normally keep it)
    Chest - SoO tier (actually just used my normal gear for this to keep it gemmed expertise so that I could hit expertise cap)
    Wrist - Vanguard's Burly Bracers (Ordos -- I'm sure Immerseus ones would be good too)
    Hands - SoO tier (str gemmed)
    Waist - Demolisher's Reinforced Belt (IJ drop - same as chest, I just used my normal SoO belt and kept it expertise gemmed in the one red slot to reach cap)
    Legs - Legplates of Unthinking Strife (Garry drop -- nice bc of the extra gem slot)
    Feet - Haunted Steel Treads (BS crafted -- str gemmed)
    Ring1 - Seal of Forgotten kings (str gemmed)
    Ring2 - Asgorinthian Blood Seal (str gemmed)
    Trink1 - Relic of Xuen
    Trink2 - Lei Shen's Final Orders
    Weapon - Hellscream's Decapitator (before this dropped I was using a ToT weapon to use the socket from Wrathion chain... the axe from Lei Shen, either way what you're going for is gem slots)

Like I said, this was definitely overkill. If you were going to get any CM gear at all though, definitely go for the trinkets. Relic is so, so strong. Lei Shen is, imo, the best second option. Either way, our 2 SoO trinks -- thok's tail and eye of gala are total crap in CMs bc of being scaled down.
    =/ gemming mass strength. Gross

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    =/ gemming mass strength. Gross
    I missed you, Anaxie. <3

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rets fine for gold, you don't even need to get optimized gear. Just put on what you have grab a flask, food and invisibility potions.

If you want to min/max marginally just use divine purpose and swap to something else right before a boss kill. Holy avenger is pretty good at that gear level I find, at least for straight up burns, but sanctified wrath is fine as well.

You won't get region best times. All CMs are is like 3-4 big AoE pulls and 3-4 bosses. Tank and healer pretty much carries the group.

Deleted
    Ret helps the group a ton with AoE pulls with the sac glyph and Devotion Aura, and Holy Avenger makes for nice AoE. Could even glyph for mass stun, and throw salvs to healer so he can start saving the tank's life sooner.

It helps making up for having a worse tank/healer by providing additional stability to the pulls, with hand of Sacrifice mostly, though 250k damage prevented will be burned fast! Should help have a stable enough party not to die and manage gold. Ofc up to you to plan/do enough numbers.