Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why I've stopped playing D3 and why that's O.K.

So, the last time I played D3 was last Friday. I got on, did some rifts with some random people for 2 hours and then I logged off. This week I've been kind of busy with school work but with Dark Souls 2 releasing later today for PC, I doubt I will play D3 again for a month or two and guess what? That's O.K. Diablo 3 isn't an MMO. This means 2 things mainly: 1. It won't last you for months and months on end unless you are SUPER into it. 2. If you take a break you can come back and you don't really have to catch up to everyone else.

The game will be there when I want to come back to it. My characters will be waiting for me and when I start back up. I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much as I have been for the past couple months. Basically, the biggest complaint I've seen levied against Diablo 3 is that it doesn't keep you constantly engaged for months or years on end. I think this is an unfair and unrealistic expectation. Play the game, enjoy it, and when you get bored take a break. There's no harm in stopping.

I actually haven't seen anyone complain about d3 since RoS dropped /shrug. They fixed what needed fixing.

I also stopped after I got legendary items in all slots... then it was just a chore since 99.9% of the loot was crap and after 20 T2 rifts without any useful loot it just gets boring.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I also stopped after I got legendary items in all slots... then it was just a chore since 99.9% of the loot was crap and after 10 rifts without any useful loot it just gets boring.
    This has pushed me to quit as well. Maybe if legendary items ever get changed to feel legendary I'll consider coming back.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

play HC then if you got nothing to improve on, until you have completed t6 on all toons and can do rift super fast you havent even been near completing the game :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Flashforcash View Post
    play HC then if you got nothing to improve on, until you have completed t6 on all toons and can do rift super fast you havent even been near completing the game :-)
    Since T6 drops the same loot and I visited it and killed some packs (took a while) with a frost spec I don't see the point. Higher Torment should drop better loot, that would be a motivation to continue.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLocked View Post
    This has pushed me to quit as well. Maybe if legendary items ever get changed to feel legendary I'll consider coming back.
    Idk i feel pretty legendary with all those unique secondary effects from legendaries, especially when they're all stacked up. What exactly are you wanting?

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Idk i feel pretty legendary with all those unique secondary effects from legendaries, especially when they're all stacked up. What exactly are you wanting?
    The new legendaries with the cool affixes are great, but how many of those are there compared to the legendaries that are just yellows with the possibility of rolling higher stats? Which they rarely do.

Blizzard promised us all these insane build changing legendary items that would revolutionize the way the game is played. I really don't feel like they delivered on that.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never understood people who insist that it's impossible to play more than one game at a time. I'm playing D3, Civ5, WoW, Hearthstone, TL2, PoE and a half dozen other games that I find to be fun. Variety is a good thing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I've never understood people who insist that it's impossible to play more than one game at a time. I'm playing D3, Civ5, WoW, Hearthstone, TL2, PoE and a half dozen other games that I find to be fun. Variety is a good thing.
    Indeed. I've always been puzzled by "there can be only one" attitude among some gamers.

For me, Diablo-style games are basically solitaire with monsters. They're what I do when I have 30-60 minutes to kill and a computer available. RoS is pretty much perfect for that.

As for legendaries that change your build, you just need to look harder. I'm not really deep into my Crusader, but he has 3 legendaries (boots that leave a fire trail, shoulders that do fan of knives, pants that create a poison gas cloud) that led to a new, super-tanky build. I don't really need any AoE damage right now - the ambient damage from just getting hit will destroy crowds. So I'm focused on piling up the enemies and single-target damage to smash the bosses.

Meanwhile, my witchdoctor found the +pet damage hat to go with the +pet attack speed gloves. Needless to say, I immediately transitioned to a strongly pet-centric build (which kicks ass, btw).

Some games, like WoW, tend to emphasis endless progression and completion-ist, like me, sometimes want to follow through to the end or close to it. At the same time, not everyone has enough time in a day to juggle through a variety of games despite them being possibly good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty happy with D3 still. I built a good +poison damage set for my WD first, and then I decided I wanted to do a pet build, so I started to try and get pet build gear. That took a week to get some of the necessary pieces, and now I'm putting the final touches on that. Even if I finish that there will always be my Barb and Monk to still gear and play around with. I don't expect to be bored of the game anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    So, the last time I played D3 was last Friday. I got on, did some rifts with some random people for 2 hours and then I logged off. This week I've been kind of busy with school work but with Dark Souls 2 releasing later today for PC, I doubt I will play D3 again for a month or two and guess what? That's O.K. Diablo 3 isn't an MMO. This means 2 things mainly: 1. It won't last you for months and months on end unless you are SUPER into it. 2. If you take a break you can come back and you don't really have to catch up to everyone else.

The game will be there when I want to come back to it. My characters will be waiting for me and when I start back up. I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much as I have been for the past couple months. Basically, the biggest complaint I've seen levied against Diablo 3 is that it doesn't keep you constantly engaged for months or years on end. I think this is an unfair and unrealistic expectation. Play the game, enjoy it, and when you get bored take a break. There's no harm in stopping.

I stopped playing in July 2012. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Some games, like WoW, tend to emphasis endless progression and completion-ist, like me, sometimes want to follow through to the end or close to it. At the same time, not everyone has enough time in a day to juggle through a variety of games despite them being possibly good.
    You don't need to play every game you're playing every day. I have 19,500ish achievement points in WoW, which I would certainly consider completionist-like, and I didn't play every single day to get there.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2014-04-24 at 04:23 PM.

Deleted
    I don't have enough hours in a day to have the time to visit all the games I like. I have have just enough to enjoy maybe two at a time. Once in a while, I switch around what the two are but that is it. Not sure what else there is to get; some just prefer to focus.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    I stopped playing in July 2012. Just saying.
    You're cool. Nobody cares.

Deleted
    For me, that depends on the time I'm willing / able to spend on video games. In times I have an hour or less each day, I tend to play only 1-2 games. When I've got more time, it depends: If I'm in a game with a good campaign, I usually stay focussed on that until changing to another game. For games like WoW or D3, I play some more at the same time.

@ Topic: I've also quit, more or less. I spent a lot of time in the game and had fun. Sometimes I still log in to do some achievements with some friends, but that's it. [e] The reason for this is mostly: It gets too repetitive in the end. It's something I can do for some time, but at some point other games / activities become more attractive.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2014-04-24 at 04:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    You're cool. Nobody cares.

You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    You cared enough to post.
    Do we really always have to do this stupid little dance? Idiots like that guy should be shunned and this little rhetoric bit of banter should never exist afterward. You must've seen this thousands of times by now.