Why is being an asshole not illegal?

So I went home the other day and havent been out in probably 6-7 months. I went to the bar to meet some friends I havent seen in a while and catch some NBA/NHL playoff action. I got there early and since I knew the bartender just sat down, flipped it to the game I wanted to watch, and started talking to her. The other half of the bar was starting to get busy but her side was still empty. Eventually she says she needs to finish setting up so I settle in to watch the game and wait for my friends.

Now neither me or any of my close friends smoke and usually we all hang out in one area of the bar and its pretty understood that no one smokes there. Well some douchebag tourist walks in and posts up right next to me, pulls out a pack of cigs and asks the bartender for an ashtray. She ignores him since technically the bar isnt non-smoking so saying he couldnt smoke would be a lie. He walks halfway across the room, grabs an ashtray off a pool table and comes right back, next to me, and lights up. That entire half of the bar was empty except for me and the bartender. This is a pretty large room and holds 6 pooltables and 3 dart boards and also has an entrance on the other side of the room with an outside porch and gazebo bar. So theres no reason for him to stand 3 feet from me to smoke.

So Im going why the hell did this guy decide to stand right next to me and light up. It wasnt like the place was packed and he had no where else to stand. I looked at him and said "Do you mind? There is no one else in this part of the bar could you please smoke on the other side of the room" At first he ignores me and I could tell the guy was already drunk. I ask him again to politely go smoke somewhere else and thats when he starts getting mouthy saying stuff like "If you dont like to smell smoke stay home, this was a bar, and people smoke in bars" Now heres some more back story. This bar is owned by a very good friend of my parents and I am very good friends with all 4 of her children. Most of my friends have all been drinking in that bar since we were like 16 or 17 and all of us are over 30. Basically your typical "good ole boy" bar where everyone knows everyone and we all get along.

Normally Im a very passive guy. I dont go around starting fights even if I have been drinking. If someone tries to start a fight with me I usually just laugh in their face and walk away. I was only on beer #1 and this guy was already pissing me off. I dont like to smell smoke but I can deal with. But the fact that this guy walked right next to me when there was no one else in there and then proceeded to tell me to leave a bar I had been going to for 18 years was too much. Im kinda shocked at whats actually going on so I guess I was just staring at the guy so he leans over and blows smoke right in my face. OK thats crossing the line. I push him away a little to give me room to hop off my bar stole then land a right hook that puts him on the ground.

Well his loser friends all come over claiming they saw the whole thing and their friend was minding his own business watching the game having a smoke when I jump off my bar stool and punched him for no reason. I was just standing there talking to the bar tender and figured OK it was all over because thats usually how bar fights go. Well one of them calls the cops and the next thing I know Im in handcuffs. Good thing the police are also very good friends with the owner of the bar so the bartender tells them what really happened. The officer apologizes and lets me go. Bar tender then kicks the other people out of the bar.

If I hadnt been in a bar where I knew the owner I probably would have gone to jail. Seriously why was I the one about to go to jail when Im pretty sure everyone else would have done the same thing?
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2014-04-24 at 07:49 PM.

Deleted
    Because then the rich and famous would cease to exist.
    And guess who makes the law?

File a report against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Seriously why was I the one about to go to jail when Im pretty sure everyone else would have done the same thing?
    Because you battered a person?

Pretty clear to me. Good thing you have connections.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Long story about a bar
    While that guy was a dick, I don't think what you did was right either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Why should it be?

Because most of the world's population would be incarcerated?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, but punching people is already illegal. Smoking in public should be illegal too (Smoking in bars is illegal in Canada).

Seriously, the narrator in your story should totally have been arrested. An asshole shouldn't be able to get away with battery just because they've got connections to the police. If the narrator character was smart, they'd have moved to a different part of the bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    While that guy was a dick, I don't think what you did was right either.
    Dicks fuck pussies, our OP is an asshole and just shat all over the dick.

Never fuck an asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post
    Seriously, the narrator in your story should totally have been arrested. An asshole shouldn't be able to get away with battery just because they've got connections to the police. If the narrator character was smart, they'd have moved to a different part of the bar.
    But here's the problem, he was there first.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-04-24 at 07:58 PM.
    Hey everyone

So I went home the other day and havent been out in probably 6-7 months. I went to the bar to meet some friends I havent seen in a while and catch some NBA/NHL playoff action. I got there early and since I knew the bartender just sat down, flipped it to the game I wanted to watch, and started talking to her. The other half of the bar was starting to get busy but her side was still empty. Eventually she says she needs to finish setting up so I settle in to watch the game and wait for my friends.

Now neither me or any of my close friends smoke and usually we all hang out in one area of the bar and its pretty understood that no one smokes there. Well some douchebag tourist walks in and posts up right next to me, pulls out a pack of cigs and asks the bartender for an ashtray. She ignores him since technically the bar isnt non-smoking so saying he couldnt smoke would be a lie. He walks halfway across the room, grabs an ashtray off a pool table and comes right back, next to me, and lights up. That entire half of the bar was empty except for me and the bartender. This is a pretty large room and holds 6 pooltables and 3 dart boards and also has an entrance on the other side of the room with an outside porch and gazebo bar. So theres no reason for him to stand 3 feet from me to smoke.

So Im going why the hell did this guy decide to stand right next to me and light up. It wasnt like the place was packed and he had no where else to stand. I looked at him and said "Do you mind? There is no one else in this part of the bar could you please smoke on the other side of the room" At first he ignores me and I could tell the guy was already drunk. I ask him again to politely go smoke somewhere else and thats when he starts getting mouthy saying stuff like "If you dont like to smell smoke stay home, this was a bar, and people smoke in bars" Now heres some more back story. This bar is owned by a very good friend of my parents and I am very good friends with all 4 of her children. Most of my friends have all been drinking in that bar since we were like 16 or 17 and all of us are over 30. Basically your typical "good ole boy" bar where everyone knows everyone and we all get along.

Normally Im a very passive guy. I dont go around starting fights even if I have been drinking. If someone tries to start a fight with me I usually just laugh in their face and walk away. I was only on beer #1 and this guy was already pissing me off. I dont like to smell smoke but I can deal with. But the fact that this guy walked right next to me when there was no one else in there and then proceeded to tell me to leave a bar I had been going to for 18 years was too much. Im kinda shocked at whats actually going on so I guess I was just staring at the guy so he leans over and blows smoke right in my face. OK thats crossing the line. I push him away a little to give me room to hop off my bar stole then land a right hook that puts him on the ground.

Well his loser friends all come over claiming they saw the whole thing and their friend was minding his own business watching the game having a smoke when I jump off my bar stool and punched him for no reason. I was just standing there talking to the bar tender and figured OK it was all over because thats usually how bar fights go. Well one of them calls the cops and the next thing I know Im in handcuffs. Good thing the police are also very good friends with the owner of the bar so the bartender tells them what really happened. The officer apologizes and lets me go. Bar tender then kicks the other people out of the bar.

If I hadnt been in a bar where I knew the owner I probably would have gone to jail. Seriously why was I the one about to go to jail when Im pretty sure everyone else would have done the same thing?
    So you assaulted the guy, and you call him an asshole? Good times. I bet this is just your justified version of the story too.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure where you live but maybe you should get them up to speed with the rest of the world and not allow smoking inside

Probably because 'asshole', beyond biological/anatomical terms, is subjective.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Soviet anecdote, asshole is you.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-04-24 at 08:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Because you battered a person?

Pretty clear to me. Good thing you have connections.
    This.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    In Soviet anecdote, asshole is you.
    I'm tempted to change my sig.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bar allowed smokers. You went to the bar and complained about someone smoking. The asshole here is you, and that pretty much answers your question.

The notion of "asshole" is different to everybody. Asking a whole society to adopt your concept because it is convenient to you is, ironically, being an asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being an asshole doesn't always cause damages, so there's that

To bad it isnt. You're an asshole and should have gone to jail.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-04-24 at 08:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flaming isn't tolerated here and that's all that is happening with this thread right now due to the nature of the opening post.

Closing.