A final question before buying

Right, so been asking around here a few times, trying to make up my mind about a few things. So I'll start off by saying thanks!
    I've already bought some pieces like the CPU and the Motherboard, only displayed here for extra info.

Already bought!
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)

This months possible purchase!
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($346.99 @ Amazon)

Now, my last worries before pressing that sweet "Buy" button..
    a) Should I invest into a NH-DH14 instead of the 212 EVO. Everywhere I read how hot the i5-4670K gets and how more cooling cannot hurt, I realize that the 212 EVO probably is enough.. but is it enough enough?

b) My PSU from my old computer is 5 years old, although a reliable brand. It is not modular though and the case I have (an Antec 900) is a bit crowded, less cables going around would help with the airflow for the CPU cooler. I need a new one, which comes to question c.

c) Everywhere I read, people suggest 750W+ for the EVGA GTX 770, yet I see recommendations here for other 770s to use PSUs with around 550~. Not to mention PCPartPicker suggests wattage at around 400? How much power should I actually need?

d) Which PSU would be best suited for my needs. My only requirement for it (apart from actually powering the setup) is the modularity. Also price below 100€ would be sweet.

I live in Sweden, for what it's worth. Many thanks again, ye wise men of the Computer section!
    Last edited by Wintermut3; 2014-04-24 at 08:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    a) Should I invest into a NH-DH14 instead of the 212 EVO
    If you can afford it, swing it. A lot of times overclocking relies on how good your actual CPU is (the one I buy might not be as tolerant of OC as the one you buy, even if they're the same 'item').

How much power should I actually need?
    There is no single gpu setup that breaks 500w system power. a nice 550w modular will do fine. People recommend more for going SLI later, but 9 times out of 10, they don't go SLI. They just upgrade in 2-4 years.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    You buy your PC from Amazon US? Just curious if that's cheaper or not

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If you can afford it, swing it. A lot of times overclocking relies on how good your actual CPU is (the one I buy might not be as tolerant of OC as the one you buy, even if they're the same 'item').
    Alright, will see how far the funds reach!

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    There is no single gpu setup that breaks 500w system power. a nice 550w modular will do fine. People recommend more for going SLI later, but 9 times out of 10, they don't go SLI. They just upgrade in 2-4 years.
    This would do the job pretty well then?

Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    You buy your PC from Amazon US? Just curious if that's cheaper or not
    No, just used PCPartPicker because it makes it all look nice!
    Last edited by Wintermut3; 2014-04-24 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added extra reply

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermut3 View Post
    Alright, will see how far the funds reach!

This would do the job pretty well then?

No, just used PCPartPicker because it makes it all look nice!
    Thanks! /10char

A couple things, the Noctua is good but sometimes it can interfere with case/mobo compatibility. Always check their website first since the cooler is HUGE. I have the 770 GTX you are looking to buy..... it's amazing.... nuff said
    Pew Pew Pow Pow Bam Pop Smack

Deleted
    Dont get the 840 PRO, get a crucial m500. Much cheaper and you will not notice the performance difference.
    The money saved can be used for a new PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlebar View Post
    A couple things, the Noctua is good but sometimes it can interfere with case/mobo compatibility. Always check their website first since the cooler is HUGE. I have the 770 GTX you are looking to buy..... it's amazing.... nuff said
    Will definitely check this if I end up getting the Noctua, thanks!
    Looking forward to squeezing everything out of this GTX 770.. :>

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Dont get the 840 PRO, get a crucial m500. Much cheaper and you will not notice the performance difference.
    The money saved can be used for a new PSU.
    The difference in my shops turns out to be roughly 15-20e between the two.

As for the PSU, I'm looking to get this: http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/250 - any thoughts?
    Also, this PSU has 2x 12V rails at 30 each and the EVGA suggests a minimum of a V12 rail at 40+. Do the 2x Rails combine to get a total of 60v, or how does it work?

Deleted
    Yes thats good one winter, i just made a new build with the 530w one from the same series, same setup as yourself, i5 4670k+gtx770

Deleted
    Dump the Pro series for the 840 EVO or the 480GB Crucial M500. I'd also consider getting the Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz kit from Newegg, as it's cheaper for slightly higher clock speeds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Dump the Pro series for the 840 EVO or the 480GB Crucial M500. I'd also consider getting the Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz kit from Newegg, as it's cheaper for slightly higher clock speeds.
    Vengeance will not fit below evo?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Vengeance will not fit below evo?
    There should be low profile versions

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    There should be low profile versions
    I hadn't actually considered this, would the G.Skill I linked to in the OP be able to fit in below the CPU Cooler?
    They're listed as 40mm height while other Low Profile versions are listed as ~26mm.

Seems I should go for Low Profile versions then, just in case.

Deleted
    Im not sure. But I think they should fit. It is just that some modules have fins the size of the modules themselves sticking out.

Just finalized the purchase, ended up with the Be Quiet 630W and the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (just in case).

Thanks a lot to everyone for their advice, much appreciated!

I have OC a 4670K with the 212 up to 4.6 without any heat issues under very unrealistic day to day benchmark situations.

But it depends completely on the silicon lottery. Not all 4670K chips are created the same sadly. Some will unstable at 4.0, some at 4.2, and others at 4.4.. you get the point. Others will get hotter than others. This is always the biggest roll of the dice when buying a system to OC. But I have never ran into one that has had cooling situations and instability before 4.3. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, but just personal experience with about 20 some builds between the 46 and 4770ks.

Now I am not going to say the NH-DH14 isn't the superior cooler. It is. But we are talking about shaving a degree MAYBE a degree and a half off the over all total under benchmark situations. If that is worth the money to you than it is, hands down get it, enthusiast mind set is what it is. But it is a MUCH wider cooler. Consider if your rams heat spreaders will stick up to far. Or if one day you planned to expand to 16 gigs (next logical ram upgrade with the 8) if it would be possible with the NH-DH14.

As for power. Two things to consider. One is not a single GPU situation isn't going ask for more than 500ish. Two is what do you plan to expand to. If you plan to drop an SLI or possibly upgrading to some unseen/unknown power monger of a GPU in the future than go a little bigger. Not to mention as it gets older it will become less efficient etc. I don't suggest walking the line (400-450) but a health 500-600 will be plenty unless you plan to go SLI in the future. Than you might as well jump to the 700's for "just in case" situations. Again this all depends on where your plans in the future lay and how tight the budget is.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2014-04-26 at 09:48 AM.