10+ Year Old Account

game is tearing/lagging

im not sure whats the proper explanation of this, but the game is like lagging, jumping from frame to frame. its noticable to eye and really frustrating, especially when my PC should be overkill for TOR

here are my specs:
    CPU: i5 3470
    ram: 8gb (2x4) adata 2000mhz
    GPU: geforce asus gtx 660

gpu drivers are always up to date.

it doesnt happen in any other MMO like WoW or EVE online nor graphic intensive like BF3 yet it happens in swtor. i would rly like to continue playing this game but it gets really annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

noone has this problem with swtor ?

Does it happen on *every* frame (i.e., what is your overall FPS?) or does it correlate with harddisk access? In the latter case, you might give SWTOR Unleashed a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try using Vertical Sync. If you are already using it, what FPS do you usually have?

From your specs, your computer should eat this game for breakfast.

10+ Year Old Account
    with vsyn on or off still same thing happens, also lowering all settings doesnt help. its like its meant to be like that. i usually have 60 fps when pressing shift ctrl f, sometimes it turns red and its above 60 and sometimes below. but its not like my framerate drops to 30 in some places, no. it weirdly jumps so that i lose many more frames in a very short period. dont know how to explain it thats the problem.

also to the first poster. i tried swtor unleashed. didnt help and yeah my pc should be twice enough for this game but apparently the issue is somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is really strange. It sounds like refresh rate in your game for some reason sets itself to something lower than 60 Hz. Maybe try to force 60+ through NVidia Control Panel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is really strange. It sounds like refresh rate in your game for some reason sets itself to something lower than 60 Hz. Maybe try to force 60+ through NVidia Control Panel?
    and how exactly to do that ? if its in resolution tab, then its already set to 60Hz and there is no other option. same in the game, its set to 60.
    Last edited by Proskill; 2014-04-27 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    and how exactly to do that ? if its in resolution tab, then its already set to 60Hz and there is no other option. same in the game, its set to 60.
    There is some option like "Refresh rate -> Highest available" in the 3D settings. It should, ideally, force the highest refresh rate your monitor supports in the game. I doubt it will help though. It seems that the problem you're having is not related to refresh rate, but rather with wrong interaction between the game and your hardware. Do you possibly have outdated drivers, have you tried repairing SWTOR (available in launcher), or maybe there is something set in your NVidia Control Panel options that is not working very well with the game, such as Ambient Occlusion?

If not, then I really have no clue what's happening...
    Last edited by May90; 2014-04-27 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    this might or might not help to solve this problem but when i switch from fullscreen to windowed mode it actually runs fluently, smoothly. but i hate playing in windowed mode, i never do that. but it feels so much better. how come it runs 'tearing' only in fullscreen ? and its not the tearing of vsync being off where two halves of screen dont synchronize, its the framerate tear.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    this might or might not help to solve this problem but when i switch from fullscreen to windowed mode it actually runs fluently, smoothly. but i hate playing in windowed mode, i never do that. but it feels so much better. how come it runs 'tearing' only in fullscreen ? and its not the tearing of vsync being off where two halves of screen dont synchronize, its the framerate tear.
    That's interesting. What is the recommended resolution of your monitor? Is the game set to that resolution in the graphics setting? Also, have you experienced any memory dumps while playing any games or watching videos recently?

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, if it is so, then either you really get lower refresh rate in the game than you should (in windowed mode it is always the same as in Windows, so that might explain while it works fluent for you), or there is some program on the background that takes a lot of resources. The latter very well may be happening, and the possible reason you haven't seen it in other games is that SWTOR may be set to run in lower priority for some reason than some other program. Have you tried stopping absolutely all other programs, including antivirus, web browser, literally everything except for SWTOR?

Also, I think you could try to use Bioware support service. If you explain to them that in windowed mode the game runs smooth but in fullscreen mode laggy, then they should have some explanation of why that might be happening.

If you want to experiment: Try turning on compatibility mode for SWTOR in Windows 7, so that it disables the 3D desktop effects. Then check if it changes anything in fullscreen mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyr View Post
    If you want to experiment: Try turning on compatibility mode for SWTOR in Windows 7, so that it disables the 3D desktop effects. Then check if it changes anything in fullscreen mode.
    unfortunately it doesnt change anything

only windowed mode fixes this. but it doesnt feel as comfortable as fullscreen. and btw i cannot make GM ticket as im on f2p acc for now.