Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Torment 1 brick wall

I'm a bit lost on where to go next. Currently playing a wizard. Don't really know what build I want to play -- although I've been playing a Disintegrate with no primaries for some time now. I liked the WD's vampiric bat concept.

Someone said resist all is bad for Int classes because of overkill. I have about 1100 without Energy Armor. All my gear has Int/Vit/Resist all. A few crit chance (sitting at 36 CC and 200ish CD). I can kill things just fine, but definitely far from facerolling. Also lately I feel a bit squishier than I remembered -- almost died to a waller/jailer/plague/arcane group.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/.../hero/46008736

Is it just an issue of "find more legendaries"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Basically yes. I would hop into some T1 public games and just do your best to dish out damage from a distance. Just make sure you find rifts; people tend to do split bounties a lot and that is too hard to solo in rare gear (as it was for my Demon Hunter). You'll start to get legendaries and, more importantly get gold to start combining the high tier gems (they are EXPENSIVE).

If you want to solo find the difficulty level you can solo the easiest and, most importantly quickest. You still get legendaries in lower difficulty levels. Torment gives a few unique legendaries but otherwise has the same loot table/higher drop chance. As for Resist All, it's as far as I can tell best balanced with armor. I would aim mostly for offensive stats at this point though. Blowing things up is more efficient than taking damage as a Wizard. I would only focus on defensive stats for T3+, even solo.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit lost on where to go next. Currently playing a wizard. Don't really know what build I want to play -- although I've been playing a Disintegrate with no primaries for some time now. I liked the WD's vampiric bat concept.

Someone said resist all is bad for Int classes because of overkill. I have about 1100 without Energy Armor. All my gear has Int/Vit/Resist all. A few crit chance (sitting at 36 CC and 200ish CD). I can kill things just fine, but definitely far from facerolling. Also lately I feel a bit squishier than I remembered -- almost died to a waller/jailer/plague/arcane group.

I would still say you are kinda low on the gear side. Being in T1 with that gear isn't bad

10+ Year Old Account
    You play softcore?

If so, all resist might be over kill, but it's never a bad thing if you get it.

And yeah, some affixes can just absolutely wreck you. One night we were about to go to T3 from T2 on Hardcore because of how faceroll it was and then a pack came up and killed every single one of us with almost one shot.

But crit chance/damage is pretty much what you need. It's annoying but... there you are. Sparkflint - Familiar and Force Weapon - Magic Weapon are easily the skills with the added paper dps I believe. It's definitely an interesting build for sure. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it though. Could upgrade your gems but other than that... more legendaries

Resist all is pretty terrible in general, but especially so for int classes. WDs get all they need just from their int and buffs and damage reduction in general and Wizards can stack absorbs and not need it as well. The difference between 800 and 1400 all resist is not nearly good enough to warrant losing the extra spell damage/crit/crit damage/attack speed/elemental damage/sockets for more main stats, in my opinion, and I'm a hardcore player. My Wizard has 4 million toughness and I play her in t1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I would aim mostly for offensive stats at this point though. Blowing things up is more efficient than taking damage as a Wizard. I would only focus on defensive stats for T3+, even solo.
    I wish I had that much money to enchant. I get a somewhat decent gear and it's a pain to try to get one crit chance, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I would still say you are kinda low on the gear side. Being in T1 with that gear isn't bad
    T1 is still sometimes a struggle for me. T2 is probably far off for me. I just don't know how to up my damage without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJSparrow View Post
    You play softcore?
    I play both, but this wizard is HC. Solo play.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJSparrow View Post
    But crit chance/damage is pretty much what you need. It's annoying but... there you are. Sparkflint - Familiar and Force Weapon - Magic Weapon are easily the skills with the added paper dps I believe. It's definitely an interesting build for sure. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it though. Could upgrade your gems but other than that... more legendaries
    I was experimenting when I logged out, for some reason the server latency started to spike and I started rubberbanding, so I left before something bad happened. lol.

Pre-2.0 I read about monks keeping up Tempest Rush infinitely -- the idea was to have equal or more Spirit regen than Tempest rush is draining. And inifinite whirlwind for barbarians. I figured the same could be done for wizard. The one I was playing around with was:

Familiar - Arcanot (gives AP)
    Magic Weapon - Conduit I think (attacks give AP)
    Astral Presence (moar AP)
    Storm Armor - Power of the Storm (less AP per tick)
    Unwavering Will - I'm a turret wizard. Bewm!

Carry the slowest 2H I can find - less AP draining rate.

I have no AP-on-crit, so those were the best I could come up with. I picked the templar for an additional 1.4 AP per second. All these to support one skill. I wasn't sure that was such a great idea, but it was sort of fun. Until I almost died.

Craft the Aughild's set if you got it, and if you don't pray that it drops soon. Farm the crafting materials in adventure mode act 1 while doing bounties trying to score the Grandeur ring. Elite damage increase/reduction and melee damage reduction help a lot when moving up torments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had that much money to enchant. I get a somewhat decent gear and it's a pain to try to get one crit chance, for example.

T1 is still sometimes a struggle for me. T2 is probably far off for me. I just don't know how to up my damage without dying.

I play both, but this wizard is HC. Solo play.

I was experimenting when I logged out, for some reason the server latency started to spike and I started rubberbanding, so I left before something bad happened. lol.

Pre-2.0 I read about monks keeping up Tempest Rush infinitely -- the idea was to have equal or more Spirit regen than Tempest rush is draining. And inifinite whirlwind for barbarians. I figured the same could be done for wizard. The one I was playing around with was:

Familiar - Arcanot (gives AP)
    Magic Weapon - Conduit I think (attacks give AP)
    Astral Presence (moar AP)
    Storm Armor - Power of the Storm (less AP per tick)
    Unwavering Will - I'm a turret wizard. Bewm!

Carry the slowest 2H I can find - less AP draining rate.

I have no AP-on-crit, so those were the best I could come up with. I picked the templar for an additional 1.4 AP per second. All these to support one skill. I wasn't sure that was such a great idea, but it was sort of fun. Until I almost died.

Hahaha that's going to happen though just no way around it. No matter how good you build (unless your stats are just INSANE for the difficulty) there's going to be that one pack that comes out of left field and just... ouch.

Honestly the two hander idea isn't a bad one, but if you really are curious I'd just experiment with builds. I've found Frozen Orb in low gear levels the best go to spell, even if it is completely dependent on accuracy.

The thing that is interesting about the game at this time is the fact that one item can completely change your playstyle. Like if you got a decent one hander and a Mirrorball (two magic missiles at the same time), with all that + arcane damage your Missiles would be INSANE and it would change your build significantly. I would really just keep grinding in the hopes that you find some game changing stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't notice it was a HC character at all.

In that case, the approach I've taken is to balance everything. I balanced armor, resist all, crit and crit damage. If you managed to avoid a close call on HC then you have the skills (or are developing the skills). You just need the gear to back it up. A lot of HC characters farm non-Torment difficulties first.

Deleted
    I don't think there is much point in trying to mantain disintegrate, at least at low gear level. Pick a signature spell like electrocute along with the passive that gives AP every time you cast a sig spell and you can regen your ap in like no time at all.
    That way you can equip a wand+off hand without caring etc
    Check out this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12249154969#1
    Ofcourse you'll have to change glass canon if you are playing hardcore etc, but it could increase your damage (disintegrate:intensify+elemental exposure just rocks imo)

1) Aughild's set is a must have
    2) 1h + offhand is better than 2h.
    3) Energy Armor is worth trying to aim for(big boost to survivability + 5% crit). I use a perma Disintegrate build as well, which has me running APoC on my offhand, as well as 3 pc tal rasha. In your case, since you run Diamond Skin, you can consider Prism as your rune of choice. I also have ~15% RCR on my gear and 10% RCR in paragon points.
    4) And yes, primaries/signature spells are a waste of slot with the right setup on your gear. May as well run Black Hole/teleport/archon.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2014-04-25 at 01:18 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JoErVoL View Post
    I don't think there is much point in trying to mantain disintegrate, at least at low gear level. Pick a signature spell like electrocute along with the passive that gives AP every time you cast a sig spell and you can regen your ap in like no time at all.
    That way you can equip a wand+off hand without caring etc
    This is my thought too -- right now I have 3 abilities that give AP, the opportunity cost being +10% damage from Sparkflint, +10% damage from Force weapon, etc. All so I can save one hotkey slot. I'll try 1H + orb and farming Master for now.

Deleted

I recently leveled my wizards up to 70 and been going with a black holy / archon build. I have no idea if this is viable at higher torments, but for now it is quite fun and easy to get around.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Nm!ZYbS!ZcZZcc

The idea is to stack CD reduction to drop the CD on black hole and archon; especially the first because it combos so well with disintegrate. Basically, black hole + disintegrate to take advantage of the damage bonus from spellsteal, and with elite / bigger packs, black hole + archon. The black hole gets the damage buff and archon kills the initial pack, gaining a huge damage boost for a short amount of time.

With that champions and rift guardians both go down really fast and farming through rifts or bounties is like taking a stroll in the park.

To give some context, I hit 70 yesterday and already skipped to T1. The build is not very gear dependent, as you need maybe ~30% CDR to get started, and you get 20% from evocation alone. I have only three legendaries, and the rest are mainly rares I've collected down the line. From here it is stack more CC/CD, and arcane elem % damage.

Yeah, AR isn't really necessary for wizards since we get so much of it for free. I have focused more on armor than anything else, and very little vitality. For now, I'm hovering around 300k HP, 9.2k armor, and 1.1k+ AR. I've spent paragon points mainly to gain ~4k LoH and ~8k hp regen, and it is all easily enough to do T1. Haven't tried T2 so no idea how it would perform there.

All and all, it's a fun build and most importantly, easy to get started with.

Deleted
    I run a similar build I slowly moved away from AP saving skills.

Get a helm with 4 AP on Crit (or a source or both).

Consider using deflection on Magic Weapon it is way more amazing in HC than it sounds! (This was a game changer for me).

What disintegrate rune do you use? Once you get AP on Crit Chaos Nexus is really good!

Consider spending utility paragon points on reduce resource, I don't find life on hit very good for Disintergrate build because of stupid low proc rate.

I am not sure I should say anything as I moved to T2 doing these changes and 2 days later teleported into elite pack and a purple while kiting a champ pack both packs had arcane enchanted one was horde one was fast I will let you imagine what happened!

Also avoid attack speed like the plague if you use slow time use the +DMG to mobs in it and not the 10% buff to you as it does this using Attack Speed!

Try getting Reduce Resouce on shoulders it's the best slot to try and get it on imo!
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2014-04-26 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Resist all is pretty terrible in general, but especially so for int classes. WDs get all they need just from their int and buffs and damage reduction in general and Wizards can stack absorbs and not need it as well. The difference between 800 and 1400 all resist is not nearly good enough to warrant losing the extra spell damage/crit/crit damage/attack speed/elemental damage/sockets for more main stats, in my opinion, and I'm a hardcore player. My Wizard has 4 million toughness and I play her in t1.
    Resist are no mater for T1 heros, but resists are mandatory in t4+, I have 1800 without energy armor and without sacrificing 1 single point of DPS.

I also run "nearly" infinite Desintegrate 4 elemental spec(for buffing my party with Elemental Exposure and procing the sweet 4set talrasha's bonus)

All I needed was 4apoc on the source, talrasha 2ap/sec and the other passive for 2ap/sec
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2014-04-26 at 12:37 PM.

You need resist all and armor if you wanna go up in diff. Get them wherever you can if you don't have to sacrifice damage for it. Life% and Vit are overrated. 400k hp will do just fine. I have 60k less hp than you and I am farming T3 so hp is surely not a problem for you. Other than that stack+ele dmg,+skill dmg,crit chance and crit dmg on some crucial pieces that give a lot of it. Crit dmg is almost a must on amulet. It's the only single piece that can give you up to 100% crit dmg.

Also, Aughid 3 set bonus is extremely good. T3 went from doable to on farm status with that set for me. It miligates huge amount of damage from elites.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2014-04-26 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Resist are no mater for T1 heros, but resists are mandatory in t4+, I have 1800 without energy armor and without sacrificing 1 single point of DPS.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, and we're talking about a new character trying to get into T1, not t4+.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, and we're talking about a new character trying to get into T1, not t4+.
    Even if it's just T1, Resist All is very helpful for negating bad RNG.

People saying RA is bad for "insert class" are wrong, simply because damage reduction is never bad and RA has no diminishing returns.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

RA for every class except maybe DH is inherently bad if you're sacrificing DPS stats for it, this is just especially true for the OP, who is a wizard and should have 900 RA just from his intelligence and paragon points, which is plenty.

RA for every class except maybe DH is inherently bad if you're sacrificing DPS stats for it, this is just especially true for the OP, who is a wizard and should have 900 RA just from his intelligence and paragon points, which is plenty.
    It maybe true for OP because he is playing T1 but no in general. To do higher torments, you simply need lots of AR/armor/healing. AR not being as valuable as DOS stats doesn't mean it's bad. You just need to balance and get them on pieces like shoulder/chest/boots/pants.