Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Epic! Edison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roaming around.
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What risk are you talking about? Whenever this subject has been polled your side has always been on the losing side, overwhelmingly.
    Polled on this website yes, most people that hang here is here because of wow and the current state of wow. Most people that gave up WoW because of how terrible it turned out don't come here. (I'm here for the ESO thread and the off topic forums) And not for WoW. But I decided to jump into this discussion after seeing everyone hating and being so scared of vanilla servers.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Blizzard are currently paying for dozens of empty servers.
    this.
    If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    Polled on this website yes, most people that hang here is here because of wow and the current state of wow. Most people that gave up WoW because of how terrible it turned out don't come here. (I'm here for the ESO thread and the off topic forums) And not for WoW. But I decided to jump into this discussion after seeing everyone hating and being so scared of vanilla servers.
    Hell personally I am of the opinion that they should open a vanilla server just to show you how small a minority you are and how many of you would quit after the initial rush wore off within the first week or two. Although on the condition they could do this"over night" as some here have proclaimed. But I know they won't open them because they know this already... although their primary reason is propably because they want to keep looking forward and not backward.

    Blizzard are currently paying for dozens of empty servers.
    Closing servers in an MMO gives an impression of a dying game to the general public (even if it isn't true). They're paying so that they won't lose even more money.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-25 at 11:44 PM.

  3. #83
    Epic! Edison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roaming around.
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Hell personally I am of the opinion that they should open a vanilla servers just to show you how small a minority you are and how many of you would quit after the initial rush wore off within the first week or two. But I know they won't open them because they know this already... although their primary reason is propably because they want to keep looking forward and not backward.
    The main reason is money, the easier it is the easier it is for people to pick up. More kids, more money. I don't think it would "wear" off after a couple of weeks, most of us would come back for the raiding and PVP experience that Vanilla wow had and that would keep most of us around for long. Sure some people would get tired and leave, just like they are now. But the people who love the classic wow would stick around. They could easily have a server with a medium-full pop and make money out of it.
    If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I would like them to be non-existing.
    After reading the ENTIRE original post, this was my only thought.

    Like, everything that i read in that first post, i would prefer it if it was non-existing.

    Classic servers are available on private pirate servers, go for it.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    They could easily have a server with a medium-full pop and make money out of it.
    Not enough for a company their size, that's the point.

  6. #86
    Epic! Edison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roaming around.
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Not enough for a company their size, that's the point.
    Because every server on WoW is full right now? You mean there's no empty servers? Okay, awesome.
    It's more than enough. They would bring people BACK and get money from it. Whilst people like you that doesn't want a vanilla realm will keep paying for the current wow. And as you see this discussion leads us nowhere.
    If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    Because every server on WoW is full right now? You mean there's no empty servers? Okay, awesome.
    I already explained that. Look a couple of posts above.

  8. #88
    No thanks. I already played my fair share of vanilla and it wasn't that great.

  9. #89
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,598
    Just have them progress naturally, maybe extending the time between patches so that the experience lasts longer, then have the servers either, cap out once they reach the end, or just have them continue to last until it catches upto current time. However its probably important to never allow transfers from classic servers to normal servers.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Closing servers in an MMO gives an impression of a dying game to the general public (even if it isn't true). They're paying so that they won't lose even more money.
    Funny because they are losing money by not merging them, check Shattered Halls out on EU. Its beyond what any normal person would consider a joke. I think there was a few thousand things on the AH at max.

  10. #90
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I would like them to be non-existing.
    Creepy, you read my fucking mind. Coming from someone who leveled to 40-something on a 1x vanilla server.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  11. #91
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,514
    Usually the idea of any sort of classic server, be it Vanilla or TBC needs to answer the "what patch" question.

    I think you people who love the pure nostalgia should play the 1.0 version, right? Or whatever was release in Nov 2004 (US) and Feb 20005 (EU). Everything beyond that just watered the purity down and isn't truly Classic.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Funny because they are losing money by not merging them, check Shattered Halls out on EU. Its beyond what any normal person would consider a joke. I think there was a few thousand things on the AH at max.
    If there's only a few people left on the server it means lots of others have used paid transfer to move. The few diehards who stubbornly stay on a dead server are still there... paying and complaining. Where does blizz lose money in this? Now, there are people who have left the game for good but that doesn't count in this scenario because people have quit from perfectly healthy servers for good aswell and it's the overall trend for the game atm to lose players slowly but surely.

    I think you people who love the pure nostalgia should play the 1.0 version, right? Or whatever was release in Nov 2004 (US) and Feb 20005 (EU). Everything beyond that just watered the purity down and isn't truly Classic.
    Well whatever is the crappiest patch with the most bugs and least functioning specs I'm sure would be the most authentic experience.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-26 at 12:45 AM.

  13. #93
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If there's only a few people left on the server it means lots of others have used paid transfer to move. The few diehards who stubbornly stay on a dead server are still there... paying and complaining. Where does blizz lose money in this? Now, there are people who have left the game for good but that doesn't count in this scenario because people have quit from perfectly healthy servers for good aswell and it's the overall trend for the game atm to lose players slowly but surely.
    To be honest most people have straight up quit. And I dont blame them, its not my job to keep a stable server and ensure that players are getting their monies worth. Blizzard have a duty to ensure servers are at healthy levels and when they arent, making players pay to make the problem worse is just deplorable.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    To be honest most people have straight up quit.
    And where is your evidence that these come mainly from dead servers and not evenly from across all servers?

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If there's only a few people left on the server it means lots of others have used paid transfer to move. The few diehards who stubbornly stay on a dead server are still there... paying and complaining. Where does blizz lose money in this? Now, there are people who have left the game for good but that doesn't count in this scenario because people have quit from perfectly healthy servers for good aswell and it's the overall trend for the game atm to lose players slowly but surely.
    So your argument is basically WoW was always going to die so Blizzard may as well suck players dry?

    It wouldn't have been hard to merge a few low population servers so that players had more medium population servers to choose from which would have stopped WoW from bleeding as many subs. Blizz could have merged servers during Wrath or the start of Cata when the cracks started to show when the game was at its peak. They didn't. They made tons of money from faction and server transfers instead.

    That's incredibly greedy. But you defend greed right?

  16. #96
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    And where is your evidence that these come mainly from dead servers and not evenly from across all servers?
    If a server is healthy it wont have more people leaving than a dead server with a sub par gaming experience. That much is obvious. And I dont remember stating anything of the sort, I just said that an overwhelming amount of people I was acquainted with, flat out quit instead of Xferring all their characters. I reckon if those servers werent allowed to die then people would have stayed.

    You cant underestimate how shit WoW is when theres no one to play with. My alts gather so much dust they might as well not exist.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    If a server is healthy it wont have more people leaving than a dead server with a sub par gaming experience. That much is obvious.
    I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about the people who quit for good and not those who leave to a healthier server.
    I just said that an overwhelming amount of people I was acquainted with, flat out quit instead of Xferring all their characters.
    I can say the same and those people played on a healthy server. Although I can't say for sure how many have came back and transferred or started up from nothing again. Can you?

    You cant underestimate how shit WoW is when theres no one to play with.
    I know exactly how it is. After I came back from a long break my once healthy server had became a ghost town.

    So your argument is basically WoW was always going to die so Blizzard may as well suck players dry?
    No, but nice strawman.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-26 at 02:10 AM.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Not enough for a company their size, that's the point.
    I think that, to blizzard's mindset (despite many millions of former players in western regions), this is the main issue.

    Therefore I just want to interject that, if they reach the point where this seems a good way to keep the goose laying a bit faster, I find it almost unimaginable that they won't 'accessibilize' it. Think 3.3.5 tuning as far as classic mobs/instances/questing/sparkles/loottables/etc. goes, if not even more nerfed. The folks who seriously thought they could jump into a real classic engine and expect to max level and down kt in 3 months might get the last laugh despite being clueless, because that is what blizzard has taught them to expect.

    Wow is now, with vivendi mostly out, the property of Bobby Kotick more than any one person in the world. Think about that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Usually the idea of any sort of classic server, be it Vanilla or TBC needs to answer the "what patch" question.

    I think you people who love the pure nostalgia should play the 1.0 version, right? Or whatever was release in Nov 2004 (US) and Feb 20005 (EU). Everything beyond that just watered the purity down and isn't truly Classic.
    in a non-perfect world, I think most folks realize their favorite patch isn't likely to be the one they get (granting the assumption of the server existing).

    most likely seems end-state of expansion, e.g. 1.12.1, 2.4.3 etc. pro's and con's on all sides. raids could certainly be gated. events could happen, etc. but basic character/talent/etc. stuff is much more likely to be a single version.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2014-04-26 at 03:53 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, John Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Agatha Christie, Steven Erikson & Ian Esslemont, Stephen R Donaldon, and recently Jack L Chalker.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    And why do you think it would hurt them the slightest to push out vanilla realms and charge a monthly fee for it? don't give me the "It will cost them thousands to set it up" nonsense because it simply wouldn't.
    Too bad you're wrong. Even hiring five GM's to answer to the vanilla tickets specifically (remember you need to train people to watch over totally different game than the MoP version is) for 24/7 customer support would cost more than 1000 subscribers bring in annually.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Wow is now, with vivendi mostly out, the property of Bobby Kotick more than any one person in the world. Think about that.
    Tom Chilton is still the guy in charge of WoW like he was back in 2004 no matter how much you try to paint Bobby Kotick satan. Think about that.

  20. #100
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    421
    Available on Xbox and Playstation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •