Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Talent Trees - How would you feel..

    How would you feel towards a talent tree system like this:

    http://imgur.com/UlpxfYJ

    This would keep the feel of the new talent system while having the choice of the old system (where you can put secondary stats where you want them.)

    Comments, concerns?
    Last edited by Maciev; 2014-04-27 at 01:42 AM.

  2. #2
    This is kind of what I was thinking too. Passive old talents you can give points + New talents

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,839
    The RNG of perks? As if that is some kind of legit concern? You get all of the perks once you hit level 100 so I fail to see any RNG problem.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    The RNG of perks? As if that is some kind of legit concern? You get all of the perks once you hit level 100 so I fail to see any RNG problem.
    Fixed the original post. I don't see RNG as much of a problem. I just dislike everybody having the same exact stats/bonuses, it seems very uniform.

  5. #5
    Sounds lame, if something is arbitrarily split into five just so that I need to click it five times I'd rather it just didn't give it to me until I could buy the whole thing.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciev View Post
    Fixed the original post. I don't see RNG as much of a problem. I just dislike everybody having the same exact stats/bonuses, it seems very uniform.
    Which your suggestion would do nothing about. Just in case you missed the 8 years of old talent trees proving that.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Which your suggestion would do nothing about. Just in case you missed the 8 years of old talent trees proving that.
    It wouldn't fix everything, that is why I am open to suggestions. My talent tree proposition would at least allow choice to choose which secondary stats you would like to spec into.

  8. #8
    But secondary stats are like, the literal easiest thing to mathematically decide upon
    With talents there's usually at least some circumstances that you might be able to justify taking a talent that is unpopular, some niche use or reason that it fits your playstyle better

    With secondary stats you can be objectively wrong if you put your points into mastery instead of crit

    Plus you'd basically not even notice gaining 1% in any of the secondary stats per level.

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    I was actually imagining something just like this in my head. Having these "minor talents" in between the "major talents" that we have now.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciev View Post
    It wouldn't fix everything, that is why I am open to suggestions. My talent tree proposition would at least allow choice to choose which secondary stats you would like to spec into.
    there is already a secondary stat system in place. It's called gear.

  11. #11
    would hate anything remotely similar to what you are suggestion
    Stormspellz -mugthol
    Battletag - Stormz#1438

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciev View Post
    Fixed the original post. I don't see RNG as much of a problem. I just dislike everybody having the same exact stats/bonuses, it seems very uniform.
    Everyone followed the same spec anyways, because one always ended up mathematically better than the other options.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciev View Post
    I just dislike everybody having the same exact stats/bonuses, it seems very uniform.
    Well they're going to have them anyway even when they can choose. Ever heard of cookie cutter builds? Why would you take +10 stamina as a rogue if the other option was +10 agility? And those who don't get called noobs (often rightfully so).
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-27 at 03:01 AM.

  14. #14
    Ok so lets come up with something that allows us to choose some secondary stats so we can be a bit different. We shall call them gems.
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is than I feel sorry for you"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by wookybear View Post
    Ok so lets come up with something that allows us to choose some secondary stats so we can be a bit different. We shall call them gems.
    Revolutionary! Give this man a spot in the project Titan team.

  16. #16
    Honestly I like the current spec sytstem more than the old one and more than the propsed ideas here. I like the idea of all of them being dynamic, interesting choices. Now granted, some talent tiers need improvement like the mage lvl 90 tier, but all in all I like the system. Secondary stats and tertiary stats I feel are better suited to gems/enchants/gear etc rather than speccing into them.
    "If you have to believe it on faith, you have no reason to believe it at all.” Aron Ra

  17. #17
    Pandaren Monk matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciev View Post
    Fixed the original post. I don't see RNG as much of a problem. I just dislike everybody having the same exact stats/bonuses, it seems very uniform.
    Oh ok. Well that I could get on board with if done right.
    I hate to bring it up here, but kind of like what wildstar is doing with their amp or w/e they are called. They reminded me of old-school talents, but are diverse enough to be able to branch ur character off into different 'aspects' of the game if you will. It's still "+1 crit" and all that, but you have to choose if you want that +1 crit or +50hp or +50mana etc etc.

  18. #18
    So long as hybrids are possible, and possibly viable. Would like to think we can have more choice than just spec 1, 2, or 3.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    Honestly I like the current spec sytstem more than the old one and more than the propsed ideas here. I like the idea of all of them being dynamic, interesting choices. Now granted, some talent tiers need improvement like the mage lvl 90 tier, but all in all I like the system. Secondary stats and tertiary stats I feel are better suited to gems/enchants/gear etc rather than speccing into them.
    Agreed. If the people on these forums were game designers, then WoW would've never got off the ground in the first place.

    The current talent system is the best of both worlds so far as talent trees go. I do wish they'd make the trees more like Diablo 3 (where you have glyphs that change the functionality of each spell and talents that give you overall abilities) but I recognize that balancing that around thousands of spell combinations and thirteen classes would be almost impossible.

  20. #20
    i would feel good about talent trees when they went back to vanilla trees and made every choice a valid option rather than scrap the whole tree and make cookie cutter based on your spec you're in..
    trees now have NO depth, it's only matter of time until blizzard removes them as well and we're all arcane mages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •