Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Hell personally I am of the opinion that they should open a vanilla servers just to show you how small a minority you are and how many of you would quit after the initial rush wore off within the first week or two. But I know they won't open them because they know this already... although their primary reason is propably because they want to keep looking forward and not backward.
    The main reason is money, the easier it is the easier it is for people to pick up. More kids, more money. I don't think it would "wear" off after a couple of weeks, most of us would come back for the raiding and PVP experience that Vanilla wow had and that would keep most of us around for long. Sure some people would get tired and leave, just like they are now. But the people who love the classic wow would stick around. They could easily have a server with a medium-full pop and make money out of it.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I would like them to be non-existing.
    After reading the ENTIRE original post, this was my only thought.

Like, everything that i read in that first post, i would prefer it if it was non-existing.

Classic servers are available on private pirate servers, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    They could easily have a server with a medium-full pop and make money out of it.
    Not enough for a company their size, that's the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because every server on WoW is full right now? You mean there's no empty servers? Okay, awesome.
    It's more than enough. They would bring people BACK and get money from it. Whilst people like you that doesn't want a vanilla realm will keep paying for the current wow. And as you see this discussion leads us nowhere.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Because every server on WoW is full right now? You mean there's no empty servers? Okay, awesome.
    I already explained that. Look a couple of posts above.

No thanks. I already played my fair share of vanilla and it wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I would like them to be non-existing.
    Creepy, you read my fucking mind. Coming from someone who leveled to 40-something on a 1x vanilla server.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Funny because they are losing money by not merging them, check Shattered Halls out on EU. Its beyond what any normal person would consider a joke. I think there was a few thousand things on the AH at max.
    If there's only a few people left on the server it means lots of others have used paid transfer to move. The few diehards who stubbornly stay on a dead server are still there... paying and complaining. Where does blizz lose money in this? Now, there are people who have left the game for good but that doesn't count in this scenario because people have quit from perfectly healthy servers for good aswell and it's the overall trend for the game atm to lose players slowly but surely.

I think you people who love the pure nostalgia should play the 1.0 version, right? Or whatever was release in Nov 2004 (US) and Feb 20005 (EU). Everything beyond that just watered the purity down and isn't truly Classic.
    Well whatever is the crappiest patch with the most bugs and least functioning specs I'm sure would be the most authentic experience.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-26 at 12:45 AM.

To be honest most people have straight up quit.
    And where is your evidence that these come mainly from dead servers and not evenly from across all servers?

Deleted
    If there's only a few people left on the server it means lots of others have used paid transfer to move. The few diehards who stubbornly stay on a dead server are still there... paying and complaining. Where does blizz lose money in this? Now, there are people who have left the game for good but that doesn't count in this scenario because people have quit from perfectly healthy servers for good aswell and it's the overall trend for the game atm to lose players slowly but surely.
    So your argument is basically WoW was always going to die so Blizzard may as well suck players dry?

It wouldn't have been hard to merge a few low population servers so that players had more medium population servers to choose from which would have stopped WoW from bleeding as many subs. Blizz could have merged servers during Wrath or the start of Cata when the cracks started to show when the game was at its peak. They didn't. They made tons of money from faction and server transfers instead.

That's incredibly greedy. But you defend greed right?

If a server is healthy it wont have more people leaving than a dead server with a sub par gaming experience. That much is obvious.
    I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about the people who quit for good and not those who leave to a healthier server.
    I just said that an overwhelming amount of people I was acquainted with, flat out quit instead of Xferring all their characters.
    I can say the same and those people played on a healthy server. Although I can't say for sure how many have came back and transferred or started up from nothing again. Can you?

You cant underestimate how shit WoW is when theres no one to play with.
    I know exactly how it is. After I came back from a long break my once healthy server had became a ghost town.

So your argument is basically WoW was always going to die so Blizzard may as well suck players dry?
    No, but nice strawman.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-04-26 at 02:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that, to blizzard's mindset (despite many millions of former players in western regions), this is the main issue.

Therefore I just want to interject that, if they reach the point where this seems a good way to keep the goose laying a bit faster, I find it almost unimaginable that they won't 'accessibilize' it. Think 3.3.5 tuning as far as classic mobs/instances/questing/sparkles/loottables/etc. goes, if not even more nerfed. The folks who seriously thought they could jump into a real classic engine and expect to max level and down kt in 3 months might get the last laugh despite being clueless, because that is what blizzard has taught them to expect.

Wow is now, with vivendi mostly out, the property of Bobby Kotick more than any one person in the world. Think about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Usually the idea of any sort of classic server, be it Vanilla or TBC needs to answer the "what patch" question.

I think you people who love the pure nostalgia should play the 1.0 version, right? Or whatever was release in Nov 2004 (US) and Feb 20005 (EU). Everything beyond that just watered the purity down and isn't truly Classic.
    in a non-perfect world, I think most folks realize their favorite patch isn't likely to be the one they get (granting the assumption of the server existing).

most likely seems end-state of expansion, e.g. 1.12.1, 2.4.3 etc. pro's and con's on all sides. raids could certainly be gated. events could happen, etc. but basic character/talent/etc. stuff is much more likely to be a single version.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2014-04-26 at 03:53 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

And why do you think it would hurt them the slightest to push out vanilla realms and charge a monthly fee for it? don't give me the "It will cost them thousands to set it up" nonsense because it simply wouldn't.
    Too bad you're wrong. Even hiring five GM's to answer to the vanilla tickets specifically (remember you need to train people to watch over totally different game than the MoP version is) for 24/7 customer support would cost more than 1000 subscribers bring in annually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Wow is now, with vivendi mostly out, the property of Bobby Kotick more than any one person in the world. Think about that.
    Tom Chilton is still the guy in charge of WoW like he was back in 2004 no matter how much you try to paint Bobby Kotick satan. Think about that.

Deleted
    Available on Xbox and Playstation.

Deleted
    They should just offer an own game, full pricing and one little Server and many shop-items. Should give them much money for low resources. They should milk this classic-tbc server crowd to the last drop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post

Tom Chilton is still the guy in charge of WoW like he was back in 2004 no matter how much you try to paint Bobby Kotick satan. Think about that.
    silly fixx. kotick owns the shares. who is boss?

in fixx world i know moral authority and forum righteousness trumps legal ownership. chilton mega macho man, kotick cowed suit-person hiding behind desk. Chilton say 'no more nerf arrrrg'. kotick run scairt, leave his target market behind and vulnerable.

also please dont be 'ignert'. Kotick makes more money from his bad decisions in a week than you and I likely make in a lifetime.

also, please no more silly person anti-money rabble yabble. I admire bobby kotick even if I hate what wow has become. maybe this is too complicated for you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Too bad you're wrong. Even hiring five GM's to answer to the vanilla tickets specifically (remember you need to train people to watch over totally different game than the MoP version is) for 24/7 customer support would cost more than 1000 subscribers bring in annually.
    claim is gm costs blizzard net move than 350k/year? more math pls mr fxx.

Infracted
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-28 at 09:13 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

silly fixx. kotick owns the shares. who is boss?
    You really should take some business 101 class one day before posting more. A good CEO like Kotick knows to keep his hands off the golden goose. A bad CEO like Kotick in your fantasy world who tries to force bad decisions on the golden goose would be kicked out by the board of directors in about three minutes flat. He would retain the shares and have a vote, but since he's not the majority owner he can not dictate anything.

claim is gm costs blizzard net move than 350k/year? more math pls mr fxx.
    1000 people times 12 months times $15 is $180k, and maybe 1/3 or $60k of it net profit. Now how many GMs you are going to hire for that money? Maybe three at best if they come with 20k annual salary but I doubt it.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-04-28 at 07:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like them to be non-existent. That's exactly how I'd like them to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Deleted
    A big question I have is why do so many people not only not want to play a Classic server (which is of course fine by me), but also don't want anyone who does to get to play one? The same people who so often respond to complaints about optional features being added with "If you don't like it don't play it"?

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    A big question I have is why do so many people not only not want to play a Classic server (which is of course fine by me), but also don't want anyone who does to get to play one?
    I wouldn't mind anyone playing one if it doesn't take manpower away from the normal game... but we know that is going to happen.