Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Turn someone in or not.

Have an acquaintance I have known for about 10 years, have not been around him for the last 2-3 years. Saw him about a month back and he has really let him self go, went from being around 300 pounds to maybe 140 and looking ROUGH, been shooting up pills, hoarding cats, stealing to buy drugs (sell you whatever you want from Lowes at 50% off store price), and living with 2 others who are also known to shoot up and steal.

Is it better to call up and try to report them to the police hoping that getting busted might clean them up, or let them keep down the same path?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it anonymously. His chance are better that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Have an acquaintance I have known for about 10 years, have not been around him for the last 2-3 years. Saw him about a month back and he has really let him self go, went from being around 300 pounds to maybe 140 and looking ROUGH, been shooting up pills, hoarding cats, stealing to buy drugs (sell you whatever you want from Lowes at 50% off store price), and living with 2 others who are also known to shoot up and steal.

Is it better to call up and try to report them to the police hoping that getting busted might clean them up, or let them keep down the same path?
    Contact his family first, if all else fails yes.

You don't really sound like you have hard evidence of what this guy is doing..

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Contact his family first, if all else fails yes.
    I dont stay in contact with them, the only one I had many dealings with was on meth talking to god through a driveway reflector, and this was a few years back.

I also don't get how going from 300 pounds to 140 is "letting himself go." Isn't that good?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I dont stay in contact with them, the only one I had many dealings with was on meth talking to god through a driveway reflector, and this was a few years back.
    Then call the cops next time he's there after a buy. They can't arrest someone for having it in their system, depending on the state, but can for possession.

Yeah call the police, get him thrown in jail with all the heroin he wants. That'll really help him get clean. Oh and the criminal record sure is going to help him turn his life around.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I also don't get how going from 300 pounds to 140 is "letting himself go." Isn't that good?
    If you assume that he weighed 300lbs because he was fat instead of because he was built.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Yeah call the police, get him thrown in jail with all the heroin he wants. That'll really help him get clean. Oh and the criminal record sure is going to help him turn his life around.
    pretty much....if you want to actualy HELP him i dont know, maybe talk to him?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Most states have alternates to prison time if the convicted agrees to rehab. Rehab often fails, but it's better than dying on the street from an OD.

don't do anything. drug addiction is a powerful thing. calling the cops is just gunna get him thrown in jail and then when he gets out he's going to resent you and go back to doing the same shit. when he's ready to get his life together then he will but you can't force him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
    pretty much....if you want to actualy HELP him i dont know, maybe talk to him?
    this is the only way you can try to help him. if he doesnt want your help then let it be. he has to come to the realization himself that drugs aren't the answer.
    Last edited by Lessthanzer0; 2014-04-25 at 12:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn him in, clean up the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Turn him in, clean up the streets.
    sorry but thats not how it works. prison is a terrible place for rehabilitation. when he gets out he's gunna go back to where he left off so that would only "clean up the streets" temporarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    I think many people use the word "scale" the same way the smurfs use "smurf".

Quote Originally Posted by marcackermann86 View Post
    don't do anything. drug addiction is a powerful thing. calling the cops is just gunna get him thrown in jail and then when he gets out he's going to resent you and go back to doing the same shit. when he's ready to get his life together then he will but you can't force him to.

this is the only way you can try to help him. if he doesnt want your help then let it be. he has to come to the realization himself that drugs aren't the answer.
    oh trust me i realise that better then most but that doesnt change the fact that alot of people feel the need to do somthing and in that case talking to him is likely the only thing that wont cause more problems down the road unlike calling the police

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcackermann86 View Post
    sorry but thats not how it works. prison is a terrible place for rehabilitation. when he gets out he's gunna go back to where he left off so that would only "clean up the streets" temporarily.
    good, maybe he can go back to prison after he's released.

Deleted
    good, maybe he can go back to prison after he's released.
    I get the feeling you lack compassion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only when it comes to drugged up criminals with no sense of self-discipline.

I personally love drug taking thieves running around my streets.

Deleted
    Only when it comes to drugged up criminals with no sense of self-discipline.
    That's right, we'll save our compassion for those with self-discipline.

A hard heart shatters, but won't bend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I personally love drug taking thieves running around my streets.
    Compassion, and kindness, does not require you to love them in a specific since.