Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help our Fire Mage!

Hey Mage community, we're currently progressing on Heroic 10 Garrosh and it feels to me like our Fire Mage isn't really pulling the numbers he should be doing at our current gear levels. He is baiting weapons so I have that in mind but any tips/criticisms I could bring to his attention would be very helpful!

Here are some logs from the past few nights:
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VcFZDaJWkmhKPt3f
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CgQ17aBp3m8jkWNy
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3DATZbfYy4HqmLdJ

Thanks again guys, Cheers!
    Last edited by Deverick; 2014-04-25 at 01:15 PM.

Not sure why you are busting the fire mages balls when he's crushing all but the 2 rogues (who never leave the boss) on garrosh damage. I would be more concerned about the shadow priest and especially the warlock.

The guy above me raises pretty good points. Your mage isnt the worst, but i found some things regardless. Im at school so i do not have access to my PC but i found a fire mages parse for 10 man on a 9 min kill (your logs i was looking at was an 11 min wipe.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...8&end=13555255

This mage is actually last out of all the dps, but as i said they finish the fight much sooner. The biggest thing that stands out is your mages bomb uptime (64% for the first link). This mage that i found has an 85% uptime, and other mages still would consider that on the low side.

Edit: i just looked some more. Your mages uptime for invoker's energy is 72% for the first link. Compare that with the logs i linked at 96%. Whenever you are doing damage, you should have the invoker's energy buff. This is huge. Just these two things can play a big impact for your mage's output.
    Last edited by Edmerlin; 2014-04-25 at 02:21 PM.

Garrosh is a bit funny with uptimes, not sure if I would expect as high as I normally would. But 65% does seem a bit low.

Deleted
    After checking it briefly I would go with Frost and not bust the mage. His burst all through seems a bit low though and his Combustion damage should probably be a bit higher then what it is ( My eyes might be a bit scewed though since I've played with alot of mastery lately).

What really needs to be improved is the Living Bomb uptime though. That uptime is so bad that even the Pyromaniac will fall off for big periods of the fight. So yea, take a look at the bomb usage and then try and get him to burst a bit more, plus put more effort into getting good combustions off. Less than 60% uptime on Living Bomb is just extremely gimping.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Garrosh is a bit funny with uptimes, not sure if I would expect as high as I normally would. But 65% does seem a bit low.
    His uptime on the other attempts were even lower so he defienetly needs to improve that.

I wonder if he's using LB during the first transition?

Besides LB uptime being a bit low, the mage is doing alright considering he's part of the weapon bait group.

However, Invoker's uptime is also quite low, so that can definitely improve. It looks like he lets it fall off for 20sec during the first transition, 30sec during the second transition, and didn't have invoker's up for the first 5-6 seconds of bloodlust. Since all of these events are known well in advance, he should always have invoker's up. He needs to make sure he refreshes invoker's right before the transitions, even if it means refreshing an invoker's that still has 20sec left on it.

I appreciate all the tips/comments guys, I'm not trying to bust the mage's balls just trying to find somethings out to possibly help him out and push a little bit more damage. Thank you all again, i'll be sure to tell him!

Combustion helper addon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lve2raft View Post
    Combustion helper addon
    I can only speak for myself here, but I imagine if I was trying to bait weapons and getting
    heat from the team then another addon would exacerbate any problems I had even further.

I'm inclined to think his role should be simplified while he focuses on getting his basic rotation
    right, at least for the time being.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I can only speak for myself here, but I imagine if I was trying to bait weapons and getting
    heat from the team then another addon would exacerbate any problems I had even further.

I'm inclined to think his role should be simplified while he focuses on getting his basic rotation
    right, at least for the time being.
    All it does is tell you when you've reached your preset ignite threshold. When you hit it, Combustion. That's all there is to it. Hardly complicated, especially for someone who's made it to Heroic Garrosh.

Deleted
    His living bomb uptime is way too low. It's like anywhere between 10 and 45% lower than my LB uptime on Garrosh, and we stand still and hit nothing during 2nd transition.

Also, on my 9 minute pull I casted 138 fireballs on Garrosh, yet on your 11 minute pull he only casted 98. So he has 40% less fireballs cast on a 20% longer fight. He's having lots of downtime or something.

His combustion damage is also extremely low. His average crits are 60k, against my 82k. And I'm running extremely low amounts of mastery.

So:

- Fix living bomb uptime.
    - Cast more fireballs.
    - Get bigger combustions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post

Also, on my 9 minute pull I casted 138 fireballs on Garrosh, yet on your 11 minute pull he only casted 98. So he has 40% less fireballs cast on a 20% longer fight. He's having lots of downtime or something.

he might have more crits which meant more GCDs on pyros but just pressed combustion at wrong time, but i dunno, havent seen his logs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by johnprescott View Post
    he might have more crits which meant more GCDs on pyros but just pressed combustion at wrong time, but i dunno, havent seen his logs
    He only had a couple more pyroblasts, on a 20% longer pull. Still leaves like 40% less fireballs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrod View Post
    All it does is tell you when you've reached your preset ignite threshold. When you hit it, Combustion. That's all there is to it. Hardly complicated, especially for someone who's made it to Heroic Garrosh.
    Yes I know, I use it. It is more of a psychology thing. Some people do not respond to pressure well.
    Singling him out, even if people believe they are being nice about it (and people's judgement in that
    regard is generally awful), will amplify that pressure.

The problem is that basic rotation is mostly unconscious mind, whereas forcing him to do new things,
    however trivial, means he has to rely on his conscious mind. I'm not sure the gain from optimized
    combustion is worth it post-nerf.

Bear in mind that maximizing uptime is also fairly trivial but he's struggling with it, my guess is for the
    reasons I outlined.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2014-05-01 at 12:33 AM.

Deleted
    My tips would be: Always refresh Living Bomb on Garrosh before the following things happen
    -The Desecrated Weapon is about to spawn so he has to move and bait the weapon. THat way that will constantly be ticking even when he baits.
    -Refresh LB before the Phasing so that he has higher uptime
    He is doing something kind of remarcable. On a 9:52 fight (http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...e=6&type=auras) He casts Invocation 9 times and yet has 65% uptime. That means he has cut alot of Invoker's Energy when over 8 seconds remaining. Invocation should be cast AFTER the buff falls off, but you should never spend a GCD on something when it;s off.
    -On that particular parse he has 47% Living Bomb Uptime on Garrosh. That is not good. If you see his damage uptime on Garrosh is 77%. That means that Living Bomb is not up on the Main Boss for 30% of a Time it could be.
    -His rotation is not that good on the pull. He casts alot of Scortches on the pull and that's lost dps.

I can also analyze his snapshotting if you want me to, but that is going to take some more time. If you want you can have him PM me for some more personal tips so he doesn't feel as if he is being spanked by his raidleader

If he is in the bait group, tell him to run the double blink glyph, if he isn't already. Blink out-Blink in. Should help uptime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    If he is in the bait group, tell him to run the double blink glyph, if he isn't already. Blink out-Blink in. Should help uptime.
    that won't help him put up higher numbers. it's wasting too many GCDs. just maintain the rotation with scorch and instants imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Disagree. Only blink if it's absolutely neccesary to be in time for the weapon out, or mindcontrol back in. Else use scorch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Living Bomb and Pyro uptime is pretty low and only had Invocation uptime of 79%