Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Monk terribly boring?

So I hit 90 few days ago, but on the last 15 levels monk started to get boring for me... like for the windwalker there are like 4 skills to spam in PVE. Didn't tried yet mistweaver but still for a DPS spec monk seems very boring to me.

Anyone else had similiar problem? I'm new to Panda (last played at the Cataclysm begining), and I have no idea if every class feels the same or just the monk doesn't fit me / my playestyle

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you. I find WW Monks to be the most boring spec in PvE. In PvP it's more fun though, but still kinda meh.

I find that because none of the secondary stats for WW Monks are fun, it's also boring in PvE. During bloodlust you basically cap your energy regen it seems. But what does it do? You get to spam more Jabs, which on itself is really boring. After that you get to spam blackout kicks :/

Deleted
    Aye, i liked leveling up as a Monk but started getting bored of it towards the end. Really boring at 90 which sucks because I like the idea of the class.

Almost any spec can be boiled down to 3 or 4 buttons that you press if all you're interested in is killing quest mobs. Sure, you Jab, keep TP up, RSK on CD, and dump chi with Blackout Kick. If you think that's it to the spec though, you really don't understand what it means to try to do the most damage possible. Tigereye Brew alone is the single hardest to master "cooldown" in the game. The resource game Windwalkers have going with energy, chi, and Chi Brew/Energizing Brew to manage them is deeper than any other spec's resource system except maybe Warlocks.

Any spec could be boring if you don't want to look past the fact that Rogues spam Sinister Strike and Evis, Ele Shamans spam Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst off cooldown, and Ret Paladins literally just press every button that lights up. If you just look at the buttons that go on 1-5 on your action bar, WoW is a terribly boring game in general. Thankfully, each class has multiple passives and 20-30 other buttons to press to make them interesting.

Yea it's like spamming Jab and Blackout Kicks all the time. Expecially I don't like the idea for Tigereye Brew where I must check on the bar how many stacks I have until I use it.

Man it took me 15 days (not played) to hit 90, looks like I need to reroll a rogue or DK ; /

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Almost any spec can be boiled down to 3 or 4 buttons that you press if all you're interested in is killing quest mobs. Sure, you Jab, keep TP up, RSK on CD, and dump chi with Blackout Kick. If you think that's it to the spec though, you really don't understand what it means to try to do the most damage possible. Tigereye Brew alone is the single hardest to master "cooldown" in the game. The resource game Windwalkers have going with energy, chi, and Chi Brew/Energizing Brew to manage them is deeper than any other spec's resource system except maybe Warlocks.

Any spec could be boring if you don't want to look past the fact that Rogues spam Sinister Strike and Evis, Ele Shamans spam Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst off cooldown, and Ret Paladins literally just press every button that lights up. If you just look at the buttons that go on 1-5 on your action bar, WoW is a terribly boring game in general. Thankfully, each class has multiple passives and 20-30 other buttons to press to make them interesting.
    My problem lays with the fact that monks have no fun abilities to see or use. What I mean by this is for example enhancement shamans have windfury, ele blast/unleash weapon. Ele shamans have LvB, mages have icicles/dots, ret paladins have their own mastery.

WW monk just feels bland and maybe -too- straight forward.

You've obviously never seen the whirling tornado of death a WW becomes with double SEF and RJW spam. I think RJW alone is one of the more fun abilities in the game, it's an AoE you actually manage instead of channeling or spamming one button over and over.

Deleted
    Mistweaver here, I personally think that monks are superfun to play. Leveled up one just for fun and PvP purposes (the best way to learn the class is actually to play it), but couldn't stop playing after reaching lvl 90. But I think they could've done a better job with Windwalkers (not saying they are boring, just not as fun as two other specs).

Every class is boring at the end of leveling when you don't get something new.. imo WW monk is one of the most fast paced melee. You must realize that energy classes get funner the more haste you get etc.. the stuff these people are listing as being fun abilities are just the one unique thing that each class has. If you don't think Storm, Earth, and Fire is a fun spell, then yeah you should go play something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't find the class to be boring at all.

Try BrM and you might be panicking

Storm Earth and Fire (for me) is a hard spell as a newcommer. I need to target 2 different mobs - use the spell on them - and then target the main target im going to attack to get the 100% benefit from spell... and where are like 10 mobs I have no clue which close is attacking which mob. Any tips? I would be greatful

Thanks everyone for feedback. Im gonna try mistweaver, maybe I'll change my mind after playing a dif spec

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like my windwalker. The mobility alone is tons of fun for soloing older content and the SEF tornado kick combo is devastating on low level trash. Need to heal real quick? Toss some chi fireworks into the air and get the party started. No he isn't geared enough to be topping any charts in the raids but he has a version of flight form (glyphed), a quick sprint for jumping from node to node for farming, etc..., and the dragon kick helps cover even more ground. Sick of hanging out in Azeroth and Outland? No problem you get a port to Pandaria. Wanna touch somebody to death? Go for it baby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah the top of the DPS charts I was in SoO on Protectors. SEF with RJW was the single most fun fight for me. Trying to keep clones up on correct targets, cancelling then reapplying, managing RJW with Procs and energy regen to not become energy starved, good fun. Monk overall if a straight forward class. What comes into play s how well you manage your resources and when and where you use your abilities, in WoD I do hope for a bit more active approach but either way I enjoy my monk for its mobility and fun PvP style play

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    My problem lays with the fact that monks have no fun abilities to see or use. What I mean by this is for example enhancement shamans have windfury, ele blast/unleash weapon. Ele shamans have LvB, mages have icicles/dots, ret paladins have their own mastery.

WW monk just feels bland and maybe -too- straight forward.
    Almost half the stuff you listed are passives... what is your idea of fun?

WW would be more fun if FoF was actually something you could use somewhat often.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    WW would be more fun if FoF was actually something you could use somewhat often.
    Good news, everyone! The alpha for Warlords of Draenor started some time ago and we do in fact know that Fists of Fury is receiving several changes (doing more damage, always doing full damage to the primary target, and getting a glyph that trades the stun for movement while channeling) that make it a worthy "press on cooldown" large-hitting button.

I like to play my monk from time to time, doing lfr and some timeless Isle.

One thing I love is how you can jump just as you black out kick or rising sun kick to make it look super cool. Feels like a real martial arts class.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Good news, everyone! The alpha for Warlords of Draenor started some time ago and we do in fact know that Fists of Fury is receiving several changes (doing more damage, always doing full damage to the primary target, and getting a glyph that trades the stun for movement while channeling) that make it a worthy "press on cooldown" large-hitting button.
    Yeah, too bad it's gunna not matter since I'm rerolling shaman for WoD. At least my monk will be a fun alt then.

That and it doesn't make it fun right now, which is what matters right now anyway.
    Last edited by britishbubba; 2014-04-25 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalanced View Post
    Almost half the stuff you listed are passives... what is your idea of fun?
    Exactly what you just mentioned. I enjoy the somewhat passive stuff. Specifically stuff like icicles ans the ret mastery. WW Monks in that fashion are too bland and too straight forward. Keep TP up, use RSK on CD, use blackout kick, spam jab. In between use chi wave before blackout kick. That's all.