Thread: What is Love?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What is Love?

Is there a concrete definition, or is the term in itself subjective?

If it is subjective, what is your definition?

Cheese. Nothing but Cheese.

I am not a smart man.

But I know what love is.

Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Oh, baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Oh, baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Damn it I was about to post that.

Love is the desire to fulfill the happiness of another at the expense of yourself.

Love is what you miss when its been gone for years and decades..but atleast you finally realized it even if the recipienct is long gone from your life.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    not one baby don't hurt me?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Oh, baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    You win the thread.

When you care about another person's wellbeing and happiness more than your own.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Objectively it can be described as the opposite of perversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    When you care about another person's wellbeing and happiness more than your own.
    What if I love myself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Is there a concrete definition, or is the term in itself subjective?

If it is subjective, what is your definition?
    But what kind? I mean, there's the kind where you care about others, and then there's the kind were you have such feeling for someone you want to climb into their flesh and live there.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Cheese. Nothing but Cheese.
    *looks to the right* I have a container of spreadable love. How wrong does that sound. This must also be a very happy box of crackers.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you love someone, you will make sacrifices to benefit them. I suppose it's a visceral, emotional version of trust.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Latter Ozo is very powerful. The former is not as potent. IMO anyways.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What if I love myself?
    Well one problem with English is that we have one word love that can mean many different things.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    But what kind? I mean, there's the kind where you care about others, and then there's the kind were you have such feeling for someone you want to climb into their flesh and live there.

*looks to the right* I have a container of spreadable love. How wrong does that sound. This must also be a very happy box of crackers.
    Those two types are related. You could wanna crawl up in a spooning position for the rest of your life with someone, but you can also care about their well-being.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally i'd say it's a mental disorder since it affects your behavior so deeply...

Quote Originally Posted by silloh View Post
    Personally i'd say it's a mental disorder since it affects your behavior so deeply...
    That is like calling hunger a mental disorder.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Spider Man View Post
    I am not a smart man.

But I know what love is.
    Lol.

But on topic, in olden days, the definition of Love was considered more a set of actions than just pure emotion. I know I've been married for 11 years now, and I would be lying if I said I have Loved my wife that entire time. There were times she has really really pissed me off. However, we always do our best to work through things. We never go to sleep if there is something wrong, we work it out before going to bed, and I love my wife more today than I did 11 years ago.

The thing for me is, even if I don't feel the emotion of Love, I do my best to fulfill a certain set of actions that I believe encompasses love. They are:

Being patient, kind, considerate, I don't do the "I told you so" if I'm right and she is wrong, I celebrate with her in good times, grieve with her in bad, I always keep my mind positive when it comes to us and make big plans for the future. I don't put conditions on my love for her, as in, "I will stop loving you when 'x' happens" or "I will only love you if you ______."

Of course there are lots more actions, but they all revolve around the ideals I listed.

I know there are many so called definitions, but I like the idea that Love isn't just an emotion, but devotion and commitment. I'm not perfect, neither is she and we accept each other like we are.
    Last edited by select20; 2014-04-25 at 10:16 PM.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_basis_of_love I guess.

The conventional view in biology is that there are two major drives in love — sexual attraction and attachment.[12] Attachment between adults is presumed to work on the same principles that lead an infant to become attached to his or her mother or father– or both.
    The chemicals triggered that are responsible for passionate love and long-term attachment love seem to be more particular to the activities in which both persons participate rather than to the nature of the specific people involved.[12]
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance