Thread: What is Love?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love is a chemical mix of carbon-based molecules interacting with other carbon based molecules.

Putin khuliyo

The opposite of what you feel when you die for the 20th time to the pursuer in Dark Souls 2.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Lol.

But on topic, in olden days, the definition of Love was considered more a set of actions than just pure emotion. I know I've been married for 11 years now, and I would be lying if I said I have Loved my wife that entire time. There were times she has really really pissed me off. However, we always do our best to work through things. We never go to sleep if there is something wrong, we work it out before going to bed, and I love my wife more today than I did 11 years ago.

The thing for me is, even if I don't feel the emotion of Love, I do my best to fulfill a certain set of actions that I believe encompasses love. They are:

Being patient, kind, considerate, I don't do the "I told you so" if I'm right and she is wrong, I celebrate with her in good times, grieve with her in bad, I always keep my mind positive when it comes to us and make big plans for the future. I don't put conditions on my love for her, as in, "I will stop loving you when 'x' happens" or "I will only love you if you ______."

Of course there are lots more actions, but they all revolve around the ideals I listed.

I know there are many so called definitions, but I like the idea that Love isn't just an emotion, but devotion and commitment. I'm not perfect, neither is she and we accept each other like we are.
    Good post.

4 years married last February.

From my perspective love is a volitional choice, made without coercion and in affection, to care for the needs, wants and desires of a another, regardless of personal expense, always for the betterment of that person.

I think though that we as English speakers should look towards trying to find a new word to use for love in an interpersonal sense.

Almost something wrong in saying that "I love my wife." and using the same word to say "I love Asahi Kuronoma Black Ale." or "I love chili dogs." Seems like there is something wrong there.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Damn it I was about to post that.

Love is the desire to fulfill the happiness of another at the expense of yourself.
    Good answer. And it is for sure a part of that. However it is more than that. Love is not something you can answer with a short worded statement. It is having a desire also to be around someone, to experience things with them. To miss them more than you would most things when you are separated from them. It is a feeling you have for someone or even a thing, which can not be satisfied with anything other than the subject. I guess one could add even more to the subject. But yeah, as far as a feeling for another person or country, it is a feeling which is best said as the knowledge you would give your own life to save theirs if you had to and could do it. So the sacrificial part of your statement is for sure one of the fundamental parts of love.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post

Almost something wrong in saying that "I love my wife." and using the same word to say "I love Asahi Kuronoma Black Ale." or "I love chili dogs." Seems like there is something wrong there.
    I think there are different types of love. The love I have for my wife is more then the love I have for my kids for example. Also wanted to point out that "trust" is also a important part of a loving relationship and can be affected by our commitment to another person by our actions which can in turn....affect that love.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Pfft.The Attachment part I would buy. But you can be sexually attracted to a person and love not have damn thing to do with it. I guess one could say they would love to go to bed with that person. But is it love or lust? More than likely the latter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Good post.

4 years married last February.

From my perspective love is a volitional choice, made without coercion and in affection, to care for the needs, wants and desires of a another, regardless of personal expense, always for the betterment of that person.

I think though that we as English speakers should look towards trying to find a new word to use for love in an interpersonal sense.

All true. I agree about wishing we had another word for Love. It gets thrown around so much it causes more confusion that anything.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Cheese. Nothing but Cheese.
    Does cottage cheese count? Because that with fresh berries and crushed nuts..... :3

OT: What kind of love? Diffrent kinds of love. And I'm not sure i believe in "love" (o_o)
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

attachment that's pretty much it

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Pfft.The Attachment part I would buy. But you can be sexually attracted to a person and love not have damn thing to do with it. I guess one could say they would love to go to bed with that person. But is it love or lust? More than likely the latter.
    It requires both, as outlined by the quote I snipped.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Oh, baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    I am so incredibly disappointed this wasn't the 1st reply.

I had something good to say here. clean forgot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this is, ultimately, a video game forum,
    "Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Love is that thing Death wing describes in the Cata intro cinematic

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Oh, baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    100x times this. Internet has damaged me...

I don't think you can define love. You can love certain songs *cough*, long walks on the beach, yourself, animals, things, others... it's subjective, but that's the closest you can get to define love.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Love is that thing Death wing describes in the Cata intro cinematic
    Well I don't know if that's love but love often causes it.

More trouble than it's worth, most of the time.

Deleted
    baby don't hurrr..

no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Love is a chemical mix of carbon-based molecules interacting with other carbon based molecules.

Carbon-based molecules? Thank you for being so specific!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    http://www.answers.com/topic/love

Looks like you can define love.
    Of course there are definitions, but you still can't define it exactly for everyone. Subjective, as I said.

This is a rather philosophical question...

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's only as philosophical as arguing over the definition of any other random word. The fact of the matter is even if we don't know for sure right now, eventually the sum of all chemical and physical processes that are "love" will be known.
    Well, there are different ways of loving, and until humankind figures it out completely, I will be dead a thousand times over :3

A lie...a mistake...I don't know...a chemical inside the brain?

Basically

its pain, joy, sadness, happiness, anger all rolled into one big thing that ends up being overly complicated/ short lived, or non-existent
    Right...wrong...The universe doesn't care
    Driefal,Etrith(Retired)

thanks to this thread, all i can think abo- What is love? Baby don't hurt me...