Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I think the problem stems from the fact that a lot of you just don't play M/K enough with most of your games.

It took me a less than a hour in each DS 1&2 to get use to M/K. Sure it's annoying that their aren't PC key visuals instead of the XBox ones, but the only one needed to convert is your Dual-Wield.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    I don't really agree with that tbh. Some games just don't work well at all with keyboard and mouse, mostly platformers, beat-em up and action RPGs with detailed combat mechanics (blocking, combos, different types of basic attacks, etc.) And I really don't see the benefit of making those games compatible with a keyboard and mouse, because no matter how hard you'll try to make it work on a keyboard and mouse, it just won't control well.

From the top of my head there are 3 games that were absolutely horrible to play on keyboard and mouse for me: Spelunky, Batman: Arkham Origins and Dark Souls. No matter how I configured my settings the controls would suck and were too complicated at times to even remember or get used to. With an xbox controller however these games were super-smooth and were very easy to control and reactive.

In those cases I believe that the devs would've done themselves a favour by not making them usable with a mouse and keyboard and just put on the box it requires a controller, because I'm absolutely positive that a lot of people bought those kinda games, tried it with mouse and keyboard and then wrote them off as bad games because they were too horrible to control.
    You pretty much said it all, Apart from the button prompt they actually did a good job at trying to make it playable with mouse+keyboard. The original game demon souls was designed with only a controller in mind, which is why the game combat works so well with one. And since the combat stayed mostly the same, it's no surprise that the same goes for the 2 games that did come to pc. It is quite possible to play with keyboard and mouse in dark souls 2, but it will never be able to match a controller, not because the port is poor, but because of the way the core mechanics of the game are designed.

Dark souls 2 is superior in every way on a good pc vs. console. Some games are designed to be played with a controller, which every review I read or watched emphasized for DS2.

Peasantness has infected this thread and it's hurting my brain.
    Burn it with holy fire and close it now.

Also never trust a Japanese developer to deliver a good PC port. It doesn't happen often, they just don't give a shit.

At least From Software got DS2 on Steam and made the port playable, that's a start.

You should have a controller anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    You should have a controller anyway
    This. All PC gamers should have a controller. A lot of games just play better with them and sometimes we get bad ports that have terrible KB/M controls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    LOL if you claim Super Meat Boy is playable on a keyboard, then even Dark Souls 1 is playable, let alone 2. Your argument is done.

Why should From Software waste time changing the icons to match kb when they have a damn button mapping system that lets you map your own controls, so you should know what the hell you bound what to?

Your argument is bunk as hell.

DS1 was a bad port because it was locked at 30 fps, locked at 720p had no graphics options at all. All of that was fixed in DS2. Not because of lack of kb/m support. If you want to play action oriented games with precision buy a controller, otherwise find a keybinding system that works for you and feel free to suffer.
    SMB have a lot better kb controls than any of these games, you claiming otherwise is just you not being used to playing the game with one. Its really a matter of preference when it comes to that game. It really is not that bad with a mechanical keyboard that have anti ghosting technology.

I am not interested in discussing this with someone who wants to defend developers not doing their jobs properly anyhow, so il just leave it at that.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-04-29 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I am not interested in discussing this with someone who wants to defend developers not doing their jobs properly anyhow, so il just leave it at that.
    If everyone had the same opinion, what would the discussion be about? It is bad to defend the developers? Sure, they could have done a better port. But once again: money rules the world. Developers do, what they are told to do and paid for. Had you preferred a good port with oveall worse graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    action RPGs with detailed combat mechanics (blocking, combos, different types of basic attacks, etc.)
    That would actualy work better on keyboard+mouse, thanks to many more possible intupts. Its just that no one bothers.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    SMB have a lot better kb controls than any of these games, you claiming otherwise is just you not being used to playing the game with one. Its really a matter of preference when it comes to that game. It really is not that bad with a mechanical keyboard that have anti ghosting technology.

And Dark Souls really is not that bad with a controller that has run of the mill regular technology from target for 30 bucks. But I am not interested in discussing this with someone who is too busy nitpicking about a singular action button map ruining his life, when the graphics and gameplay are on point.

oh...oops. should've been less condescending but I was busy copying your post.