Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Star Wars Expanded Universe (including games) no longer canon

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/26/st...-longer-canon/

I know im going to be in the minority here but fuck the movies compared to the books storyline there is so much more depth, and i wont go into what a fucking pile of shit that clone wars cartoon was. Bad move on disneys part alienating 20 years of laid down storyline. Maby not ALL the eu books were good but there were an amazing amount of great storyarcs including Bane, X-wing, Thrawn 1 & 2, Black fleet crisis, NJO, Legacy of the force, Republic commando ect. Disney just shit on all those authors and the 20+ years of legacy printed on page.

well, that's it. i'm done with star wars now. fuck disney, seriously. goddamned motherfuckers.

15+ Year Old Account
    it never was canon to begin with.

Deleted
    I mean, did nobody see this coming? That was all head cannon unless Lucas (or now Disney) said "yeah no, that's what happens".

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    Well now with the new movie disney will be able to trot what ever the fuck they please on camera, Chebacca still alive, Anakin still alive, The vong invasion never happened. Sorry but the books have far more story than the movies ever will and ill always place them above the shit that disney is putting out and what has been put out on screen.

What is considered EU?

Everything but the movies? is the Clone wars, Swtor and all that Canon?

And I'm sure it's for safety measures, incase they ever need to change/retcon.... kinda like Chris Metzen saying the RPG books aren't necessary canon, incase he wants to change something down the road.

Maybe if fans of the EU hadn't been bitching about the prospect their pet stories being omitted or overwritten because of the new movies, the studio might not have even bothered. But since they have said this, my only response to those who might make a big deal out of it is:

Never understood why people couldn't just enjoy the stories they liked without worrying about what's canon or not. Let the people make the movies they want to make or write the stories they want to tell.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Well now with the new movie disney will be able to trot what ever the fuck they please on camera, Chebacca still alive, Anakin still alive, The vong invasion never happened. Sorry but the books have far more story than the movies ever will and ill always place them above the shit that disney is putting out and what has been put out on screen.
    look, i completely agree, i loved the NJO books, but your title is completely innacurate. the Books and Games were NEVER Canon. Canon was the 6 movies. nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    according to geaorge lucas it was until recently.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    What is considered EU?

Everything but the movies? is the Clone wars, Swtor and all that Canon?

And I'm sure it's for safety measures, incase they ever need to change/retcon.... kinda like Chris Metzen saying the RPG books aren't necessary canon, incase he wants to change something down the road.
    Only the movies and the trash clone wars cartoon is cannon. Everything else never happened according to disney.

- - - Updated - - -

look, i completely agree, i loved the NJO books, but your title is completely innacurate. the Books and Games were NEVER Canon. Canon was the 6 movies. nothing else.
    Its the title of the article i just copied

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    Only some parts were. Not everything because there was a lot of conflict between books/authors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    false. the only thing that was Canon in star wars was the original and prequel trilogy. the rest was expanded universe, it essentially took place in a parralel star wars universe.

This. If it didn't shart out of George Lucas, it ain't canon. Everyone knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Maybe if fans of the EU hadn't been bitching about the prospect their pet stories being omitted or overwritten because of the new movies, the studio might not have even bothered. But since they have said this, my only response to those who might make a big deal out of it is:

Never understood why people couldn't just enjoy the stories they liked without worrying about what's canon or not. Let the people make the movies they want to make or write the stories they want to tell.
    Would it have been so hard to turn those stories into movies? I mean what a fucking amazing trilogy thrawn would have made, NJO could have been a BSG esc tv series, same with X-wing and countless others. Now disney is just going to try and appeal to the hipster poser starwars fans who clan ultimate fandom but have only seen the 6 movies and they denounce ep 1-3.

10+ Year Old Account
    false. the only thing that was Canon in star wars was the original and prequel trilogy. the rest was expanded universe, it essentially took place in a parralel star wars universe.
    Which is fine IMO
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People write in the EU, argue about what's cannon, and expect Disney to just lie on their back and be shoe-horned in to making movies based on those sketchy writings?

Yeah, no, I'm glad Disney put an end to this whole mess and are hitting the reset button otherwise whatever they made that would be considered 'new' would have to be so radical that not even the EU folks would think about.

Yoda comes from the planet Melmac? You don't say...
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Would it have been so hard to turn those stories into movies? I mean what a fucking amazing trilogy thrawn would have made, NJO could have been a BSG esc tv series, same with X-wing and countless others. Now disney is just going to try and appeal to the hipster poser starwars fans who clan ultimate fandom but have only seen the 6 movies and they denounce ep 1-3.
    Welcome to every adaptation of every long-running fictional universe ever. Don't know why you think Star Wars is so special in that regard.

And just shut up with the Disney nonsense. Doesn't matter whose name they slap on the movie or which pretty animated logo they show before it starts. Hell, someone with a better memory than mine may correct me, but I don't remember seeing the Disney castle before CA:Winter Soldier, and even if it was there, that movie was plenty bad-ass and entertaining.

Only the movies and the trash clone wars cartoon is cannon. Everything else never happened according to disney.

- - - Updated - - -

Its the title of the article i just copied
    Ahhh shit. I actually like the Old republic lore

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Welcome to every adaptation of every long-running fictional universe ever. Don't know why you think Star Wars is so special in that regard.

And just shut up with the Disney nonsense. Doesn't matter whose name they slap on the movie or which pretty animated logo they show before it starts. Hell, someone with a better memory than mine may correct me, but I don't remember seeing the Disney castle before CA:Winter Soldier, and even if it was there, that movie was plenty bad-ass and entertaining.
    You wanna know where the disney logo was on the new CA movie? It was the PG-13 logo. Samuel L jackson without saying FUCK is crime all on its own. Could have been great deal more bloody and more colorfull language.

Well, that's bit disappointing.