Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    "You know, he was playing that long, strange instrument they use in Australia"
    Our Belgian friend: "Oh, the bazooka?"
    Last edited by Litoru; 2014-07-14 at 05:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my friends from Brazil told me a story once when we studied English in Canada. He went to a bar, started talking to an attractive girl, she asked him about what he was doing in Canada, and he said, "I'm gonna fill you up right now honey" (he meant "fill in")...

Deleted
    I was doing military service in Afghanistan last year.
    One day on the shooting range, we met an officer from the german armed forces, and he told me, after telling us we were using their time slot:

"Okey, first you shoot, then we shoot ourselves"
    My CO heard it, laughed really hard and wished them good luck and informed them that we did actually have a MEDIVAC on stand by.

He did not get it..

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a colleague of mine from Lithuania, (Note, I'm from Norway, so my English is shit too), and he and the truck driver had a conversation about ''emptying my load here'' or ''I have to give you a full load''. It's perverted humor, but I almost fell over laughing. They kept at it for way too long.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    When people say Irregardless, It is not even a real word!

Maybe at one time it wasn't, but it seems to be now.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

My question is why do people think language must be static? What is so wrong with making up new words?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Maybe at one time it wasn't, but it seems to be now.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

My question is why do people think language must be static? What is so wrong with making up new words?
    Because it contradicts itself, like when people say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less".

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And why would that be hard to say?
    Never had a problem with it whatsoever...
    Yet how about you try saying the German word for it... Eichhörnchen

When I was in Berlin for three months we would have fun with the squirrel /Eichhörnchen thing. Apparently, I am bad at the German "L" I swear I am saying welle(n), but they hear wäre(n) >.<

My favorite thing was to hear Germans always saying YOU MUST!!! YOU MUST DRINK!! YOU MUST PAY!! YOU MUST WAIT HERE!! I mean it's incredibly angry/rude to say 'you must' in English.. well Southern US anyways, but Müssen Sie (You must) is proper in German, so just them literally translating.

I also can say sicherheit perfectly, but apparently not gesicht. Bawhahahaw.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Because it contradicts itself, like when people say "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less".

http://www.translationdirectory.com/...lossary107.htm

Seems there are many such words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in school, we had an exchange student that came over for a group study and the first thing he says is "I told you have good poossy, you show?" and I was like "I do and no, i no show" and didn't realize he meant "pussy cat" until she hopped up on the table and he overzealously said "SHE SHOW HERSELF! Oh sweet pooooossy"

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of days ago I was watching some tv show from Aus where they were showing outtakes.
    One of the presenters names is Miguel, and he's Spanish I believe.
    So they present random objects, and one of them is called 'Calm in a Can'. Well due to the Spanish accent, he called it 'cum in a can' multiple times, and the other presenters burst into laughing.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Jaja" is this like the Brazillian way of saying "Haha"?

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my previous guildies...whenever he trys to say "taunt the boss." the way he says it so funny because it sounds like "Townt the boss"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    One of my friends from Brazil told me a story once when we studied English in Canada. He went to a bar, started talking to an attractive girl, she asked him about what he was doing in Canada, and he said, "I'm gonna fill you up right now honey" (he meant "fill in")...
    bwahhahaha what was her reaction!

spanish people pronounce the letter Y as as J

gave me the giggles to hear people say "Jew are nice" instead of "You are nice"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    Back in school, we had an exchange student that came over for a group study and the first thing he says is "I told you have good poossy, you show?" and I was like "I do and no, i no show" and didn't realize he meant "pussy cat" until she hopped up on the table and he overzealously said "SHE SHOW HERSELF! Oh sweet pooooossy"
    how rude of you

you should have shown him your pussy