View Poll Results: Will you buy WoD if there is no flying throughout the entire expansion?

Voters
451. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am currently playing and will play WoD if no flying

268 59.42%
  • I am not currently playing and will come back to play WoD if no flying

118 26.16%
  • I am currently playing and will not play WoD if no flying

31 6.87%
  • I am not currently playing and will not play WoD if no flying

34 7.54%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    I have already pre-ordered WoD, and I am okay with no flying. I'd probably be fine without it through the whole expansion. However, it depends on a lot of things, such as how the zones are designed, flight paths, where quest hubs and raids are in relation to capital cities etc. It sounds like Blizzard are designing Draenor with these things in mind, so I have faith that players won't actually miss flying as much as they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They're not removing the efficiency of travel, they want to alter how people can approach content. Rather than making content more interesting and challenging, they remove a feature.
    Right on the first bit, wrong on the second. Content was already interesting and challenging, flying simply enabled a player to overcome those things. There was a great example in the blue post; if you're trying to get into a fort and kill an NPC without flying, you choose the safest path, carefully take out any mobs that might cause trouble, be careful not to pull anything you don't want, maybe stealth here and there and make your way in. That's a lot more interesting and challenging than just landing at your destination, killing the mob and flying away. You actually have to think about how you approach it.

To me that's definitely a welcome change, and it's something I enjoyed about the Isle of Thunder. The place felt dangerous because you couldn't just fly away from things, or drop down only where you needed to. I will say though that I missed flying on the Timeless Isle. Some of the mobs on that island are a pain in the ass and not fun to deal with.

I don't really see the point of these kinds of threads. If you're not playing WoW now and have no intention of returning, or are dead set on quitting just because of a change like that, why are you even on these boards? This is a WoW fan site. Its meant for people who actually enjoy the game. I can sort of understand if you are looking at the other few sections of the forums that talk about other games, but this is the WoW section. Why read it if you are not playing the game or intend to quit. Just quit and be done with it.

Am I upset about the possibility of not being able to fly? That's a question I can answer. Yes, I hate the fact that I spent so much gold on various flying skills and mounts and they might be useless for the majority of an expansion. Crafting and professions were always one of my favorite parts of the game, while doing the farming for said skills was one of the worst. I trained my first 2 epic flying chars because they were my farmers. I hate trying to farm for mats on the ground and that's what they're considering forcing upon me again. I'm already upset about how weak and useless real crafting has become. But that's not likely to make me unsubscribe. If it was, I wouldn't be reading this to post as I would have moved on with my life instead of hanging around a WoW-centric forum complaining about it.

Do I believe that they will actually go through with an entire expansion without enabling flying? Likely not. Though it would improve things in respect to world PVP, the very idea that they somehow intend to force us to quest at max level after having the entire game revolve around raiding and dailies for 3 expansions is ludicrous. I would love to go back to the days where they actually did things like add real 5 man content each patch,there were reasons to actually leave town at max level, CC was important in groups of all sizes and gear was not the measure of everything...but it simply is not likely to happen. The populace love to see their numbers get bigger and don't enjoy the drawn out dungeons and such that were prevalent in the past.

My prediction: we'll get our flying at some point and people will complain about it until it happens, then new people will complain then.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Seeing as you could not fly until you reached level 70 by which time the need for questing was over how exactly did flying ruin questing? Also TBC had many areas that could only be reached through flying so how was exploration ruined?
    Quests are always there, even at max level. So are daily quests. Flying to and from waypoints, passing all forms of context (yes, conteXt) between, gets boring. A major reason questing right now is so boring.

And exploration? It's the exact same thing. Flying from POI to POI takes away from the context of the world. It takes away from the feeling of discovering something new when you can see everything in a couple hours while completely safe.

And when the game is pretty competitive and when you CAN get rewards quick, there's not really a choice to "just use a ground mount".

All the pro-fliers understand how flying negatively impacts the game, most are just throwing tantrums and/or trolling. It would be great if they chose options 3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    That is the biggest take-away from Bashiok's post. There's some fundamental problem when a player is so upset by trash mobs or being attacked by a passing mob.

Blizzard sees this attitude is a problem. And now they're willing to risk subscriptions to fix it for the sake of the game.

I'm also of the view that these efficiency crazed pro-fliers are also some of WoW's most addicted, escapist players. They play the game as a reward machine not as an enjoyable social RPG experience.

Like any addict, it will be hard to satisfy them quickly. It can't be done with some forum post. It will takes months for these players to acclimate to slower, harder to earn psychological rewards.

Not all pro-fliers are this way of course, but many are. Some really do just like flying around and doing loop-de-loops. The old world will still be perfect for them however.
    It definitely will take time and not be an easy process, I think the devs will need the player base more than ever to make more compelling content. For the addicts, i hate to call it a detox, but you gotta cold turkey this habbit. And i miss my fun flights too, i still remember when someone posted the pitch limit command so players could fly upside down with just their mouse, good times. But like some people point out, thats just looking at it through rose tinted glasses or whatever the stupid saying is, it's a problem now, if there was a way to fix it without removing it, we would have it by now.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

Has been said before, poll results speak for themselves. All the complaining is just Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), whatever you prefer. Dunno why it matters if you are currently playing or not though...

In any case, even the moaners will buy WoD anyway. If you don't, that means you have two options:
    Keep playing and be stuck in old content, or quit playing altogether.

Your loss either way.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I bought TBC, WotLK and MoP without flying. And that is all we know for sure: We level without flying in WoD at first.

AFAIK, flying is still possible in Azeroth, Outland, Northrend, Pandaria. And it is not like people made angry threads about no flying in IoT and TI

Quote Originally Posted by giovannileanza View Post
    Has been said before, poll results speak for themselves. .
    ..and what does a poll of 425 ppl atm on a fan forum represent anyhow?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

looking beyond reality; LA; Complainerville
    Yes, I will be playing WoD, even if it doesn't have flying.

And for those who won't be playing WoD because it doesn't have flying, might I suggest a game for you? Will Aion be sufficient?

I don't know why the kerfuffle over flying is still being talked about - flying is a part of World of Warcraft, not the main feature(s). Just enjoy the ride while its in progress.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Gandhi

We could live life without understanding the full scope and magnitude of the consequences of our actions - and that's the beauty of it. It is up to us to take responsibility for our actions, and to do what is best, that is completely within the course of our actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxley View Post
    If its actually no flying.. I'll buy it twice.
    I feel the same. Flying really damaged the game.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

I've already bought it. Now I may or may not keep playing depending on how easy it is to travel from one end to another. If it ends up be a 10 min flight, that I have to do every raid night, then I may stop playing. I have to try it first. (Gathering will also be a big deal breaker for me). Things I will miss without having flying are the changes in terrain, can't really have all the little spires in Jade Forest, nor the islands in Townlong Steppes, that have some neat things hiding on them without flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxley View Post
    If its actually no flying.. I'll buy it twice.
    I wouldn't throw my money away so quickly, but yeah, I'd be as delighted as that if No Flying in Draenor happened for the entire expansion.
    Disclaimer: The majority of my posts might be dripping in sarcasm. Don't take everything I say literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazienne View Post
    I don't really see the point of these kinds of threads. If you're not playing WoW now and have no intention of returning, or are dead set on quitting just because of a change like that, why are you even on these boards? This is a WoW fan site. Its meant for people who actually enjoy the game.
    There's a problem with this thinking - you assume disagreement of not-flying also means people don't-enjoy the game. To them, not-flying is a bad aspect of the game and they're voicing their opinion. Personally, I think flying was a net negative and should never have happened; that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the game in spite of that.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    In what way?

Didn't it actually peak, and 2 of the most beloved expansions came out, with flying in the game?

I've been playing for 6 years and I haven't had anything ruined by flying. Not a single thing. Mind you, I don't gank people...but that's pretty much all. How did flying damage the game objectively speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Tempeste View Post
    I wanted to make a poll to gauge how many people here consider no flying a deal breaker for them, no debate or anything, was just curious on how much of an issue it is here on MMO Champion specifically.

Please keep in mind all of the poll options include you playing or not playing WoD IF there will be no flying at all, not even after the first patch, and throughout the entire expansion.

Edit: I meant to put "playing" instead of "purchasing" in the title, and "will you play" instead of "will you buy" in the poll. Buying and playing can certainly be two different things! If a kind mod sees this and would pretty please change it for me for clarity and for a better and clearer poll/thread that would be great!
    What exactly was it that led you to think we needed another topic about this? Were the 20+ already here not enough for you?
    I'm not a defender of Blizzard, I'm an opponent of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    Precisely. If they'd kept it as a sporadic quest gimmick it would have been awesome. Now everyone's so used to being able to jump outside of the environment for movement that they picture every game without flying mounts absurd.
    Disclaimer: The majority of my posts might be dripping in sarcasm. Don't take everything I say literally.

A mmo champ poll does not do justice 2 what the Wow commuity acutaly thinks.. if they remove flying 4 the whole X-Pack they will loose a good 3 - 5 millions subs. They might take it out for 1 patch.. but when they see they have lose over 4 or 5 millions subs it will b brought back there not gonna loose all that money over not having flying.. once they see how much ppl is gone it will b there agin They wont let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    In what way?

Didn't it actually peak, and 2 of the most beloved expansions came out, with flying in the game?

I've been playing for 6 years and I haven't had anything ruined by flying. Not a single thing. Mind you, I don't gank people...but that's pretty much all. How did flying damage the game objectively speaking?
    You're acting as if flying was the SOLE reason TBC and WOTLK atracted as many players as it id. You'd never be able to tell if that was the case, or not for that matter.

Locked the thread, even though differently worded, there is already a thread about this in the Warlords of Draenor General Discussion.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Apparently, if you make a person jump off a cliff but you stop him from doing it successful in ArcheAge, you get the honor but you don't get the points - fun thought.