Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Old Zones - When does an asset become a liability?

Is there a point when older art & content assets become so dated, that they are actually a liability in attracting new players - or fitting in with newer zones/stories? Curious what people think about this.

free level 90 with purchase of WoD helps with this.

The old zones gets updated as time goes, they are part of the content though you may just purchase an update if you dislike working for it.

They can't really update all zones unless something happens to them, some of them do explain a good bit of the story as well.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!

I wish the old zones were still available in their original form. They had truly interesting, meaningful quests that connected deeply to the lore of the game and the continents.

The overhaul they did in Cata was mostly pretty bad. They removed all the timeless, deep questlines and replaced them with "OMG EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH". Which is uninteresting after playing through it once, and even moreso if you realize that Deathwing's been dead for an expansion or two.

I'm currently trying to get a friend interested in WoW, who comes from LotRO and is a lore nut, but the missing lore from the old continents is a major downside for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I wish the old zones were still available in their original form. They had truly interesting, meaningful quests that connected deeply to the lore of the game and the continents.

The overhaul they did in Cata was mostly pretty bad. They removed all the timeless, deep questlines and replaced them with "OMG EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH". Which is uninteresting after playing through it once, and even moreso if you realize that Deathwing's been dead for an expansion or two.

I'm currently trying to get a friend interested in WoW, who comes from LotRO and is a lore nut, but the missing lore from the old continents is a major downside for him.
    i can agree with this, even after you finished the quests, things are STILL burning. Though Classic had sort of same thing with bad technology but things had a sense of completion than deathwing magically coming back to 420-blaze it
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitehattori View Post
    i can agree with this, even after you finished the quests, things are STILL burning. Though Classic had sort of same thing with bad technology but things had a sense of completion than deathwing magically coming back to 420-blaze it

Yeah, that's the worst. It pains me so much how Blizzard doesn't seem to care anymore about creating a truly immersive world. Kalimdor and EK are still burning all over, and have done so for years -- who cares, old content. The Vale of Eternal Blossoms will forever be a corrupted, ugly, purply mess -- who cares, old content.

Remember the quests in the old Plaguelands? Little Pamela? That shit was deep. Now it's some staged fight between Alliance and Horde that never even gets resolved.
    Remember the quests in Ashenvale, full of mystery and ancient lore? Now it's Orcs eternally burning down the forest, with a huge fire elemental as a cherry on top, and nothing ever being done about it, because Orcs > Nelves in the eyes of Blizzard.

Oh, and remember those Emerald Dream portals out in the world in some elusive places, with BIG dragons protecting them? I found those so incredibly intriguing and terrifying. Exploring a pretty place, not thinking of anything evil --- ohgodonehitbybigdrake. It felt so mysterious and "important", you know? Like an ancient part of the world, a deep mystery.

Uldum is probably the single most disappointing questing zone in the entire game, for me. The place looks so incredibly awesome, big, spacious, ancient, amazing architecture, ancient cultures and races -- and all you get is 80 quests about Indiana Jones. It left me feeling super empty.
    Last edited by Awbee; 2014-04-27 at 04:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans Valyrian Stormclaw's Avatar
    World's End Tavern, listening to the Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftains
    Yeah, that's the worst. It pains me so much how Blizzard doesn't seem to care anymore about creating a truly immersive world. Kalimdor and EK are still burning all over, and have done so for years -- who cares, old content. The Vale of Eternal Blossoms will forever be a corrupted, ugly, purply mess -- who cares, old content.

Remember the quests in the old Plaguelands? Little Pamela? That shit was deep. Now it's some staged fight between Alliance and Horde that never even gets resolved.
    Remember the quests in Ashenvale, full of mystery and ancient lore? Now it's Orcs eternally burning down the forest, with a huge fire elemental as a cherry on top, and nothing ever being done about it, because Orcs > Nelves in the eyes of Blizzard.

Oh, and remember those Emerald Dream portals out in the world in some elusive places, with BIG dragons protecting them? I found those so incredibly intriguing and terrifying. Exploring a pretty place, not thinking of anything evil --- ohgodonehitbybigdrake. It felt so mysterious and "important", you know? Like an ancient part of the world, a deep mystery.

Uldum is probably the single most disappointing questing zone in the entire game, for me. The place looks so incredibly awesome, big, spacious, ancient, amazing architecture, ancient cultures and races -- and all you get is 80 quests about Indiana Jones. It left me feeling super empty.
    I'm pretty sure they said that the Vale would get a phasing makeover like they did for Theramore, a pre 5.4 and post 5.4 state.

Uldum was about the Tol'Vir, as such the zone was centered around Brann, and they were very interesting quests.

I suppose one one the reasons why Blizzard wanted to redo the zones was to help bring new players far more quickly into the lore of Warcraft, seeing how there was 8 years of lore that needed to be told to the player in 60 levels. I think they should've just left it and allowed the player to learn the lore of Warcraft over all 80 levels.

You could go straight from Warcraft 1 to WoW and the lore wouldve been a direct timeline than Cata > Outland > wrath > cata > MoP ???

older zones were much more subtle in their use of references and quiet about them too
    Marion and Linken? Apes with barrels? compared to Redridge - 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'''

I think blizz should at least go back to some zones and phase them, fix ashenvale, Durotar unflooded, barrens unsplit (big effort and large elementals fixed the land /shrug).
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

You could go straight from Warcraft 1 to WoW and the lore wouldve been a direct timeline than Cata > Outland > wrath > cata > MoP ???

older zones were much more subtle in their use of references and quiet about them too
    Marion and Linken? Apes with barrels? compared to Redridge - 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'''

I think blizz should at least go back to some zones and phase them, fix ashenvale, Durotar unflooded, barrens unsplit (big effort and large elementals fixed the land /shrug).
    I don't know what you are talking about the overhaul is fantastic. Centering quests into dungeons are fantastic. The game and quests were convoluted as fuck in vanilla. A quest in Arathi gives you access to a quest line in STV. Oh boy I love world hopping because: Reasons. It flowed atrociously

There were serious problems with the old quests, and there are serious problems with a lot of the new ones (except Silverpine, no one talks badly about Silverpine) but, yeah old zones should really get a revamp every now and then, and hopefully they'll establish a solid timeline if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about the overhaul is fantastic. Centering quests into dungeons are fantastic. The game and quests were convoluted as fuck in vanilla. A quest in Arathi gives you access to a quest line in STV. Oh boy I love world hopping because: Reasons. It flowed atrociously
    Making them difficult to follow made the sense of adventure and exploration. It makes sure you choose your own way than being on rails.

You can still choose your own way. Thats why we have so many 1-60 leveling zone paths.

You can still choose your own way. Thats why we have so many 1-60 leveling zone paths.
    There's two zones to every range. Classic had more, much more.

Not everyone necessarily likes everything being extremely streamlined. I thought that it was quite fun for the first play through, just getting to know the zones and feeling more of a connection between the quests. Obviously not as an experience for every single character but still.

Making them difficult to follow made the sense of adventure and exploration. It makes sure you choose your own way than being on rails.
    There is a middle ground between hyper on rails modern quests and nonsensical quest structure of Vanilla quests, I mean it was not uncommon for the quests to involve you running ages for something you couldn't find without an obscene amount of exploring or thottbot. I mean the Barrens chat was memetic for the amount of lost players trying to find quests objects that either never dropped, had no guidance towards finding or was a 10-20 minute walk away. And let's not even talk about level 58+ where all quests stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I'm pretty sure they said that the Vale would get a phasing makeover like they did for Theramore, a pre 5.4 and post 5.4 state.
    Oh, did they? That would be great! Do you happen to have a link?

Uldum was about the Tol'Vir, as such the zone was centered around Brann, and they were very interesting quests.
    Yeah, you're right, some of the quests were alright. But then it took a turn for the worse, and that impression stuck with me.

I suppose one one the reasons why Blizzard wanted to redo the zones was to help bring new players far more quickly into the lore of Warcraft, seeing how there was 8 years of lore that needed to be told to the player in 60 levels. I think they should've just left it and allowed the player to learn the lore of Warcraft over all 80 levels.
    The problem is, the new zones only bring players into the lore of Cataclysm. Vanilla lore is practically gone from the game, and that's incredibly sad, because it was so rich. I wouldn't have minded some Cata-zones if the phasing was done right and things stopped burning after you finished the area.

Thousand Needles is a terrible questing experience for me. Just absolutely horrible.

Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    The problem is, the new zones only bring players into the lore of Cataclysm. Vanilla lore is practically gone from the game, and that's incredibly sad, because it was so rich. I wouldn't have minded some Cata-zones if the phasing was done right and things stopped burning after you finished the area.
    Most WarCraft fans who followed the lore from the RTSes would say that Vanilla WoW (heck, there are people still don't acknowledge WoW as a continuation of WarCraft) had really insignificant lore. Most of the highlights of Vanilla lore have either been retconned (i.e. the whole Onyxia deal), or have not progressed whatsoever since they got introduced (just look at zones like Elwynn Forest where after several years you still play through the same storyline with no progression whatsoever).

WoW has always had big issues with keeping WarCraft lore consistent and progress previous stories forwards without having to rely on other mediums like novels to keep the stories in check. Vanilla was hardly the pinnacle of lore, even if it was enjoyable to play the game at the time.

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Classic was so all over the place so the lore wasn't really as big.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    Thousand Needles is a terrible questing experience for me. Just absolutely horrible.
    It always was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Classic was so all over the place so the lore wasn't really as big.
    Not every quest needs to be about the big picture. I liked how a lot of the classic quests were about how the big picture affected the little guy.