Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Not every quest needs to be about the big picture. I liked how a lot of the classic quests were about how the big picture affected the little guy.
    It wasn't. It was literally not much else. Sorry but Vanilla questing was not that great. Because literally that's all it was small stuff. I'm not even talking about how linaer thigns are now.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I wish the old zones were still available in their original form. They had truly interesting, meaningful quests that connected deeply to the lore of the game and the continents.

The overhaul they did in Cata was mostly pretty bad. They removed all the timeless, deep questlines and replaced them with "OMG EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH". Which is uninteresting after playing through it once, and even moreso if you realize that Deathwing's been dead for an expansion or two.

I'm currently trying to get a friend interested in WoW, who comes from LotRO and is a lore nut, but the missing lore from the old continents is a major downside for him.
    The lore was always missing, if you will...
    I am not in agreement with you, regarding the revamped 1 - 60 zones. These zones are a lot fresher, more streamlined and content richer than they've ever been.

We could however argue whether it was a good idea to scale the difficulties of the starter zones down dramatically. When I started playing WoW, every single mob in the level 1 - 10 zone was hostile. And if you didn't pay attention to the game tips, you died quickly. Now all these mobs are neutral. You will be at much higher level already until you get a feeling on how to avoid aggro. How many mobs you can or cannot survive...
    The story telling regarding the lore was always lackluster. It is however pretty good with the races added in Cata. Goblin and Worgen starter zone give a much greater storyline than any other zones have.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I wish the old zones were still available in their original form. They had truly interesting, meaningful quests that connected deeply to the lore of the game and the continents.

The overhaul they did in Cata was mostly pretty bad. They removed all the timeless, deep questlines and replaced them with "OMG EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH". Which is uninteresting after playing through it once, and even moreso if you realize that Deathwing's been dead for an expansion or two.
    100% agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Come to Detroit for the beer and crumbling architecture.

Stay in Detroit because someone stole your passport.

With all the new Garrison buildings, doesn't anyone think they could added those in & if your on Fair or Low you get the old stuff ??

You could also argue that "EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH" is an oversimplification because you didn't like it.

With all the new Garrison buildings, doesn't anyone think they could added those in & if your on Fair or Low you get the old stuff ??
    Half constructed buildings!
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about the overhaul is fantastic. Centering quests into dungeons are fantastic. The game and quests were convoluted as fuck in vanilla. A quest in Arathi gives you access to a quest line in STV. Oh boy I love world hopping because: Reasons. It flowed atrociously
    Yup. WTB old style (depth) quests with new style centering/convenience. Anyone who played in Vanilla/TBC or did Loremaster before Cata can attest to the horrible back-and-forth hopping between continents. It was beyond tedious.
    Last edited by Nemah; 2014-04-27 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You could also argue that "EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH" is an oversimplification because you didn't like it.
    I think you hit the nail with that...
    Those Cata related new quests have been very good in story telling aspect.
    They've even managed to give extremely boring zones a pleasant feel at all.
    Blasted Lands is better than before..
    Desolace also much better..
    At least for Horde Stonetalon Mountains is leaps and bounds better than before.
    The no sense making whatsoever Stranglethorn Vale.. Suddenly had storytelling....
    And the list can be extended, imo to basically all zones.
    Thousand Needles can be argued with the flooding of the whole zone vs dry zone. Yet it has a fairly decent story line regarding the enemy to offer.

The overhaul they did in Cata was mostly pretty bad. They removed all the timeless, deep questlines and replaced them with "OMG EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH".
    Agreed, to some extent. While a lot of the old quests were rather boring, the lore was usually good. It felt like it was tied more to the factions than specific recent/ongoing events.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

STV with the page collecting. That was hell. Don't tell me that's good questing. CAUSE IT IS NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    Are you talking about graphics settings now?
    You want content change according to graphic display?

Yes. Which is why the player model update happened.
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

STV with the page collecting. That was hell. Don't tell me that's good questing. CAUSE IT IS NOT!
    Oh god I think I'd repressed my memories of that. /shudder

Grind pages or pay lots of gold for them on the AH. >.<

From plain questing story telling aspect in vanilla. I had zero clue why there are trolls, who they are, what they are, and what their business was, back when I started playing the game.
    I've developed background interest regarding the game's lore later than that. Those STV quests didn't tell me anything...

And yeah. stupid pages. cluttering the bag space nothing else lol

I'm with the people who are amazed that there is nostalgia over the classic questing experience.

In a nutshell, I didn't care what I did or why I did it. I couldn't have told you who the Defias were or why Westfall was in trouble. I just knew those thrice-cursed casters hit for WAY too much. I knew there were "bad" orcs and dwarves who were conveniently color-coded black for me, but as far as I was concerned the only reason I was killing Dark Irons and Burning Blades/Blackhands was because somebody with a yellow ! said so. Or what was going on in Sunken Temple? Something about green dragons and trolls and way too many AoE packs. And those were at least the more condensed experiences, not the "go on a world tour to scare my siblings with this mechanical yeti that took you 9 years to grind out the horns for."

I became a master at leveling in classic because I liked trying all the classes. I was really good at making the most out of the leveling curve, going where I needed to go when, etc. But there was absolutely no in-game guide to do so. It just took repeated characters to figure it out. While a small part of me is sad that my leveling expertise is now wasted, it's vastly eclipsed by the rest of me that appreciates that leveling isn't a hellish scavenger hunt anymore.

Vanilla questing was amazing your first play through, the 'world hopping' got you to see the entire world of warcraft. I think that was the point, you could choose to halt questing in your current zone and go check out the other one or save it for later.

I very often capped my quest limit because there were so many choices, but true enough after a few times it was horrendous. Mainly because it took so incredibly long to traverse the world.

If we had better travel options I don't think it would have been so bad, but cata questing is so garbage imo. It is way too linear.. and far far too easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta
    Oh my god, a company tries to put some lore flavor into the game mechanics, all is lost, whatever shall we do without a whole 1% of crit or haste.

Quick, call Ukraine and Russia, let them know to put their conflict on standby because Touch of Elune is BULLSHIT!

Heh, I agree. That was so much of a clusterfuck that it was almost amusing, though.

I guess, taking my nostalgia goggles off, some areas did indeed change for the better. Blasted Lands, yes, and the Blackrock mountain surrounding areas, come to mind. STV as well probably, that one island off the coast has a cool story. The Defias storyline with Vanessa Van Cleef in Westfall is cool.

I think there are just specific areas that I miss in their original form, because I much preferred them that way. Specifically the Plaguelands (Pamela ), Ashenvale, Duskwood (Mor'Ladim ), Loch Modan (I miss the lake so much ;__; ), Hillsbrad Foothills (goddamn Undead), the Emerald Shrines, that letter on the bridge to Arathi Highlands. Oh, and Azshara. Yes, the Goblin quests there are awesome and fun, but the old Azshara was ancient, mystical and one of my favorite zones pre-change. It felt so enchanted yet dangerous, I felt a bit like that old game, "Myst", when playing there ...

I also preferred the old Tirisfal and Silverpine Forest, even though I know many disagree with me here, and that the new ones are "technically" better. I just generally prefer to see the Undead storyline as sad and tragic, as opposed to evil and maniac.

That's why I also dislike the new Scholomance. The old one was really tragic and saddening, with grim details about what happened to the poor people there. The new one has pop culture references about Harry Potter :/
    Last edited by Awbee; 2014-04-27 at 07:34 PM.

I don't know really what is "better". Vanilla seemed to be about having zones with their own atmosphere with quests about little stories happening to little people with the occasional big story questline tossed in, but with Cata the zone revamps seemed to shaped around big blockbuster questlines filled with things "happening". I remember back in vanilla when my nelf rogue went from the gloomy and atmospheric Darkshore and Ashenvale to Westfall and I thought, at the time, that that zone was awesome. The actual quests were crap but I loved Westfall's ambience as a contrast to the zones which I spent days in, and when I checked it out after the revamp my heart sank when I seen what it had become. But then again, I know a few people who started after the revamp who loved the new quests. It's all personal really; I prefer the new quests but I can't help feel a lot of the old atmosphere is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I'm with the people who are amazed that there is nostalgia over the classic questing experience.

In a nutshell, I didn't care what I did or why I did it. I couldn't have told you who the Defias were or why Westfall was in trouble. I just knew those thrice-cursed casters hit for WAY too much. I knew there were "bad" orcs and dwarves who were conveniently color-coded black for me, but as far as I was concerned the only reason I was killing Dark Irons and Burning Blades/Blackhands was because somebody with a yellow ! said so. Or what was going on in Sunken Temple? Something about green dragons and trolls and way too many AoE packs. And those were at least the more condensed experiences, not the "go on a world tour to scare my siblings with this mechanical yeti that took you 9 years to grind out the horns for."

I became a master at leveling in classic because I liked trying all the classes. I was really good at making the most out of the leveling curve, going where I needed to go when, etc. But there was absolutely no in-game guide to do so. It just took repeated characters to figure it out. While a small part of me is sad that my leveling expertise is now wasted, it's vastly eclipsed by the rest of me that appreciates that leveling isn't a hellish scavenger hunt anymore.
    Nicely written.... Applause..
    Reading it reminded me how I used to use QuestHelper and Cartographer..... What a blessing those 2 addons have been.
    Down the road I've been given a Zygor Guide from a friend, boy that was helping even more.

Heh, I agree. That was so much of a clusterfuck that it was almost amusing, though.

I guess, taking my nostalgia goggles off, some areas did indeed change for the better. Blasted Lands, yes, and the Blackrock mountain surrounding areas, come to mind. STV as well probably, that one island off the coast has a cool story. The Defias storyline with Vanessa Van Cleef in Westfall is cool.

I think there are just specific areas that I miss in their original form, because I much preferred them that way. Specifically the Plaguelands (Pamela ), Ashenvale, Duskwood (Mor'Ladim ), Loch Modan (I miss the lake so much ;__; ), Hillsbrad Foothills (goddamn Undead), the Emerald Shrines, that letter on the bridge to Arathi Highlands. Oh, and Azshara. Yes, the Goblin quests there are awesome and fun, but the old Azshara was ancient, mystical and one of my favorite zones pre-change. It felt so enchanted yet dangerous, I felt a bit like that old game, "Myst", when playing there ...

I also preferred the old Tirisfal and Silverpine Forest, even though I know many disagree with me here, and that the new ones are "technically" better. I just generally prefer to see the Undead storyline as sad and tragic, as opposed to evil and maniac.

That's why I also dislike the new Scholomance. The old one was really tragic and saddening, with grim details about what happened to the poor people there. The new one has pop culture references about Harry Potter :/
    ...Huh where? I never noticed The Harry Potter reference I mean.

...Huh where? I never noticed The Harry Potter reference I mean.
    Professor Slate, the Potions Teacher