Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    Thousand Needles is a terrible questing experience for me. Just absolutely horrible.
    Have you not done it lately? It's awesome now and you get your own freaking boat

  2. #42
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Yes, the Goblin quests there are awesome and fun, but the old Azshara was ancient, mystical and one of my favorite zones pre-change. It felt so enchanted yet dangerous, I felt a bit like that old game, "Myst", when playing there ..
    I too liked the old Azshara feel. It really felt quite a lot like a Elven land that was overrun and lost to an enemy, yet still gave some kind of a hope of reclaiming it.
    With all those Goblins there now, that seems to be settled for good in favor of the Gobs. lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Have you not done it lately? It's awesome now and you get your own freaking boat
    And I wish they'd let us use that boat elsewhere too. Sucks how it's limited to TN alone
    Cause, that thing is faaaaaaaaaaaast...... lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  3. #43
    I miss some of the old quest chains, like alliance side onyxia and Tirion Fordring's initial quest, but all in all I like the world better now.
    "If you have to believe it on faith, you have no reason to believe it at all.” Aron Ra

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer Bigbazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    3,622
    As for the art style, I don't think it really is a big issue.. They have been slowly upgrading things over the years but it's not like it is make or break. But about the old quests

    The old quests were a load of shite.

    Ok go here talk to Bill
    Now travel to another continent and talk to Bob
    Now travel back to Bill
    Now travel to another continent and talk to Jeff
    Now travel to the other side of the continent and talk to Dave
    Now travel back to Bob


    Too much of that, too much of nothingness inbetween quests. Zones were painfully slow and badly designed, most of the new quests are streamlined versions of old questing that make the leveling process smoother and less painful. Leveling back in Vanilla/TBC meant you often ran out of things to do to level up, not high enough to move to a new zone and finished the old zones, mindlessly traveling around trying to find something to do or to hand in some quest that would give a little experience boost.

    It was shite. Now the old quests with the current EXP rate would not be so bad, but even so for the most part the overhaul is much much much better, There are some zones that I think are not necessarily better, like Ungoro/Dustwallow Marsh (which had an overhaul during TBC). Either way if you level up now it's about 3-4x faster to do dungeons with the LFD system.

    Art assets though, I think they are fine. Only way for Blizz to keep it all up to date would be to creat a new game engine entirely for the graphics, and new assets for everything.
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz : 16GB DDR3 : GTX670 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

  5. #45
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    I miss some of the old quest chains, like alliance side onyxia and Tirion Fordring's initial quest, but all in all I like the world better now.
    What I really miss from the old content is.... Don't kill me now lol.....
    The Night Elf quest that sent you to Ironforge, from Auberdine. Even though, it would still not be the same today as it used to be, but if you got a friend who just started the game, they'd still get a small glimpse of the epic accomplishment what it meant for a level 16 to first take the boat to Menethil harbor, and then to walk on foot all the way past raptors, crocs and Orcs that were all between 5 and 7 levels higher up to Ironforge. Entering the gates for the very first time, after such a dangerous long walk really gave a great feeling.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  6. #46
    Brewmaster Awbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I too liked the old Azshara feel. It really felt quite a lot like a Elven land that was overrun and lost to an enemy, yet still gave some kind of a hope of reclaiming it.
    With all those Goblins there now, that seems to be settled for good in favor of the Gobs. lol
    Yeah :/
    It was walking in the ruins of an ancient civilisation, so big and glorious you almost can't imagine it, and then hoping that soon, you might reclaim this land and build upon the ruins.

    My fav races in the game are Night Elves and Gnomes, so it really hurt to see the Night Elves losing so much in Cataclysm. Darkshore destroyed, Ashenvale burning, Azshara gone to the goblins, Stonetalon Forest exploding, Fel Forest poisoned as usual. The Night Elves pretty much don't have a single "whole" area left except for Teldrassil (and, granted, the Hyjal zone is nice, but also mostly burning -.- ). Not to mention the Gnomes still not having much of anything, but at least we got 5 levels of Gnome specific starting area. Gotta count the small victories ;_;

  7. #47
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,595
    Until the playerbase faces their fears and we get Underwater content -_-
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  8. #48
    Brewmaster Awbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,484
    Ohhhhh, and the one NPC I will forever miss the most:

    Adorable little Ashli in the old Zul'Aman!

    http://www.wowwiki.com/Ashli

    I wish I could have adopted her <3

  9. #49
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Yeah :/
    It was walking in the ruins of an ancient civilisation, so big and glorious you almost can't imagine it, and then hoping that soon, you might reclaim this land and build upon the ruins.

    My fav races in the game are Night Elves and Gnomes, so it really hurt to see the Night Elves losing so much in Cataclysm. Darkshore destroyed, Ashenvale burning, Azshara gone to the goblins, Stonetalon Forest exploding, Fel Forest poisoned as usual. The Night Elves pretty much don't have a single "whole" area left except for Teldrassil (and, granted, the Hyjal zone is nice, but also mostly burning -.- ). Not to mention the Gnomes still not having much of anything, but at least we got 5 levels of Gnome specific starting area. Gotta count the small victories ;_;
    amen to this.....
    Nelfs were my first two toons.... I was drawn the most to them, when I looked at images of the toons/landscape of all races for vanilla..
    When Cata came I too felt that sting to the heart seeing how much they've lost. Equally thrilled I was when I discovered Malfurion standing there giving me a quest. And that been said while at that time I've mainly played on my horde toons.
    Playing all races so far in the game.. I strongly agree with you here.... Nelfs above else, and Gnomes too are treated like unwanted stepchildren.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  10. #50
    Can't say I miss the old quests. The good ones were REALLY good, and gave you a sense of journey and adventure, like the old Linken quest or Onyxia thingy. Problem is, those quest chains were very rare and when playing without any guides you could easily miss them. Moreover, the rewards were usually underwhelming compared to the effort. After a long and excruciating quest chain, even if it was neat, I always thought that killing those raptors over and over would be way more profitable.

    And Cata revamp was awesome. Adding a story (yeah, story, something that was a bit missing from Vanilla questing) and fun quests to zones was a great idea and I don't get why would anyone not love them. New Thousand Needles is the opposite of the old zone, where grind was a way to go and half of the time you were just running from a to b. Stonetalon Mountains questline is amazing. Desolace doesn't send you on an 1 hour fieldtrip just to kill a couple of nagas.

  11. #51
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Until the playerbase faces their fears and we get Underwater content -_-
    That zone wasn't soo bad I think..
    A little too crowded with mobs at the starting point, and I needed some time to think a bit more three dimensional, but I got used to it lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I wish the old zones were still available in their original form. They had truly interesting, meaningful quests that connected deeply to the lore of the game and the continents.

    The overhaul they did in Cata was mostly pretty bad. They removed all the timeless, deep questlines and replaced them with "OMG EVERYTHING'S BURNING WAHHH". Which is uninteresting after playing through it once, and even moreso if you realize that Deathwing's been dead for an expansion or two.


    I'm currently trying to get a friend interested in WoW, who comes from LotRO and is a lore nut, but the missing lore from the old continents is a major downside for him.
    yep. All of the good quests that took you into the world have been replaced with goofy punch deathwings face off and fly motorcycles and CSI ripoffs. The quests aren't good anymore and they really ruined nostalgia for many people which is only one of the reasons I want to even play the game is to go through the old zones again.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Is there a point when older art & content assets become so dated, that they are actually a liability in attracting new players - or fitting in with newer zones/stories? Curious what people think about this.
    entire wow starting experience is a fucking disaster tbh. i have a special place in my heart for the zones but they do kinda look like shit and the questing? corny stories, everything on rails, 0 challenge and stupid fucking pop-culture references all over the place (yes i hate the revamp ;p).

    i can't imagine anyone looking for fantasy rpg adventure thinking anything else then 'what the fuck is this shit?'.

    free 90 boost suddenly makes so much more sense.

  14. #54
    Brewmaster Awbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by christarp View Post
    yep. All of the good quests that took you into the world have been replaced with goofy punch deathwings face off and fly motorcycles and CSI ripoffs. The quests aren't good anymore and they really ruined nostalgia for many people which is only one of the reasons I want to even play the game is to go through the old zones again.

    I think a mixture would have been nice. Keep those long, deep, intriguing, lore-rich vanilla questlines, and add some new, engaging, fun questlines. Remove the old "collect 20 bear arses" questlines. I'm unhappy with some really epic questlines being removed, even if some of the new stuff is really cool, as well.

  15. #55
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by christarp View Post
    yep. All of the good quests that took you into the world have been replaced with goofy punch deathwings face off
    Okay that quest chain was actually funny, it really made me laugh. Had a ton of humor with cross reference to exaggeration within the community. Much like the quest chain that starts at the border from Silverpine and Hillsbrad... With our epic friend Johnny Awesome, and the DK who is overly in love with his mount. And of course the stupid undead with the matching name Dumass..
    That starts already with the cross reference to Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Okay that quest chain was actually funny, it really made me laugh. Had a ton of humor with cross reference to exaggeration within the community. Much like the quest chain that starts at the border from Silverpine and Hillsbrad... With our epic friend Johnny Awesome, and the DK who is overly in love with his mount. And of course the stupid undead with the matching name Dumass..
    That starts already with the cross reference to Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine.
    That's what I'm getting at, there's so many pop culture references in WoW now that it's not effective at pulling you in, but more effective at taking you out of the world you're playing in and not getting immersed when you go back and think "oh hey they're talking about CSI, I watch CSI!" and things like that. I'm fine with some silliness here and there, but when you change an entire zone to a pop culture reference (westfall) it's excessive and unnecessary and damages what was once a great zone.

  17. #57
    Brewmaster Awbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    entire wow starting experience is a fucking disaster tbh. i have a special place in my heart for the zones but they do kinda look like shit and the questing? corny stories, everything on rails, 0 challenge and stupid fucking pop-culture references all over the place (yes i hate the revamp ;p).

    i can't imagine anyone looking for fantasy rpg adventure thinking anything else then 'what the fuck is this shit?'.

    free 90 boost suddenly makes so much more sense.

    I don't know, I personally always loved questing in WoW, from day one, when I started my little Night Elf in that tree in Teldrassil, and my Undead in that crypt in Tirisfal. I felt sucked into the story and the surroundings, completely immersed, from the first second. Not exaggerating here. It's why I could never understand when people complained about questing being boring, and why it boggles my mind why anyone would want to spend 60 bucks for skipping over content that I love.

    The only times I didn't / don't enjoy questing in WoW is when it's either really mundane, repetitive, boring questlines (the infamous bear-arse-collecting so that some dude can make a new pelt) or blatant pop-culture-references that aren't really just references anymore, but taking over the entire questing experience (like in Uldum, or with that Rocky questline).

    I've tried Wildstar this and last weekend, and while that game has many features that I absolutely love and would be overwhelmed with joy to see them in WoW (like housing, path system, really good talent / skill system, exploration, jumping puzzles, mount customization, adventures, warplots), I just couldn't get into the questing of that game. I wonder if that's how other people feel about WoW's questing?


    In GW2, I greatly enjoyed questing (hearts and dynamic events), but I also said from day 1 that the game was missing long, epic story lines like WoW had to offer. A mix of both would make for an amazing questing / leveling experience. It seems like they're trying to go that route with the new dynamic events in WoD, I'm interested to see how that turns out.

  18. #58
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by christarp View Post
    That's what I'm getting at, there's so many pop culture references in WoW now that it's not effective at pulling you in, but more effective at taking you out of the world you're playing in and not getting immersed when you go back and think "oh hey they're talking about CSI, I watch CSI!" and things like that. I'm fine with some silliness here and there, but when you change an entire zone to a pop culture reference (westfall) it's excessive and unnecessary and damages what was once a great zone.
    Ahhh.... Point taken..... That DK I mentioned has a cross reference to The Rock as well...
    Can you smell what the Lok'tar is cooking.. There's a quest with that name, and he also yells it when he charges up the mountain during the quest chain.
    What is in fact funny how Blizz pointed the finger with satire towards all those self entitled Elitists.
    The DK (Orkus the Kingslayer) brags about his achievements related to the Lich King... Yet, you have to rescue him from drowning in shallow water, since his epicness fell apart to the point that he was so scared of water, he didn't even realize he could easily stand in it. lol
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-04-27 at 08:15 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  19. #59
    I don't mind the updated quest flows, many of the old zones had barely any quests at all (azshara i'm looking at you!), or the questing hubs were very disjointed, or worse, required another zone to be completed first.

    I miss being rewarded with a much high item level armor/weapon or random fun item from doing the longer, more involved and for the most part, optional, quest chains.
    Linken's sword, the UBRS key which summons a drake when you're in UBRS,
    I miss the old class quests, going into Sunken Temple for the troll feathers for the level 50 warrior quest, the level 30ish quest to get berserker stance even after they removed the need to do as you could just buy berserker stance from the trainer, i'd still do the quest for the EXP, and it was fun, it was like Fight Club.
    I miss doing the old warlock mount quest in diremaul, even after you could just buy the mount from the trainer.

    I wish they left some of the more "legacy" quests and stuff in the game, especially the old class quests that had you traversing the world for items to make what was often a unique looking weapon or armor.



    A small pop culture reference in a small 3-4 quest chain is fine, like the one in Hillsbrad with Dumas (the completely clueless new character), Johnny Awesome (the completely decked out in hierlooms alt who doesnt care about quest objectives) and the warrior Kingslayer Orkus (the heroically geared max level character hanging out in a lowbie zone) parodying the various aspects of blizzard's own player base, but entire zones like Westfall (CSI), Red Ridge (Rambo) or half of Uldum (Indiana Jones) is a bit much.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2014-04-27 at 08:20 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Yeah, that's the worst. It pains me so much how Blizzard doesn't seem to care anymore about creating a truly immersive world. Kalimdor and EK are still burning all over, and have done so for years -- who cares, old content. The Vale of Eternal Blossoms will forever be a corrupted, ugly, purply mess -- who cares, old content.

    Remember the quests in the old Plaguelands? Little Pamela? That shit was deep. Now it's some staged fight between Alliance and Horde that never even gets resolved.
    Remember the quests in Ashenvale, full of mystery and ancient lore? Now it's Orcs eternally burning down the forest, with a huge fire elemental as a cherry on top, and nothing ever being done about it, because Orcs > Nelves in the eyes of Blizzard.


    Oh, and remember those Emerald Dream portals out in the world in some elusive places, with BIG dragons protecting them? I found those so incredibly intriguing and terrifying. Exploring a pretty place, not thinking of anything evil --- ohgodonehitbybigdrake. It felt so mysterious and "important", you know? Like an ancient part of the world, a deep mystery.


    Uldum is probably the single most disappointing questing zone in the entire game, for me. The place looks so incredibly awesome, big, spacious, ancient, amazing architecture, ancient cultures and races -- and all you get is 80 quests about Indiana Jones. It left me feeling super empty.
    I think you are right about that. It is also annoying seeing the consequences of garrosh being a giant douche when he's not around anymore. Not so concerned about things being broken and not being fixed as much though. You can explain that as a problem that has yet to be fixed in lore. I hope they just leave blasted lands as occupied by the remnants of Iron Horde with the new update.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •