Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Is there a point when older art & content assets become so dated, that they are actually a liability in attracting new players - or fitting in with newer zones/stories? Curious what people think about this.
    In terms of art it would actually be more of a liability IMO to update all the old stuff to the point that people with older and low end computers could no longer at least enjoy the older portions that may not ask as much from a computer to run that newer, fresher art style might. If that's what we mean in terms of older art.

As nice as it would be if every person was able to have and afford a computer that can handle more and more that companies are increasingly able to put into games, that isn't necessarily possible for all, and forcing someone's hand is more likely to force them to stop paying to play it rather than make them get a new computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I think there are just specific areas that I miss in their original form, because I much preferred them that way. Specifically the Plaguelands (Pamela )
    Pamela's still there. In fact, as I recall, that particular questline was almost completely unchanged--they just moved the questgivers and objectives closer.

Duskwood (Mor'Ladim )
    I think they actually did a really good job of integrating the old Duskwood quests into the new questing experience. A large amount (I hesitate to say most without proof, but I'm pretty sure it is most) of the old quests were preserved.

Oh, and Azshara. Yes, the Goblin quests there are awesome and fun, but the old Azshara was ancient, mystical and one of my favorite zones pre-change. It felt so enchanted yet dangerous, I felt a bit like that old game, "Myst", when playing there ...
    While I agree that the feel of Azshara was ruined, there was really almost nothing to do there before. There was a tiny quest hub with a few quests for each faction and a couple of the level 50 class quests required killing mobs there, but otherwise...no real reason for it to exist.

In GW2, I greatly enjoyed questing (hearts and dynamic events), but I also said from day 1 that the game was missing long, epic story lines like WoW had to offer. A mix of both would make for an amazing questing / leveling experience. It seems like they're trying to go that route with the new dynamic events in WoD, I'm interested to see how that turns out.
    I kind of wish the whole questing/leveling process was for the most part dynamic. And if it would only be to some extend of maybe 10 different possibilities. In ways that if you'd run the same zone 10 times, you would always have some sort of variety within, always something new to experience. I'm not asking for infinite dynamic, that I guess would be unreasonable to wish for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Pamela's still there. In fact, as I recall, that particular questline was almost completely unchanged--they just moved the questgivers and objectives closer.
    Pamela is much easier now. She gives you the quest, you run into the three other buildings and pick up the pieces, done... turn it back in. Takes you like 2 minutes to complete it. Just done it last week.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Pamela is much easier now. She gives you the quest, you run into the three other buildings and pick up the pieces, done... turn it back in. Takes you like 2 minutes to complete it. Just done it last week.
    I was referring to the entire chain centered around her, not just the quests she specifically gives (of which retrieving the doll is only one). But I'm sure it is a lot easier now; I'm pretty sure a lot of the enemies involved, especially in the final battle, were elites before.

Really?
    ... I just looked it up and it appears you're right! Omg that's awesome I never finished questing in the new Eastern Plaguelands, guess I should have totally gonna do this when I subscribe again

I think they actually did a really good job of integrating the old Duskwood quests into the new questing experience. A large amount (I hesitate to say most without proof, but I'm pretty sure it is most) of the old quests were preserved.
    It was alright, but some of the old mystery is gone. Glad it wasn't gotten rid of entirely, though.

While I agree that the feel of Azshara was ruined, there was really almost nothing to do there before. There was a tiny quest hub with a few quests for each faction and a couple of the level 50 class quests required killing mobs there, but otherwise...no real reason for it to exist.
    True. The zone was mostly empty, it begged for something to happen there ... I just wish that "something" wasn't Goblins new cool 50-60 Night Elf zone would have been amazing. Maybe split the zone and give the lower half to the goblins, the northern half to the nelves, with a chasm inbetween.

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    In my head I always imagined Azshara would be a good area to do the Nazjatar/Azshara expansion starter place(Where 80/90's or whatever to go fight underwater).
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

I was referring to the entire chain centered around her, not just the quests she specifically gives (of which retrieving the doll is only one). But I'm sure it is a lot easier now; I'm pretty sure a lot of the enemies involved, especially in the final battle, were elites before.
    yes, I remember vaguely how I've done it before with a lot more time involved to complete the whole chain.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Yea vanilla questing was SOO good that the devs, in an order to make sure the quests stayed new and fresh to the player, made sure you ran out of quests to do around early 30's and then AGAIN at 55+.

Seriously though, vanilla questing experience was atrocious. People keep mixing up the feeling the WORLD gave them when it was all new and fresh and exciting with actual gameplay experiences. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could recreate the feeling I had when playing in vanilla, but confusing that feeling with how good/bad the quests were is a mistake often made on these forums

I don't know, I personally always loved questing in WoW, from day one, when I started my little Night Elf in that tree in Teldrassil, and my Undead in that crypt in Tirisfal. I felt sucked into the story and the surroundings, completely immersed, from the first second. Not exaggerating here. It's why I could never understand when people complained about questing being boring, and why it boggles my mind why anyone would want to spend 60 bucks for skipping over content that I love.
    no, no - i do love questing too, if there's stories i'm interested in. good story will carry even the dullest quests and make me go into total immersion mode. could be why i remember vanilla leveling so fondly even though the actual quest mechanics/systems were pretty fucking bad.

i could live with 1-60 revamp but not with those silly storylines. i always end up leveling in dungeons for 1-60.

Blizzard's biggest problem with the old zones---and by old I mean all the content from Vanilla/Revamped Old World to Pandaria pre-WoD is they don't update the world to reflect the passage of time. Why is it every other MMO does this regularly as a courtesy and to keep the lore feeling fresh but Blizzard feels it doesn't have to?

One thing that could help that the Cataclysm reboot didn't go far enough with:

Revamp Old Outland, Northrend, Cata zones and Pandaria to match the lore and the passage of time. Yes Blizzard has given a firm "FUCK NO" to that--especially after the backlash from the vocal minority and the elitists with how they did Cataclysm--but they've also said if enough people ask, they will do it.

A revisit to old zones, raids and dungeons at either higher levels or level cap could be fun for those who've been hungry for expanded lore. See, WoW could learn from LucasFilm's announcement the other day where they announced anything Star Wars related made from now on wil lbe canon. Blizzard's already started moving in this direction with the series of books it's done over the years.

At level cap, each day the Call To Arms Boards in the capital cities will direct players to visit quest givers in zones they've completed quest chains for. For example after you do the Redridge Quest chain you see Keeshan again in the Burning Steppes and Troteman during the Operation Landfall Quest Chain on Pandaria.

To build onto that, after you've completed at least the Redridge Chain and some of the Burning Steppes chain involving Keeshan and Troteman as well as the Operation Landfall intro quest, when you return to Stormwind City you're directed to Goldshire once you're level 90+. Troteman will tell you while the Alliance has was making its final preparations for the Seige of Orgrimmar, the Dragonmaw Clan launched a surprise counteroffensive and captured Northshire Abbey to the Northeast and is building seige weapons to launch an attack on Stormwind City.

To make matters worse, they opened a second front in the Redridge Mountains to the east but fortunately, the Alliance forces stationed in the Swamp of Sorrows marched into Redridge have built a Garrison at Stonewatch. They're holding the line against the Orc invasion, leaving the more immediate threat in Elwynn Forest. Keeshan has already gone ahead and infiltrated the enemy-controlled Abbey so you're going to need to fight your way in, link up with Keeshan and help him retake Northshire Valley. After you finish the chain (for which you get gold and rep) you'll be directed by Troteman to head to Redridge to help out there.

Just small stuff like that could seriously breathe new life into the game for all types of players ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    World of Warcraft has been played by so many people that it's hard to get a reliable source of new players into the game. Add to that a toxic community that expects perfection out of people who have never played and you have a recipe for decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    Only one faction receiving something completely new? Absolutely not going to happen. The QQ is so massive it will break the QQ Pillar in the Elemental Plane of QQ and unleash Kiukiuwing, the Aspect of QQs.

Only if they don't remove the old stuff in the process.

The benefit of adding new continents and not disturbing the old ones are two-fold:

- New landscapes and areas to explore are always going to feel more interesting than revamped old ones
    - No old stuff gets destroyed, which makes the nostalgics among us happy

I think little progress here and there would be great, (especially things like updating a lot of Cata zones to stop burning once you're done with them ...), but for example I would NEVER want to lose out on the epic questing experience that is the entire continent of Northrend. Seriously, I love that continent to bits, huge fan of the entire LK lore. One of the only things that convinces me to stick to WoW even if changes I'm really unhappy with are being made, is "I'll always have Northrend". No flying in WoD? Changing class playstyles and talents in ways that I strongly dislike? I'll always have Northrend. Don't take that away from me ;__;

Of course, if old Northrend in its entirety could be presereved in Caverns of Time or something similar (like old Outlands is preserved when WoD hits), I'd be entirely fine with something new and fresh being done with Northrend.

The biggest problem that Guild Wars 2 has, and what drove me away from the game, is that they don't add new zones or anything. They keep doing tiny changes in old zones, that are available for a month, and then get removed. It blows, big time. New zones and dungeons being added with regularity is one of the absolute key things that keep an MMO stay alive, in my opinion, and one of the absolute major reasons why WoW has been going on for so long. It does that really well.

Phasing could help a lot with changes to the old world.
    For example: The 20-30 questing experience is Ashenvale ends with everything still burning. Then at level 100, you can access a phased Ashenvale to crush the damn orcs and their war machines, stop the fires, restore the forest, plant some trees. All in a cool mission, of course, maybe an Alliance daily hub. Same thing for the Worgen in Gilneas. And, though it pains me to think of giving the Horde anything the Horde in the Southern Barrens.
    Last edited by Awbee; 2014-04-27 at 09:58 PM.

Although I agree that blizz are lacking effort in terms of a more "immersive" experience in the world of question, it would take a loooong time to revamp everything. Im not saying they shouldn't because tbh I don't think blizz are pulling half their weight, simply because they know they can get away with it. But realistically, it would take a long time to revamp every zone, also surely they would have to come up with new quests.

Lets take Northrend for example, the whole point of being there is to fight off the scourge and end the Lich king, if blizz is to revamp the world to the current time line then what exactly is the point in going to northrend knowing that the scourge has been dealt with and arthas has been dealt with? are blizz just supposed to throw in a couple of new zombies here and there and say "the scourge are rebuilding thier army - kill them".

Perhaps they could add linking quest chains into the existing quests so we feel liek the world is actually changing /shrug

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    I don't mind leaving the old way(Think Pre-Theramore). Love to see Jaina hanging out there. For certain affected areas. Unfortunately phasing is a bit difficult because if you want to help a player leveling and you're max. Well you get the idea.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

Vanilla questing was terrible mess and I definitely don't want to go collecting dragon balls to get my 100 exp. Cata revamp was sorely needed thing.

And vanilla had way more meaningless "collect 20 wolf meat just because" quests compared to cata so please don't be delusional.
    Last edited by PrairieChicken; 2014-04-28 at 12:57 AM.