Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    A B F J M Q V

I like a good mix of different things in stories, A good thrill, some well developed characters, depth and background that works in flowing narrative with everything else.
    I particularly enjoy stories of the little guy overcoming large odds and growing, as well as many sword and sorcery settings.

though i think the main these I like reading in books, comics and seeing in film, tv and games is that of the persecuted overcoming and showing how strong they really are. Anything from gay characters overcoming oppression or women overcoming belittlement or the bullied overcoming the bullies.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2014-05-01 at 12:11 AM.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    I would also recommend the Witcher series (and games, they too have incredible stories) - at least, up until Ciri starts the "chosen one super-teen" crap. Witcher's world has a very mundane feeling, it lacks the pathos of classic fantasy. There's moral ambigiuty on every corner there and it doesn't look unnatural. The series is full of moments like when Geralt shoved a peasant at the monster so that the peasant gets ripped apart and Geralt gets a moment to slay the beast. It might look immoral, but it's the witcher's everyday job - if he didn't win, the monster would kill much more, so someone had to make the sacrifices. Plus it was the first to introduce the racial split between humans and other races in such a realistic way. Dragon Age's elf ghettos were just echoes of Witcher's world.

Witcher 2 is on my to-play list...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailwuful View Post
    Witcher 2 is on my to-play list...
    I still consider this game to be the best RPG I've played - and I played a lot of RPGs. It's very mature and nonlinear - there's essentially two entirely different versions of chapter 2. Be sure to grab the enhanced edition, it adds two long alternative storylines to the third chapter, essentially increasing its duration by a half, and some cinematics.

Also, Witcher 1, despite having odd combat mechanics and sometimes tedious moments (the detective part in chapter 2), has an amazing story. You don't know who you're fighting against till the very end, and even after you learn the villain's identity, his motivation becomes another twist. And another twist when you realize his true identity. And another twist in the end movie, which leads directly into Witcher 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll read anything if it's good. But for some reason I really dig a mix of near future (think 2070-2200) and fantasy/high fantasy. Something like Shadowrun, set in the 2070s or so but there is magic, elves, dragons, all the trapping of warcraft-esqu high fantasy, but with technology and gun and shit.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I gotta say A, B and C. I'm a sucker for those kind of stories