Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is hybrid healing too strong?

Was doing my weekly 2v2 cap. Me on my Warrior with a Monk Healer friend of mine. Nothing serious, just the cap. No TS, limited coordination etc.

But we started running into double hybrid teams over and over again. What shocked me was the amount of raw healing they were capable of, while maintaining pressure, and CC and not going OOM.

Two examples were more notable then the rest. In one a Elemental Shaman/Boomkin combo where between the two of them they healed for 8.5m. The Shaman alone healed for 5.9m while my monk healed for 6.6, the Boomkin doing the rest.

The other example was a Shadow Priest/Elemental team where again the Shaman healed for about 85% of what my healer healed for, and the priest did an additional roughly 2.5M.

I've seen strong hybrid healing before, but never to this extent. What is going on here?

"Hybrid" -- that does not mean what you think it means.
    Hybrid generally refers to any class that can spec to tank and/or heals.

What you're probably thinking of off-healing.

Remember though, as a warrior -- you, too, fall in to off healing with your second wind or ER.

Unfortunately, without you going in to more details it's hard to infer what happened.

Just making a random guess, y'all probably had focus issues. Get one guy low, swap to someone else while the low guy heals back up.. back and forth.

shaman has AG/HTT big heals going to be hard to pressure them during this. otherwise it's HST/healing surge, kill the totem or don't let him free cast? and if you're letting him free cast you're going to lose anyway just from getting blown up.

Elemental and Balance, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    Elemental and Balance, yeah.
    Yeah lol, Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post

What you're probably thinking of off-healing.

Remember though, as a warrior -- you, too, fall in to off healing with your second wind or ER.

Unfortunately, without you going in to more details it's hard to infer what happened.

Just making a random guess, y'all probably had focus issues. Get one guy low, swap to someone else while the low guy heals back up.. back and forth.
    I used the term Hybrid healing exactly for the reason you described, I was talking about specs that aren't healers but have access to healing spells, and they heal too much with them. Others have access to heals too, such as Death Knights, Warlocks even Rogues. While those are heals as well not to extent I am talking about.

Specs such as Elemental, Balance etc. have access to actual healing spells from the spell book of a Healer...and they just heal too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Thats the pve definition. In pvp, hybrid implies any dps spec that can heal others.

OT: Hybrids are a bit out of control in not only healing, but overall utility too. They are compensated for less than subpar damage or cc, so I guess it balances out. Besides, you ran mw/war in 2s, don't expect to kill anything with any speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. In only 2s and maybe 3s they can really take advantage of it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Not really. In only 2s and maybe 3s they can really take advantage of it.
    Yeah, you know. The only relevant PvP setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eveigh View Post
    Yeah, you know. The only relevant PvP setting.
    I know, double hybrid heals in 2s and 3s is insane because it doesn't really promote any skillful play. Oh, your healer is CCed and you're not? Better spam heal your partner while he spam heals himself as well > obviously outplayed.

All hybrids heal for too much in certain situations.
    -Boomkins heal for too much with Cenarian Ward and during hotw.
    -Priests.. well ok, maybe not really priests, although they can spam 30-40k heals a lot.
    -Elemental Shamans heal too much after they crit as well as healing stream and healing tide both healing for 10-11k every second makes it silly.
    -Enhancement Shamans can heal for a lot as well, but less frequently I think than ele shamans simply because healing stream and healing tide dont heal as much, while Healing Surges can heal for a lot. Also, Ancestral Guidance or whatever the ability is called is pretty silly as well as it bumps the shamans hp back to full >_>
    -WW Monks with Tigereye Brew and trinkets up heal for a stupid amount as well. Although more difficult to place and not very frequently used in 3s, it's still silly being able to crit for 60-70k per orb.

But yeah, my biggest complaints are boomkins and ele shamans.

I don't think this will be as much of an issue in wod, healers heals are going to be a lot less powerful. Dps healing is always behind healer's healing which means hybrid dps healing will be even lower. Remember hybrid healing in the start of cata? That's what wod is doing for the healing model. Also something to remember with pvp power being gone that also cuts down things like hotw's healing power in pvp as it amp'd up your healing bonus from pvp power on top of just flat buffing heals.

10+ Year Old Account
    for some classes yes. others its much easier to overpower. but overall i say yes (and i main a feral and WW monk). i shouldnt be able to heal myself as well as a healer in some situations. not saying i shouldnt be able to keep myself alive but sometimes the amount of healing i do is a little stupid lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I know, double hybrid heals in 2s and 3s is insane because it doesn't really promote any skillful play. Oh, your healer is CCed and you're not? Better spam heal your partner while he spam heals himself as well > obviously outplayed.

All hybrids heal for too much in certain situations.
    -Boomkins heal for too much with Cenarian Ward and during hotw.
    -Priests.. well ok, maybe not really priests, although they can spam 30-40k heals a lot.
    -Elemental Shamans heal too much after they crit as well as healing stream and healing tide both healing for 10-11k every second makes it silly.
    -Enhancement Shamans can heal for a lot as well, but less frequently I think than ele shamans simply because healing stream and healing tide dont heal as much, while Healing Surges can heal for a lot. Also, Ancestral Guidance or whatever the ability is called is pretty silly as well as it bumps the shamans hp back to full >_>
    -WW Monks with Tigereye Brew and trinkets up heal for a stupid amount as well. Although more difficult to place and not very frequently used in 3s, it's still silly being able to crit for 60-70k per orb.

But yeah, my biggest complaints are boomkins and ele shamans.
    If you let them heal you are doing something wrong.

You people have to understand for a boomkin, eleshaman or ww, they have to heal to keep themselves alive. They don't have special do not die for X amount of seconds, they have heals. Heals are only overpowered if you let them heal. I would rather have an ability that you can not stop than one you can, but the good thing is if you can get away with it can be overpowered.

Try to understand a class fully before you go around talking about nerfing something. If you nerf offhealing for these classes they will basically be bait.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Pretty much every Person complaining about the offhealing of an ele shaman isn't playing an ele shaman himself. You don't have AG if you spec into Healing stream totem. If you don't spec into healing stream totem, your freaking totem heals for like 5k. If you spec into AG (which you shouldn't) and you get countered/kicked/stunned, it's almost completely wasted since you're doing no damage = no healing. Healing Tide has a 3 min cooldown and only ticks for 10k or so. Spamming healing surge ooms you pretty fast and again, you're not doing any damage in that time. Plus in my gear, healing surge heals for like 25k noncrit.
    Offhealing isn't nearly as op as it was in wotlk for example.

Deleted
    Heals are part of the class, hence them being Hybrids!

Boomkin heals are very strong but it comes at the expense of a level 90 6 min CD talent.
    Shaman heals can be good but Healing Surge costs a lot of mana, so much that if you train them with pressure they will either go oom or die.
    As apepi mentioned, they have heals because they lack a lot of active mitigation (shaman at least).

The ability to heal between procs/CDS on a Shaman is what makes them a Hybrid DPS.

Also try to remember that this is 2v2, the game is not balanced around 2's. Infact at the moment 2's is a shambles with 15 min healer dps games ans WW Monks, but that's another topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    If you let them heal you are doing something wrong.

You people have to understand for a boomkin, eleshaman or ww, they have to heal to keep themselves alive. They don't have special do not die for X amount of seconds, they have heals. Heals are only overpowered if you let them heal. I would rather have an ability that you can not stop than one you can, but the good thing is if you can get away with it can be overpowered.

Try to understand a class fully before you go around talking about nerfing something. If you nerf offhealing for these classes they will basically be bait.
    I appreciate you trying to defend off-healing, but you have to know that you can only stop off-heals for so long. You can stop an ele shaman for roughly 10-12 seconds as a WW Monk if you decide to use all of your stuns plus your interrupt on him. But you have to understand that these abilities aren't always off cooldown.

An interrupt can be faked or baited after which an ele, spriest or boomy can just spam heal without any problems. Besides that, you're not always on your target either.

Try to understand that you don't always have every ability at your disposal to throw at someone (or more specifically, two hybrids) spam healing one target.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    Pretty much every Person complaining about the offhealing of an ele shaman isn't playing an ele shaman himself. You don't have AG if you spec into Healing stream totem. If you don't spec into healing stream totem, your freaking totem heals for like 5k. If you spec into AG (which you shouldn't) and you get countered/kicked/stunned, it's almost completely wasted since you're doing no damage = no healing. Healing Tide has a 3 min cooldown and only ticks for 10k or so. Spamming healing surge ooms you pretty fast and again, you're not doing any damage in that time. Plus in my gear, healing surge heals for like 25k noncrit.
    Offhealing isn't nearly as op as it was in wotlk for example.
    Healing Stream heals for roughly 9-11k every second as ele shaman. Healing Surge heals for 30k noncrit on my shaman and about 45k when I have clearcasting up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Balance is the largest offender when it comes to overpowered off-healing, I don't know why everybody is complaining about Elemental.

Balance is kind of bad damage wise no? If you reduce their off-healing the spec turns out pretty useless in arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    Balance is the largest offender when it comes to overpowered off-healing, I don't know why everybody is complaining about Elemental.
    It's not so much that Elemental's heals are broken, it's more that Elemental's burst healing and passive healing with things like HST, HTT in conjunction with their already reasonable defensives make them feel far worse than they are.

Deleted
    No no no there is no hybrid specs anymore, back in wotlk you could do horrible things with specs, my fiance had a druid that would not die with 20 people attacking her in Av.... Can't really hybrid since the talents were redone sadly