Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    My gear is upgrading but my DPS doesn't seem to be going anywhere - Ele

    Hi everyone, just looking for some helpful advice on how to improve my DPS.

    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...onaut/advanced for reference

    I know my ilvl isn't amazing at all being 530, but in LFR I can maintain maybe 110-120k DPS on bosses, which seems poor compared to other people with similar ilvls. I ran my toon through mr robot and made all the optimisations it told me to bar the weapon enchant as I don't want to waste the money on the enchant for such a poor weapon.

    I stick to the standard ele rotation, but I never use UE as it doesn't seem worth it. Open with EB, FS, LvB, LB, use ES when necessary, whilst keeping searing totem up.

    Any tips to further improve my dps? I just feel weaker than I should be, especially when I see ele shamans who are ilvl 560-570 and can burst up to 800k+ dps. I struggle to see how that gap in ilvl sees such a dramatic increase in DPS, unless thats just how scaling is at the minute.

    Thanks guys!
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S.* (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

  2. #2
    Your DPS is about right for 530ilvl, and yes the jump to 560-570 is a huge one, normally includes legendary meta gem/cloak which also adds a tonne.

    Dont open with EB, priority list is FS>LvB>EB>ES@7stacks>LB, keep searing totem up sure, make sure you use fire ele at a time during a fight its gonna hit on the boss for its duration, fire ele is like ~20% DPS. I assume you're also using ascendance once or twice per fight. Try stack one with hero, make sure FS has more than 12 seconds left before you pop it, also best to do when LvB is on CD to reset CD. Can pop SWG just before as well in case you gotta move

    Edit: Wait wut. Why are you gemming expertise?

    I advise you read this guide to learn basics of spell and stats priority, dont know how you have Mr Robot set up but you dont need expertise.

    http://www.icy-veins.com/elemental-s...-pve-dps-guide
    Last edited by Raedeon; 2014-04-28 at 10:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Your DPS is about right for 530ilvl, and yes the jump to 560-570 is a huge one, normally includes legendary meta gem/cloak which also adds a tonne.

    Dont open with EB, priority list is FS>LvB>EB>ES@7stacks>LB, keep searing totem up sure, make sure you use fire ele at a time during a fight its gonna hit on the boss for its duration, fire ele is like ~20% DPS. I assume you're also using ascendance once or twice per fight. Try stack one with hero, make sure FS has more than 12 seconds left before you pop it, also best to do when LvB is on CD to reset CD. Can pop SWG just before as well in case you gotta move

    Edit: Wait wut. Why are you gemming expertise?

    I advise you read this guide to learn basics of spell and stats priority, dont know how you have Mr Robot set up but you dont need expertise.

    http://www.icy-veins.com/elemental-s...-pve-dps-guide
    Im getting close to the legendary cloak so I guess that will help a bit. But if the dps jump really is that high I guess I'll stop worrying. I'll change my rotation to that, but you are correct with everything else, I stick to all of those rules

    Expertise gives hit, which I was skeptical about at first. But it works, I have next to no spirit / hit rating and the expertise is giving me hit. Just following mr robot haha.
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S.* (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

  4. #4
    you'll gain around 30k+ from cloeak alone.

    you also reforge haste, when mastery is a better dps stat for you.

  5. #5
    Well there you go, didnt know expertise now = hit.

    Your DPS will jump just give it time, you still have a lot of last tier gear, pvp ring, scenario 516 weapon. Getting meta gem and cloak will help, once your gear is mostly into new tier it will also help, replacing your trinkets with BiS (immerseus bindings and dark shaman totem) will also help. Just give it some time. Note that once you get metagem/cloak/immerseus bindings the stat priority changes to favour mastery i believe

  6. #6
    The single target opener that is the most beneficial to your trinket procs is as follows:

    Fire Ele @ -3 seconds > Precast EB/LB > Unleash Elements > Lava Burst > Flame Shock > Stormlash > Any Lava Surge Procs > Ascendance and Lava Burst spam.

    This way you should force a meta proc with your unleash elements/precasted EB or LB to apply it to your flameshock for the extra ticks. Even if you do not have the meta, applying both a Lava Burst and Flame Shock at the same time is a net dps gain over a Flame Shock > Lava Burst.

    I would strongly recommend reading the guide in these forums or over on Totemspot.com for higher level play discussion. Icyveins is typically out of date (the Ele guide was last updated on March 9th 2013) and is not a higher quality source of information.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballpooner View Post
    The single target opener that is the most beneficial to your trinket procs is as follows:

    Fire Ele @ -3 seconds > Precast EB/LB > Unleash Elements > Lava Burst > Flame Shock > Stormlash > Any Lava Surge Procs > Ascendance and Lava Burst spam.

    This way you should force a meta proc with your unleash elements/precasted EB or LB to apply it to your flameshock for the extra ticks. Even if you do not have the meta, applying both a Lava Burst and Flame Shock at the same time is a net dps gain over a Flame Shock > Lava Burst.

    I would strongly recommend reading the guide in these forums or over on Totemspot.com for higher level play discussion. Icyveins is typically out of date (the Ele guide was last updated on March 9th 2013) and is not a higher quality source of information.
    This opener is actually incorrect.

    This is the correct UF spec'd opening rotation:

    3 seconds pre-pull use fire elemental totem
    about 2 seconds use your potion & cast lighting bolt (adjust for haste/latency)
    1 second Lust

    Flame Shock
    Lava Burst
    Storm Lash
    Unleashed Elements
    Lava Surged Lava Burst (if available)
    Ascendance
    Spam Lava Burst

    P.S. Totemspot.com is moving to sentrytotem.com

    As stated the above opener is for Unleashed Fury spec, which you should be using the moment you have your legendary meta, significantly more versatile spec. The EB spec opener is essentially identical except you would use EB for your initial ability instead of lightning bolt.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fearom View Post
    This opener is actually incorrect.

    This is the correct UF spec'd opening rotation:

    3 seconds pre-pull use fire elemental totem
    about 2 seconds use your potion & cast lighting bolt (adjust for haste/latency)
    1 second Lust

    Flame Shock
    Lava Burst
    Storm Lash
    Unleashed Elements
    Lava Surged Lava Burst (if available)
    Ascendance
    Spam Lava Burst

    P.S. Totemspot.com is moving to sentrytotem.com

    As stated the above opener is for Unleashed Fury spec, which you should be using the moment you have your legendary meta, significantly more versatile spec. The EB spec opener is essentially identical except you would use EB for your initial ability instead of lightning bolt.
    I disagree with you and agree with Ballpooner; but will settle with there seem to be several shaman opening rotations, pick the one that feels best to you. As for talents, without the LMG, it does not make sense to use UF over PE or EB.

    P.S. Totemspot.com is NOT moving to sentrytotem.com;
    This is completely separate from TotemSpot, and I will of course still be managing the site here, but Sentry Totem is a new endeavor that I hope some of you will also find useful (and perhaps it can bring a bit more attention to TotemSpot, as well)
    That's from the first paragraph on the home page.
    Last edited by Devos Songare; 2014-04-29 at 01:44 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Devos Songare View Post
    That's from the first paragraph on the home page.
    My bad.

    As for opener, obviously there is going to be one that performs 'better' regardless of which one feels better. Numbers are numbers.

    Using UE flame shock after your initial LvB is a huge dps loss, not just for the loss of bonus from the first LvB but also because it adds a GCD during your UF buff, therefore limiting the amount of LvB you're pushing out during your ascendance, even a fully buffed trinket proc'd flame shock + initial LvB isn't going to outweigh the loss of an additional 1-2 fully buffed LvB during ascendance with trinkets + potion + everything else, which is only achievable if you flame shock prior to your UE.

    - - - Updated - - -

    This lose is exacerbated hugely if you lag.

  10. #10
    You'll see a difference when you get a better weapon, and upgrade it 2/2. Always upgrade your weapons reguardless of ilvl, it's your best item due to the spellpower.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pai Mei View Post
    You'll see a difference when you get a better weapon, and upgrade it 2/2. Always upgrade your weapons reguardless of ilvl, it's your best item due to the spellpower.
    LMG and Cloak are probably the two most vital items for elemental shaman at the moment. As for upgrading stats are stats. If he has a heroic war forged gloves it's going to provide more stats than a LFR toes mace. Not the best advice tbh.

  12. #12
    Upgrading that 516 mace will add about 700 spellpower. That's like 680 Intellect minus the crit bonus.

    Stats aren't stats, cos weapons are the only item with spellpower. Upgrading it will net you a bigger bang for your buck.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pai Mei View Post
    Upgrading that 516 mace will add about 700 spellpower. That's like 680 Intellect minus the crit bonus.

    Stats aren't stats, cos weapons are the only item with spellpower. Upgrading it will net you a bigger bang for your buck.
    Probably should have looked at his character sheet before commenting. Didn't realise he wasn't fresh. Long day...

  14. #14
    Thanks for all the advice guys, all of it is much appreciated. Legendary is going slowly but steadily... 15 secrets left to obtain. If I don't manage to get a new weapon today as lfr / flex have reset, I'll go ahead and upgrade my current weapon cheers guys!
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S.* (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
    I struggle to see how that gap in ilvl sees such a dramatic increase in DPS, unless thats just how scaling is at the minute.
    That is currently how scaling is; you'll see large leaps in dps once you get LMG, Cloak, weapon and trinkets.


    Quote Originally Posted by fearom View Post
    Using UE flame shock after your initial LvB is a huge dps loss, not just for the loss of bonus from the first LvB but also because it adds a GCD during your UF buff, therefore limiting the amount of LvB you're pushing out during your ascendance, even a fully buffed trinket proc'd flame shock + initial LvB isn't going to outweigh the loss of an additional 1-2 fully buffed LvB during ascendance with trinkets + potion + everything else, which is only achievable if you flame shock prior to your UE.
    Considering Ascendance resets the CD on LvB you're not losing a GCD as you can go straight into LvB spam.

    I've tested it time and again and, for me, what you posted doesn't give the best results. It'd be nice if we could see your shaman and maybe some logs just to be able to see where you are coming from. I haven't been able to find a post with a link or a name to your shaman. Anyway I feel like you and I tend to disagree on a lot of things, so I'll just leave you be.

  16. #16
    Epic! Anzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ravencrest
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Dont open with EB
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    make sure FS has more than 12 seconds left before you pop it, also best to do when LvB is on CD to reset CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Why are you gemming expertise?
    I'd probably refraining from giving other people advice just yet :P

  17. #17
    You know Anzen, not sure I've ever seen you post anything constructive, just snide comments.

    How about you switch things up for a change and post something useful?

    1) Why would you open with EB? I've never heard of that before. I've been led to believe that LvB offers more DPS per cast time so open with LvB into FS is best opener. Not having a go, just want to learn.

    2) are you advocating popping ascendence when FS has less than 12 seconds remaining? So that you either have to stop LvB casting to reapply it or carry on casting LvB on a target with no FS?

    3) Expertise, you can have that one

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Devos Songare View Post
    Considering Ascendance resets the CD on LvB you're not losing a GCD as you can go straight into LvB spam.
    UE > GCD > LvB + FS > GCD > Asc > LvB

    That's about 3 seconds of GCD between your UE and your first FS+UF Buffed LvB? With Ascendance popped on blood lust/zerking that's 3 FS+UF Buffed LvB you're missing.

    What's the point of getting your FS buffed with trinkets if you're going to miss out on so much buffed LvB? Look at the damage on a full duration of your Buffed flame shock vs. 3 fully buffed LvB. It doesn't even compare.

    You can UE and Ascendance at the exact same time, when the GCD wears off from UE you're immediately smashing out flameshock/trinket buffed LvB.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    You know Anzen, not sure I've ever seen you post anything constructive, just snide comments.

    How about you switch things up for a change and post something useful?

    1) Why would you open with EB? I've never heard of that before. I've been led to believe that LvB offers more DPS per cast time so open with LvB into FS is best opener. Not having a go, just want to learn.

    2) are you advocating popping ascendence when FS has less than 12 seconds remaining? So that you either have to stop LvB casting to reapply it or carry on casting LvB on a target with no FS?

    3) Expertise, you can have that one
    1) If you have Elemental Blast you precast it before the boss is pulled (~2s before pull). If you don't have EB then you precast Lightning Bolt. I've, honestly, never heard of precasting a LvB.

    2) I've no idea what Anzen is getting at there.

    3) Expertise (another form of hit) can be used to get a socket bonus. There are times AskMrRobot will tell you to do this depending on stat weights. I've only had it happen to me once; I can't recall when though.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    1) Why would you open with EB? I've never heard of that before. I've been led to believe that LvB offers more DPS per cast time so open with LvB into FS is best opener. Not having a go, just want to learn.
    Opening refers to the initial spells casting. In your statement you said that he should open with LvB which is incorrect. The opening ability for a EB spec should EB (to apply buff) then flame shock then into standard rotation.

    Once the fight is in full fling, yes LvB takes precedence - but as you want to get to ascendance as fast as possible once the fight begins you need your buffs to be applied by the time you cast your first LvB. Consider the different scenarios and it makes sense to get the first EB off ASAP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    2) are you advocating popping ascendence when FS has less than 12 seconds remaining? So that you either have to stop LvB casting to reapply it or carry on casting LvB on a target with no FS?
    Yeah I dunno, I completely agree with your original statement on this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •