Poll: Was I rude?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Do you think old people have an entitlement complex?

I'm not sure if it's just me but I've got the impression that the elderly are too sefl-assured and entitled with demanding respect for the solereason of being older. Why should I respect someone because they're old? I just don't understand why people are always like respect your elders bla bla, in most cases they're a waste.

Anyway I madethis thread now because yesterday I was sitting on the train when this elderly lady asked me to relinquish my seat to her because she wanted one by the window. But I wasn't having it as I pointed her to other available seats, admittedly none of them were window seats, she became visibly disgrunted and just sat somewhere at the back.

Was I rude?

Do the elederly have an entitlement complex?
    Last edited by Shinra1; 2014-04-28 at 10:53 AM.

Deleted
    Just because she wanted a window-seat doesn't mean that she felt entitled to it because she's old.

No, you weren't rude for saying she couldn't have it, but I think you're making a big fuzz out of it with this thread.

tbh, these days i think most teenagers are the ones with entitlement complexes

but in the situation you gave, that old lady was pushing it. it's one thing to give up your seat when there are none so she can sit down, but not when she specifically wants you to move so she can have a window seat.

it's like giving up your seat for a pregnant woman, it's so she can sit down - not gaze out of the window.
    <insert witty signature here>

...you do understand that people are individuals, right?

People being asshats their entire lives won't stop being asshats just because they hit a certain age. If someone is showing entitlement complex at the age of 80, he/she probably had it as a kid as well.

And wtf do you mean with "they're a waste"...? These aren't old vegetables we're talking about, they are still human beings...

Quote Originally Posted by Trollskalden View Post
    Just because she wanted a window-seat doesn't mean that she felt entitled to it because she's old.

No, you weren't rude for saying she couldn't have it, but I think you're making a big fuzz out of it with this thread.
    The seat on the train was at the front carriage-line so I suppose it might've been easier for her to sit there than go a few meters to the back to find another seat or go on a different carriage entirely. That's why I thought it was because she was old, I mean what sane person would ask someone for their seat if they were't old, weak or pregnant?

Deleted
    So a person asks a simple question and you act like a morron. Yes you were rude, if it doesn't matter for you and you can make someone else happy then stand up and give them your seat.

If asked properly that is, but from the short OP I can only conclude you'd have posted it no matter how it was asked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    The seat on the train was at the front carriage-line so I suppose it might've been easier for her to sit there than go a few meters to the back to find another seat or go on a different carriage entirely. That's why I thought it was because she was old, I mean what sane person would ask someone for their seat if they were't old, weak or pregnant?
    I go with train very often, you'd be surprised how many people want the window-seat. Of course, they don't get disgruntled if I say no but windows are great spots...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    So a person asks a simple question and you act like a morron. Yes you were rude, if it doesn't matter for you and you can make someone else happy then stand up and give them your seat.

If asked properly that is, but from the short OP I can only conclude you'd have posted it no matter how it was asked.
    Nowhere did he say the window seat didn't matter to him.

I'm not going to feed into her entitllement complex. Yes she did ask me with a polite please, but I still felt no empathy towards her. Now that might make me unempathetic to her cause but I wasn't rude as I pointed to other seats. Why should I give me seat to her? I don't even know her,

Deleted
    The seat on the train was at the front carriage-line so I suppose it might have been easier for her to sit there than go a few meters to the back to find another seat or go on a different carriage entirely. That's why I thought it was because she was old, I mean what sane person would ask someone for their seat if they weren't old, weak or pregnant?
    I have a colleague at work who prefers seats at windows, does it really matter why a person would ask? As long it is asked properly there shouldn't be an issue as you obviously don't give 2 shits about the seat itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to feed into her entitllement complex. Yes she did ask me with a polite please, but I still felt no empathy towards her. Now that might make me unempathetic to her cause but I wasn't rude as I pointed to other seats. Why should I give me seat to her? I don't even know her,
    It doesn't matter, you don't care about the seat at the window itself. All you care about is not putting yourself at a different seat.

If you don't care and she does then why on earth would you not please another person. You should really think about being nicer to other people.

If it was the seat at the front you probably should have given it up for an elderly person.

If you're lucky you might get old one day; and live to a point where a 5 meter shuffle down a moving carriage is more akin to taking the carousel is for you now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I go with train very often, you'd be surprised how many people want the window-seat. Of course, they don't get disgruntled if I say no but windows are great spots...

He is actually right here, I didn't care about the seat I just happened to sit there because I got o n one of the earlier stops so the train was empty. I just didn't feel like I had to give it up though just because she was old and thus feed into her entitlement. I was making a stand against the elderly.

Deleted

The only time people (outside of this situation) want windowed seats is in planes. Let's not pretend the OP actually gave a shit about the seat itself.

He is actually right here, I didn't care about the seat I just happened to sit there because I got o n one of the earlier stops so the train was empty. I just didn't feel like I had to give it up though just because she was old and thus feed into her entitlement. I was making a stand against the elderly.
    Oh...I just noticed who the poster is. The guy making posts going against his values just to stir up shit.

Have fun with that. The train story is most likely just a figment of your imagination. No grown man can be so stupid that he'd do that and then brag about it as if it's some sort of noble cause.

Deleted
    Well, then you're a total dick.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time people (outside of this situation) want windowed seats is in planes.
    My personal experience says otherwise.

The internet might reach a greater consensus on this one Grats OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    You will be a much happier person if you consider making other people happy by doing simple things. You'd be surprised how much difference it makes.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

My personal experience says otherwise.
    I wouldn't say total dick, but with this attitude it's not far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Oh...I just noticed who the poster is. The guy making posts going against his values just to stir up shit.

Have fun with that. The train story is most likely just a figment of your imagination. No grown man can be so stupid that he'd do that and then brag about it as if it's some sort of noble cause.
    I made this thread to answer two questions I had in my mind if you don't care for them you should probably leave.

1. One are the elderly too self-entitled? Demanding respect for just being old even when they aren't necessarily good people. I wouldn't personally care for the opinion or welfare of a 30 year old stranger but why should I care for the welfare of a 60 year old stranger?

2. Was I rude for refusing to give my seat.

I didn't brag just answering a question if I was indeed bragging I would've added it to the OP, you're being silly now.

Young people are more entitled than ANYONE these days.

I'm talking ages 6-18. A world full of technology and no discipline is a very dangerous thing indeed. Hearing how some kids speak to their parents horrifies me.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Do you feel entitled because you aren't old. It certainly seems the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    Young people are more entitled than ANYONE these days.

I'm talking ages 6-18. A world full of technology and no discipline is a very dangerous thing indeed. Hearing how some kids speak to their parents horrifies me.
    That's because of shitty parenting not technology, at least get it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have gave my seat up. Without hesitation.

But then again, I respect my elders and ladies. It's simple really. I operate under the assumption that these complete strangers are good, decent people. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. More than likely I'll never know.

But I will know that I've made their a day a little more at ease and a little less shitty.

Edit - Just looked at the results of the poll. Troubling.
    Last edited by vastx; 2014-04-28 at 11:11 AM.