Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb Totemic Projection should work exactly like Trap Launcher

1) off the global cooldown, 1.5s cooldown
    2) lasts until cancelled
    3) checks los and range, but NOT pathing

I'm not sure if #3 is true for trap launcher but anytime I've tried totemic projection for PvP (battlegrounds) I can rarely even use it because there "no path found" as if your totems have to charge over like a warrior. This is after you have to spend a global waiting after dropping your totem before you can click projection then begin attempting to find a piece of ground that the spell will accept.

Clunky clunky clunky. That seems to be the way of it for Shaman though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riplin View Post
    1) off the global cooldown, 1.5s cooldown
    2) lasts until cancelled
    3) checks los and range, but NOT pathing

I'm not sure if #3 is true for trap launcher but anytime I've tried totemic projection for PvP (battlegrounds) I can rarely even use it because there "no path found" as if your totems have to charge over like a warrior. This is after you have to spend a global waiting after dropping your totem before you can click projection then begin attempting to find a piece of ground that the spell will accept.

Clunky clunky clunky. That seems to be the way of it for Shaman though.
    I'm not sure why they changed the pathing thing, it was never an issue before 5.4
    I remember being able to project magma totem off the edge of the second bosses RP in SoNT for when the bombers starting coming :[

Number 1 Enchantment shaman world 8) soon to be deathknight

Deleted
    Imo totems should be place able like trap launcher base line, not need a seperate ability

Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Imo totems should be place able like trap launcher base line, not need a seperate ability
    Right, I forgot to mention that. This should be baseline, not a talent. However it should still be a separate ability off the global because sometimes you just want to drop totems at your feet without having to click a target area.

I might find this talent somewhat useful if it functioned like Trap Launcher. If you want to project totems, turn on the ability, if you want to just drop with a click, turn it off. Simple. And yes, why it's a talent and not baseline, like Trap Launcher, again is a mystery. Clunky and ill-conceived though is the albatross around Shaman necks though it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Was a PvE focused Enhancement Shaman, this would make me sad, a toggleable skill like trap launcher thought I would like.
    Everything that is, is alive.

Agaor - Enhancement Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    This would not happen because it would be exploitable. I'm looking at you, Wild Charge (Caster form), Shadowstep, etc.

Although I agree that it should, it would have to check pathing because of above, meaning it'd be exponentially less useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    This would not happen because it would be exploitable. I'm looking at you, Wild Charge (Caster form), Shadowstep, etc.
    Could make it so you can't use either of those on totems? Also the only time I ever use this talent is Heroic Siegecrafter so far...just for the distance root. I don't think it's good enough to be a talent itself as is honestly, making it baseline and like trap launcher would be cool though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Could make it so you can't use either of those on totems? Also the only time I ever use this talent is Heroic Siegecrafter so far...just for the distance root. I don't think it's good enough to be a talent itself as is honestly, making it baseline and like trap launcher would be cool though.
    Wouldn't work. They tried making Mushrooms do that for Druids, but they decided it was too much work and just made them check pathing instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Whether they make it baseline (which will be likely if they ever add a movement tier) or not, I think they need to make it work so that
    (1) The totem instantly drops at your feet
    (2) You get a targeting reticule with every totem you drop giving you the option to "throw" it if desired. You could even give it a toggle off switch if people want to never see the launcher.

You can get that functionality now, but it requires you to add macros to the bind for every totem you want to "throw". Macros shouldn't be required for basic functionality, but they pretty much are required to project a short duration totem like SLT fast enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    I might find this talent somewhat useful if it functioned like Trap Launcher. If you want to project totems, turn on the ability, if you want to just drop with a click, turn it off. Simple. And yes, why it's a talent and not baseline, like Trap Launcher, again is a mystery. Clunky and ill-conceived though is the albatross around Shaman necks though it seems.
    This is what type of mechanics we get if we're ever given something even remotely awesome. No matter what it is, it will always be clunky. Such is the way of the Shaman.

Blizzard Design Office: "This ability is so cool, we should definitely give it to Shaman!" -ability gets implemented as clunky as ever, or it's reiterated to the point it's near useless-

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    Blizzard Design Office: "This ability is so cool, we should definitely give it to Shaman!" -ability gets implemented as clunky as ever, or it's reiterated to the point it's near useless-
    I pray they finally resolve this with EQ. One of the most bad ass spells in the game that has near-zero use in PvE content.

On-top: I love the idea of making totemic projection a toggle by default. All for this one.
    Last edited by fearom; 2014-04-29 at 07:39 AM. Reason: near-zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Wouldn't work. They tried making Mushrooms do that for Druids, but they decided it was too much work and just made them check pathing instead.
    Which was a terrible solution, because now when you try to place a mushroom at your own feet you get a "no path available" error because the ground is slightly uneven. Happens about two times out of three when I try to place a mushroom on Haromm. Kind of like how blink sometimes randomly takes you nowhere on Norushen and Malkorok: WoW's pathing algorithms suck.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    WoW's pathing algorithms suck.
    lmao truer words have never been spoken. I have footage somewhere of using warrior charge in blades edge arena where I go around the entire map up the wrong ramp then randomly get stuck half way up that ramp.

*aliens guy* Physics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Which was a terrible solution, because now when you try to place a mushroom at your own feet you get a "no path available" error because the ground is slightly uneven. Happens about two times out of three when I try to place a mushroom on Haromm. Kind of like how blink sometimes randomly takes you nowhere on Norushen and Malkorok: WoW's pathing algorithms suck.
    Pretty much why Mushrooms were really never used, and why I still refuse to use them to this day, as much as Blizzard links abilities to them... /sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Felocity View Post
    I'm not sure why they changed the pathing thing, it was never an issue before 5.4
    I remember being able to project magma totem off the edge of the second bosses RP in SoNT for when the bombers starting coming :[
    =] They didn't change it because it had problems. They changed it because it was being abused in PvP. You could project your totems to the start of Dalaran Sewers or on top of hills/walls and a rogue could Shadow step to your totem and be un-killable basically allowing you to always force a draw if you didnt win or having a rogue flag carrier out of all LoS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsu View Post
    =] They didn't change it because it had problems. They changed it because it was being abused in PvP. You could project your totems to the start of Dalaran Sewers or on top of hills/walls and a rogue could Shadow step to your totem and be un-killable basically allowing you to always force a draw if you didnt win or having a rogue flag carrier out of all LoS.
    That makes perfect sense, but it still doesn't change the fact that both Totemic Projection and Mushrooms have been ruined because of it.

Deleted
    No thanks, I don't want to have to make an extra click to target where I want my Fire Elemental to spawn, I just want it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruge View Post
    No thanks, I don't want to have to make an extra click to target where I want my Fire Elemental to spawn, I just want it out.
    Hence the toggle. A Hunter can toggle Trap Launcher on or off; if it's on, selecting a trap brings up the targeting circle and you place the trap, if off the trap just drops at your feet. The request is to apply the same functionality to Totemic Projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Riplin View Post
    I can rarely even use it because there "no path found" as if your totems have to charge over like a warrior.

"stun totem inc", no path availble. explodes right next to you and wasted 45sec cd.

pathing design sucks, would make more sense to make shadowstep/wild charge not usable on totems/guardians.
    After all, they are also talents and their cd doesn't get wasted when it doesn't work, our totems cd's are ruined when TP has no path.