Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Agreed, the lesser languages need to start embracing the glory that is the English language instead of their strange barbaric speech which they usually use.
    (English is barbaric by definition)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Learn Turkish. It is the easiest, most structured language that ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Aller is a perfectly acceptable substitute, to my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Simple. The language that we call English (more correctly Aenglisc) that existed before 1066 CE was aborted and heavily influenced by French being imported by the Normans. The majority of so-called Latin root words stem from French; in fact, most words with more than two syllables in English derive from French or Greek, not Latin.
    Nice as that may (or may not) be, it only reinforces my point? Latin, according to you, is only a bit related to English, and is a massive aid and lots of fun to spot links, and is dead. If it's still worth keeping, that means that French, alive and kicking and apparently more related, is even more worth keeping?
    Also, French derives from Old French, which derives from Latin, the Romans invaded the UK and we had a lot of people bringing classical stuff in throughout the ages, if French is more related, only by a bit, and is not the direct source in legal, medical, or even all the fun(,) words.

Discounting PIE, because it's too vague.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna close this. We don't need an excuse for a racist thread like this here.