Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I did do their work and handed in a full report of 10 pages on top of my own 4 to hand it on him and I told him that my group didn't participate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vuulu View Post
    I did do their work and handed in a full report of 10 pages on top of my own 4 to hand it on him and I told him that my group didn't participate.
    Without seeing the requirements and the paper itself, if you were expected to hand in 4 pages of the project, yourself, that means the expectation was a 20-page paper. A 10-page paper isn't even close. And if you got 70% on the presentation and 18% on the written, it isn't because you lacked a grasp of the material; there was some other major lack to that paper; if it had been comparable in quality to the presentation, it would have been graded similarly.

I've always been told to come to the professor if there's a problem in group work, and I've had many problems, I hate group projects. Usually, if you show you're working your ass off beforehand to them, and you address the situation, they're more likely to understand and give you what you deserve.

I honestly want to know. Do people really not care about their grades so long as they pass the class? I just think your resume would look better if you can mention that you graduated with honors. Am I wrong on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You can control knowing what they're doing and how much they've got done on the project, and whether they're even going to bother doing it, and if they aren't you go to the prof and explain it and ask him what to do.

No prof will expect you to do the work of 5 people, and I doubt every class they have evenly breaks down to 5-person groups. But saying you'll hand in a 5-person project and handing in 1/5th of it is why you got an 18% on the written report. Even doing a half-assed one-man attempt at the full thing would have probably earned you a 60%. Especially if you'd gone to see your prof about the problem.

And again; even having a reasonable grade going into a final project worth 20%, you could have gotten 0 on the whole thing and still passed. Your poor work in the rest of the course is a solid contributor to your failing grade.
    Because I'm sure every 5 class taking student is capable of being even remotely able to do the work of 5 other people. On top of that, if they bailed late in the term, there's literally nothing he could do but talk to his proff. and likely get shot down because most professors in the college profession are people that want it their way or the highway, as is most anything in life.

On topic, that sucks dude, I'd go talk to student services or other departments in your college to try and get things settled out, your case is not a unique one, but it's not uncommon.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Can people stop with the "omg 50% is easy, you slacker" comments?

Unless you actually know what his university is like, the actual percentage is meaningless. In the university I went to the % needed to pass was 50 aswell. In my class 40% didn't make it through the first year, and for those that did the avarage score across all courses was 58%. Albert Einstein couldn't get the 80-90% you people seem to be expecting.

So I'll repeat myself: Unless you actually know what his university is like, the actual percentage is meaningless.

I was the only one to show up for the presentation and ontop of the written report I had to make a powerpoint of 20 slides. Maybe i do deserve to redo the class just have to see what he says to the emails.

I'm assuming that you had little to no relationship with that teacher? As an educator of almost 15 years, I've yet to meet a teacher who wouldn't give that .18% to any student who seemed to really give a damn.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." --Oscar Gamble 79 Yankees

Ok let's do the math then.

You stated that 20% of your grade was the final group presentation. To make that simple let's say the class was out of 1000 pts. That means the final presentation is 200pts. Even if you got a 75% for the rest of the class ( 600/800 pts) and got a 0 on your group presentation you still would have got a 60% in the class, so blaming the group project is you just making excuses.

As many others have said, YOU failed the class, not the teacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Because I'm sure every 5 class taking student is capable of being even remotely able to do the work of 5 other people. On top of that, if they bailed late in the term, there's literally nothing he could do but talk to his proff. and likely get shot down because most professors in the college profession are people that want it their way or the highway, as is most anything in life.
    And one of the life lessons that college/university teaches you is "life isn't fair" and "learn to manage your time and efforts".

The OP was at risk of failing for this project because he was practically failing out to begin with.

Oh, and OP; it strikes me that you said you "told [the prof] they didn't participate". If you meant you told him that when you handed it in, well, that's not going to help you one bit. You needed to speak to him when you learned it was a problem, not when it was too late to address the issue.

Something one of my professors said in one of my freshman classes that stuck with me:

"I don't "give" you a grade. I report to the registrar the grade that you earned."

Your situation sucks, but there were a lot of things you couldn't have done. If you ended up with 3 group members dropping the course and 1 not helping, you should have let your instructor know immediately so that he could either put you with another group, or adjust the expectations of your assignment to be doable with a smaller group. If you're doing the project by yourself at the last minute, it's your own fault that you didn't take care of it earlier - and that's more true the longer you had to do the assignment. I'd venture a guess that if it's 20% of your grade, it wasn't something you were expected to do in 1 evening.

Next time, don't put the assignment off until the last second.

People, in college, professors can set whatever grade scale they like to letter grades. You're all so missing the point.

OP the circumstances are shitty and he should give you a pass, but the numbers themselves are sort of irrelevant. For any grade scale, there's going to be sharp discrete cutoff points, even ones that include rounding. If 50% is passing, even if he rounded to the nearest five percent, a 45.0% would still be passing and 44.999999999% would be failing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea it is 50% to pass the class to pass the program you have to get a average of 60% mine is 74% this is my lowest class by far.

- - - Updated - - -

Too be honest i cant control 4 of my members not doing any work i had to do all their work while doing my other 5 classes.
    You should call them constantly and be as annoying as you could be, because their fails is yours too, it's called teamwork. I hope you learned from your mistake

It wasn't for .18%, it was for the 50.18% you didn't get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ91 View Post
    Can people stop with the "omg 50% is easy, you slacker" comments?

Unless you actually know what his university is like, the actual percentage is meaningless. In the university I went to the % needed to pass was 50 aswell. In my class 40% didn't make it through the first year, and for those that did the avarage score across all courses was 58%. Albert Einstein couldn't get the 80-90% you people seem to be expecting.

So I'll repeat myself: Unless you actually know what his university is like, the actual percentage is meaningless.
    As one of those doing so, my first year in Engineering, they proudly told us that Thermodynamics had a 60% failure rate the first year students took it. Brutal class. Badly taught. And one reason I switched majors.

Those 60% still failed because they didn't put in the effort. This is one of the biggest realizations about college; nobody gives two shits about you any more, unless you make them notice that you're worth giving a shit about. If you fail, they don't care; they have your tuition, and you're wasting their time, so why should they? If you're willing to step up and make a solid effort, it means a world of difference.

Speaking as someone who has both failed out of school and turned that around to entering grad school next year. I failed because I was young, stupid, and fucked up. I got my shit together, and I'm doing much better. I'm speaking of direct personal experience, not some higher-than-thou bullshit.

Ahhhhh hahahahahhahahaha...

<ahem>

You received what you earned. No one failed you but yourself, and I for one am quite glad you failed. I wish more people who were deserving of failure did so.

Deleted
    For the rage war starting over passing grade percentages. In My university (Regent's, London, england) it's 40%. Sit back and relax.......
    Although I agree with most people here, it's most likely your fault. If you had enough time you should of been able to do it yourself. If not you should of explained it to him. If I told mmy teacher something like that when I go to turn it in, she'd tell me to go suck an egg.

There should have been talks with your professor well before this 20% project if bombing it caused you to fail. The problem of the failure started well before this lone project.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Ahhhhh hahahahahhahahaha...

<ahem>

You received what you earned. No one failed you but yourself, and I for one am quite glad you failed. I wish more people who were deserving of failure did so.
    I could agree more with you, seems to me alot of people like to believe they're worth more than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As one of those doing so, my first year in Engineering, they proudly told us that Thermodynamics had a 60% failure rate the first year students took it. Brutal class. Badly taught. And one reason I switched majors.

Those 60% still failed because they didn't put in the effort. This is one of the biggest realizations about college; nobody gives two shits about you any more, unless you make them notice that you're worth giving a shit about. If you fail, they don't care; they have your tuition, and you're wasting their time, so why should they? If you're willing to step up and make a solid effort, it means a world of difference.

Speaking as someone who has both failed out of school and turned that around to entering grad school next year. I failed because I was young, stupid, and fucked up. I got my shit together, and I'm doing much better. I'm speaking of direct personal experience, not some higher-than-thou bullshit.
    I agree. And I don't have enough information to determine if the OP deserved to fail or not.

That doesn't make all the "If you had 80% on the other stuff you would have passed" posts any less retarded.