Thread: Challenge Mode

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Challenge Mode

I never done one. Which one is the easyest and which is most popular and why??

I would say scarlet halls is the most generous time-wise, they all have some reasonably tricky pulls, but a few stuns and cooldowns sort that out, once you get your cooldown rotations sorted you'll fly through them with really any group comp. I would say it's a good place to start.

The video guides by Aftermath on youtube are nicely paced and well detailed too, definitely give those a look before you go.

This is all assuming you're going for golds, if you just want to have some fun, go in blind and see for yourself

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I started with Temple of the Jade Serpent. In general, its fairly easy, with nothing too major. The biggest cause for concern I had with it was the adds up to the first boss, other that it's pretty simple. Shado-Pan Monastery is fairly cool as well, first pull and Sha Boss can be painful, but It has a massive timer that gives you some leeway IMO.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

mogushan palance, Monastery and siege were the only ones that took slightly more than a couple attempts so I would say those are the hardest and those should be your last options if you're trying to go from easiest > hardest.

I don't know if they've patched the LoS in Gate of The Setting Sun, but it was super zzz mode when I did it.

Scholomance is the most generous time-wise, affording groups almost 1 hour to achieve a bronze medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakefan View Post
    I never done one. Which one is the easyest and which is most popular and why??
    I always found that scarlet halls and gate of the setting sun were the easiest to start building group synergy with.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    I always found that scarlet halls and gate of the setting sun were the easiest to start building group synergy with.
    After getting 8/9 r1 cm times I must say Jade is probably the easiest. And I rank the scarlet instances to be one of the harder ones. Gate is a joke once you get past the first part with the bombs too. But I would absolutly start with either Scholo or Jade.

Monastery time for gold is really forgiving, jade temple is quite easy

Gate is a good first one because it's short and you can really ensure a good time by pulling the entire starting area(pre-boss 1) and killing it. If you die to bombs or from the mobs, just restart the dungeon and go again. The rest of the packs you can pretty much pull 1-2 at a time and be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shado-pan Monastery isn't hard. it is long and tedious however. Siege of Niuzao is fun, the 2nd boss makes or breaks it and has some insanely fun pulls (3rd boss).

Scarlet Monastery is by far the hardest. it has the most management of them all and a fairly steep timer. when we started on challenge modes, myself and my guild started on this one. everything else is a breeze (apart from before mentioned shade-pan Monastery due to its tedious length)

from easiest to hardest i'd say;
    temple of the jade serpent (seriously nothing special, just use the invis potion before the 2nd boss trash until the crane trash and everything else per normal)
    Scholomance (last boss can be a bit annoying. just stack up and AoE the crap out of any adds. the bone weaver trash can be a hard pull if you LoS pull em and got a tank with few AoE's)
    Gate of the setting sun (the only hard part is the first trash before the boss, we split it up in 2 pulls 1 of 6(7?) and 1 of 3 mobs. everything else is like Heroic)
    Scarlet Halls (putting this here because of the annoying shit with the dog meat. god i hate it. just throw bucket. wait for dogs to leap, than hit the mob once to get credit. ow, and running out to reset the bow guy is quicker than killing the guy at the right with dog meat + last pack before 2nd boss)
    Mogu'Shan palace (bloodlust on the first 2 mobs + the following trash pack (skip the patrol). for boss 2, CC de Hexxer, kill the oracle first and keep it interrupted by 2 DPS while the tank interrupts the iron hide. Oracle -> iron hide -> hexer. kill the sulker with cleave of the boss)
    Siege of Niuzao Temple (first few packs can be a pain, but just keep the amber weavers under control and make sure they die first. everything else is fairly simple. just use the gong on boss 2 to speed it up a bit. don't forget to talk to the guy to start the event!)
    Stormstout Brewery(the gauntlet is annoying as hell with the damn rabbits and the last boss can screw you sideways too if you don't stack up around him properly. save all cool downs for him and pray he's down in 30-40 seconds to save yourself some resetting and annoyance with getting hit by bloat of team members.(it takes some practise))
    Shado-Pan Monastery (not hard, but so long and tedious. make sure you kill 1 sha at a time after boss 1 and kill it before it does its nova attack (instawipe) also, try and get all 3 DPS+healer to cleanse the corpse AT THE SAME TIME to get 4/4 for the cleanse right away. just let the tank LoS poll the mobs back to the Sha room so they don't get death gripped to him)
    Scarlet Monastery(this was probably hardest for me, because we started on it and we weren't used to what we were supposed to be doing. AoE pull the 2 neutrals together with the pack of 5 after boss 1, use CD's to take em down quick. we killed the pack of 3 after to give our invis pot more time. LoS pull the guys inside the cathedral behind a pillar or outside, whatever works best for you and leave the pack on the left to be killed while fighting the boss. tank to interrupt mass rez. DPS to interrupt the other thingy (forgot the name)

above tactics might not be perfect, definitely not for realm best, but it got us 9/9 gold and most had 1-2 minutes to spare.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

You can wipe several times in Shado-Pan Monastery and still beat the timer.

I'd suggest starting with the dungeons with big first pulls (Gate of the Setting Sun, SPM, Mogu Palace) so all the training would happen before you use invis pots or will be too far into the dungeon. Some of the others are very easy (Siege for example) if your tank knows his job and dps can keep up with him. Others, like Scarlet Monastery or Stormstout Brewery, are simply annoying as all the hardest parts are in the end of the dungeon.
    Last edited by IsrafaelMage; 2014-04-30 at 11:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    You can wipe several times in Shado-Pan Monastery and still beat the timer.
    Yup, but I'd say it's still one of the harder ones. The first and third boss aren't that easy on healers, the trash before the third one can also be challenging. Lots of unavoidable AoE damage in that instance.

It all depends on your comp honestly. With my team (Blood DK, hpala, frost mage, hunter), Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery are both extremely easy due to dk being able to survive at 11+ stacks on the bone boss, and abusing Control Undead to kill the 1st SM boss + Lillian Voss in super quick time. IF we didn't have a DK id probably say Jade Serpent/Scarlet Halls.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Relicra View Post
    Monastery time for gold is really forgiving, jade temple is quite easy
    We also chose Monastery for first time. Good choise.

Easiest for me was Jade Serpent, scarlet Halls, scholomance. Challenge modes really aren't THAT difficult, at least they weren't for me. it's more about having good heals/tank.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Easiest for me was Jade Serpent, scarlet Halls, scholomance. Challenge modes really aren't THAT difficult, at least they weren't for me. it's more about having good heals/tank.
    That's the biggest problem to find a good group

Quote Originally Posted by Grromash View Post
    That's the biggest problem to find a good group
    For golds its finding a dedicated group thats the hardest. It sucks to try and do them when you have to constantly find new players. 9/9 is really fun and you dont have to be an allstar to do it you just have to find people willing to put in the time to get it.

When i did mine a year or so ago i was lucky enough to have the same 5 people (except for a different tank just for one night) for all of them.

Sometimes you have to remind them that you aren't trying for realm best times...just a gold stamp.
    Last edited by Theholypally; 2014-05-01 at 06:05 AM.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

10+ Year Old Account
    My first one was SSB. Was rough as hell. I'd definitely say SH is the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.