View Poll Results: Are false accusations of racism too prevalent?

Voters
12. This poll is closed
  • They are too prevalent.

10 83.33%
  • They are prevalent as much as they should be.

2 16.67%
  • They aren't prevalent enough.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are false accusations of racism too prevalent in society?

It seems like “racist” is thrown around an awful lot these days. Often times thewe claims are false and are made for the sole purpose of poltical gain; it's easier to call someone a "racist,” than it is to counter their arguments. Not only does this hurt perfectly innocent people, but it also detracts away from legitimate racism and devalues the term. Even things that have nothing to do with race are now being called “racist.”

Do you believe that false accusations of racism are too prevalent in America and/or Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Often times thewe claims are false and are made for the sole purpose of poltical gain
    [Citation Needed]
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even things that have nothing to do with race are now being called “racist.”
    Can you give an example? The only times I see this is if its A) Sarcasm or B) They don't understand what racism means, confusing it was classism or nationalism.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

A false accusation of racism likeeee? This isn't an every day occurrence.

I find that this is mostly a problem for people that are actually racist and don't acknowledge it. There are certain times when it is ridiculous, such as the Stephen Colbert "Ching Chong" thing but in the end I'd say racism is still enough of a problem that there are far more true claims than false.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see people complain about supposedly false accusations of racism more than actual accusations of racism. I get the sense that Europeans tend to be more incensed over this since things like verbal or sentimental racism is criminalized in many of your countries (such as Germany) under various hate speech statutes. The United States typically does not have that problem, and so white people here seem to not complain about minorities using the racism card as often.

I'll tell you what's too prevalent.

Really badly-constructed polls that have every response choice loaded with built-in bias.

Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Can you give an example? The only times I see this is if its A) Sarcasm or B) They don't understand what racism means, confusing it was classism or nationalism.
    “I support a system of well regulated immigration.”
    “That's racist!”

“I'm a libertarian (or conservative).”
    “Oh my god, stop being so racist!”

“I think the European Union has several flaws within it's poltical structure.”
    "You oppose the EU? That's racist!"

“That's racist!”

Those are not examples. Those are paranoia-fueled delusions pulled out of your ass...

10+ Year Old Account
    “That's racist!”

I've never in my life heard any of these statements/arguments, or anything even remotely close. I doubt anyone has ever said these things. Is this something on the forums someone said? can you link it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

False accusations of racism aren't too prevalent enough!

“That's racist!”

The first one is a keystone of dogwhsitle politics.

The second one often leads to states' rights, which is another keystone of dogwhistle politics. It's fine on its own.

The third one I don't know anything about, so I didn't quote it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Racists and victim-complex racists are far too prevalent in modern society. This is 2014 not 1914.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Yep, when one calls it racism and/or phobia when you don't agree with an ideology it's gone too far.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    See: Opposing islam due to not agreeing with its values.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2014-04-30 at 04:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Racists and victim-complex racists are far too prevalent in modern society. This is 2014 not 1914.
    Additionally, it's the 21st century, not the 12th. And it's 21st CE, not BCE.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    “I want to deport all those damn Mexicans cause they're stealing our jobs and voting for the Democrats even though I have no proof of this.”
    “That's racist!”

“I'm a libertarian (or conservative) who pushes inherently anti-minority legilsation.”

“I like to create situations that don't actually happen as sensationalism and I have a victim complex.”
    "Yes, you do."
    *Wipes hands against each other* Well my work here is done. All fixed.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

“That's racist!”

Really.... You know what's too prevalent? People claiming false accusations of racism are too prevalent. I see "non-racists" screaming about how everything they do is racism A LOT more than I see anyone actually calling people racist. Your examples are outrageously ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think your threads are too prevalent on this forum.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I think your threads are too prevalent on this forum.
    Can we have a poll on this?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The first one is a keystone of dogwhsitle politics.

The second one often leads to states' rights, which is another keystone of dogwhistle politics. It's fine on its own.

The third one I don't know anything about, so I didn't quote it.
    That's rather silly, you're assuming people are racist based on a perfectly non-racist statement. One could use that same argument agaijst just about any statement.

"I believe in abortion rights."
    "So you love murdering babies? You're anti-children!”

See how ridiculous that is?