View Poll Results: Is fat-shaming good for society?

Voters
550. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

174 31.64%
  • No, never.

376 68.36%
Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    No, as I said fat shaming is wrong. But acting like there is nothing wrong about being obese is just as bad if not worse.

So you are free to fix my grammar and tell me when I'm doing stuff wrong as long you don't act like a cunt when you do. But judging from your post you are more judgmental then most of the people here.
    Probably affected by the OP lol

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    You've got a very wrong view on what a good trait is. No matter what you might have read on the internet, being lazy is in no way imaginable good.
    I disagree. Laziness can be quite a good motivator for efficiency. In fact, all efficiency is the result of someone being lazy, and intelligent about it.

Anyway, to the topic at hand:
    There are certain exceptions. The whole 'proud to be fat'-crowd can do with some shaming, in my opinion. But that is an exception to the rule.
    In general, people are fat because they eat too much. And mostly too much in the way of carbs; addictive stuff. Shaming them will make them feel bad. And feeling bad will make people want to take comfort. And comfort is exactly the thing people get from eating loads of sugar. So when you fat-shame someone, you're actually contributing to their obesity rather than motivating them to become healthier.

No, we are not. If a horse breaks a leg, it dies. If we break a leg, it heals rather quickly.
    Believe what you will, but the human body truly is the pinnacle of evolution on Earth.
    That is directly due to intelligence. Horses that break legs generally get put down, they don't outright die. In the Wild they would though due to lack of mobility.

The same would go for Humans, If we were in Africa surrounded by Lions and we broke our Leg and didn't have the intelligence to bandage and make a crutch we would become prey just as fast.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Probably affected by the OP lol
    That makes sense :P

Deleted
    No, we are not. If a horse breaks a leg, it dies. If we break a leg, it heals rather quickly.
    Believe what you will, but the human body truly is the pinnacle of evolution on Earth.
    Ever wonder what happened to humans who's wounds got infected before we had medicine to the capacity of what we have now? They died, quite horribly in-fact.

The human body has developed a great capacity for intelligence, we are beaten in speed, healing abilities (just look at worms and starfish), strength, ability to survive in harsh environments (intelligence acts as an equalizer to that).

It's costing health care a lot just because people can't control their eating habits. I'd say it's a pretty serious concern.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/he...1.9748884.html
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...systems-money/

Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    You can be Healthy without being absurdly Slim.
    Whereas there is no clear advantageous reason to be Fat, meaning Yes people can Judge me and other Fat people if they want since we are Lazy.
    You can be a little bulky and yet again, healthy.

Also, laziness is not a mortal sin. And again, you're not some kind of a Messiah judge to tell people what is correct and what is not. If you want to be a shiny whiteknight and change the world like some freaking mary terese, do it by actual helping. Shaming is idiotic, wrong, abusive and leads only to anticipation of whatever you originally intended to do. After all, its people's personality that matters, not weight.

10+ Year Old Account

So what you are saying is, more people should get fat as fuck and then die, so we do not spend as much on them when they get older. Got it.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post

Also, laziness is not a mortal sin. And again, you're not some kind of a Messiah judge to tell people what is correct and what is not. If you want to be a shiny whiteknight and change the world like some freaking mary terese, do it by actual helping. Shaming is idiotic, wrong, abusive and leads only to anticipation of whatever you originally intended to do. After all, its people's personality that matters, not weight.
    Don't judge me for my ability to judge people! Wait wat.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

OP is asshole. Stop being asshole and go kill yourself OP. Does it work ?
    By shaming fat people you are simply as annoing as vegetarians, ya they way of eating is more healthy but i like my meat :P
    It might be news to some, but fat ppl know they are fat and they either accept it because they like pizza more than runing or they try to change it, your nagging wont change much except making you look likje asshole :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post

I think we are talking about really obese people, not people who are somewhat overweight (like me).

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no "white knight messiah" about wanting people to be in shape. I would never go up to an overweight person and be like "YOU FAT BRO!" but I do not condone there terrible lifestyle either. that is not an opinion. If you are extremely overweight, you are living a bad lifestyle.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    So what you are saying is, more people should get fat as fuck and then die, so we do not spend as much on them when they get older. Got it.
    What I am saying is that healthy people do not decrease healthcare cost long term. Everything else is you want me to say.

It's costing health care a lot just because people can't control their eating habits. I'd say it's a pretty serious concern.
    This! And, like I give a fuck what its costing those paying for their healthcare. Laws will change again. My tax dollars when I make them won't pay for someones bypass. Furthermore, if they don't change, I'm planning on chain smoking 3 packs a day and going to Mcdonalds for Dinner every night. When I become a tax paying citizen, and I have to pay for a healthcare tax, I wanna get my money's worth. Otherwise, it's not a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I disagree. Laziness can be quite a good motivator for efficiency. In fact, all efficiency is the result of someone being lazy, and intelligent about it.

Anyway, to the topic at hand:
    There are certain exceptions. The whole 'proud to be fat'-crowd can do with some shaming, in my opinion. But that is an exception to the rule.
    In general, people are fat because they eat too much. And mostly too much in the way of carbs; addictive stuff. Shaming them will make them feel bad. And feeling bad will make people want to take comfort. And comfort is exactly the thing people get from eating loads of sugar. So when you fat-shame someone, you're actually contributing to their obesity rather than motivating them to become healthier.
    Treating these people with kid gloves hasn't worked thus we need to employ more drastic measures to keep the fat wave at bay. Maybe investing in some TV adverts to improve education or even adding health warnings to junk food like we see with smoking.

Deleted
    I think it is totally wrong to shame someone for whatever addiction they have.
    If you really want to help someone to lose their addiction, shaming is not the solution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    Ever wonder what happened to humans who's wounds got infected before we had medicine to the capacity of what we have now? They died, quite horribly in-fact.

The human body has developed a great capacity for intelligence, we are beaten in speed, healing abilities (just look at worms and starfish), strength, ability to survive in harsh environments (intelligence acts as an equalizer to that).
    Yes, but the reason we're beaten in different measures by different animals is because we're a jack of all trades. We're extremely versatile. We might not be the fastest or strongest but put together our thumbs, strength, speed, intelligence, healing capabilities, eyesight, hearing etc. etc. makes us the current pinnacle of evolution. Long before technology and medicine humans populated all corners of the world in extremely different environments and climates.

10+ Year Old Account
    As was already said..you do not shame someone. If they want to be fat as a freaking land manatee, let them. yeah they will die young most likely, and in general half a less then healthy life, but what can you do?
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Same reason calling someone stupid to motivate them to get smart.

It doesn't work, and its harmful.

Next question.
    You can't really compare intelligence with an unhealthy lifestyle.
    Yes, there are people that have a genetic predisposition to get a bit chunkier more easily.

But morbid obesity and being unhealthily overweight are NOT "afflictions", they are simply wrong lifestyles. It is in part due to our money-grubbing society that needs to sell unhealthy products to an ignorant populace, and then proceeds to make money of the healthcare system when this populace suffers the effects.

But you also cannot ignore the rather large responsibility someone has for his- or herself. Blaming the media or one's upbringing will only go so far.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that fast food and no exercise, or drinking sugary sodas instead of water 6 times a day, will lead to massive obesity.

"Shaming" someone isn't the right answer either, however. Unlike alcohol or cigarettes which are pure addictions and often harm others in your environment, being overweight is more of a personal risk and carries a certain social stigma with it. It isn't "cool" to overeat or be lazy. Quite the opposite with smoking and drinking, among teenagers.

As another poster said, fostering an environment that propagates awareness of nutrition and exercise is the better approach.

As for the "health" problems like thyroid etc...yes, they are a popular excuse to do nothing, basically. I've seen it myself many times. US society in general offers many excuses to overweight people, because it's easier to keep profiting off the cheap food and expensive healthcare market than to take a hard look at the root causes and flaws in the way Americans eat and survive, or what is in fact wrong with everyone being forced to own a car instead of actually moving.