Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Flexing your abs is NOT an ab workout. 4-5 day splits are dumb for beginners.
    It's done wonders for my abs. My friend told me he does it when he works out and often not never has to do to many ab workouts and this guy is huge and I mean huge.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    So Im a pretty skinny dude and Ive been working out for a few weeks, doing the p90x workout to try and better bulk up/get in shape. My problem is my only goal right now is to gain muscle and gain some size and it feels like a lot of this program is focused on losing weight rather than purely building muscle.

So my question is what is the best way to go about purely gaining muscle and size without caring about endurance or weight loss? Are things like Yoga, Plyometrics, etc really necessary to hit this goal? I dont mind doing leg workout stuff but my goal is purely upper body how often do I need to do leg workouts if at all? How important is diet for this? And what should I be eating that isnt too expensive? (like Ive heard eggs are a good option)

Thnx

And for those who dont know the p90x workout is basically
    Day 1) Chest/Back/Abs
    Day 2) Plyometrics
    Day 3) Shoulder/Bicep/Tricep/Abs
    Day 4) Yoga
    Day 5) Leg/Back/Abs
    Day 6) Kenpo (its kinda like punching/jump rope type exercises)
    Day 7) Rest

If you can find things I can cut or add to better reach my personal goal I am all ears
    I started out with a 4 Day Split:

Monday - Chest & Biceps
    Tuesday - Legs
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Shoulders and ABS
    Friday - Back & Triceps

Shitty way to start, but I put on about 6 kg in half a year. A 4-Day-Split is the better alternative for people who've been bodybuilding about 3 years.
    A much better way to start with is a 2-Day-Split,here my training routine:

Day 1: Push:
    Bench press 3 Sets á 8 reps
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 2 Sets á 8 Reps
    Incline Dumbbell Butterfly 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Dumbbell Military Press 2 Sets á 8 Reps
    Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Dips 2 Sets á 8 Reps
    Triceps Pushdowns 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Squats 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Leg extension 3 Sets á 8 Reps

Day 2: Pull:
    Deadlifts 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Broad Pull Ups 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Close Grip Seated Cable Row 2 Sets á 8 Reps
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl 2 Sets á 8 Reps
    EZ Bar Biceps Curl 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Leg Curl 3 Sets á 8 Reps
    Calf Raise 3 Sets á 8 Reps

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Day 1

Day 5: Day 2

Day 6: Rest

Day 7: Rest

And to build mass you have to eat enough. You need to have a proper amount of your macronutritients (carbs, protein, and fat) and your overall consumtion of calories per day should be around 200 calories above your required intake. Search for a website where you can calculate it, it will help you a lot.
    And the most important thing: MOTIVATION.

Get on a routine (ANY routine that will let you hit each muscle group at least twice a week, and has some sort of progression ie add 5lbs to all your lifts every time you go in the gym)
    Workout how much calories you're gonna burn a day (google TDEE calculator, input data and voila, you'll get a ballpark of how much your body burns)
    Eat above how much your body burns.
    In terms of body composition, there is no such thing as "clean" food.
    Choosing minimally processed foods is still a preferred way to make up the bulk of your diet but remember that 2000 calories of pizza is going to be the same as 2000 calories of a chicken caesar salad (assuming the protein/fat/carb make-up is the same).
    If your body burns 2000 calories a day, and you're eating over that, you'll gain fat. No ifs and buts about it. But eating slightly over 2000 calories will minimize fat gain. Eating well over 2000 (I eat 5000 calories these days) will add the fat on quicker but maximize your fat and strength gains.
    Rest.
    BE CONSISTENT. DO NOT EXPECT RESULTS OVERNIGHT

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Kvatch View Post
    It's done wonders for my abs. My friend told me he does it when he works out and often not never has to do to many ab workouts and this guy is huge and I mean huge.
    The broscience is strong in this one.
    Does he use a bowflex as well? Or a shakeweight?
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Skinny==Eat your brains out (Healthfully of course)
    Work your brains out (Safely of course)
    Profit.

Ya , eat as much as possible, eat meats like beef, chicken, they have to be lean.
    If you do eat a lot, do cardio and exercise, if you go out a lot that's fine too.
    Drink proteins help you gain body mass.

Will be missed ~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    True.

Untrue. Although I can't blame you for thinking this, seeing as though there's so much bullshit about the issue on the web, and being spewed by "professionals." Also, you might want to remember that we're talking about an already skinny guy, with no fat to begin with.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/planet3.htm
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/mu...an_Protein.php
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Build-Musc...cle&id=1230609

Could we agree that next time you feel like you need to elevate yourself by being rude, you'll have at least a rudimentary understanding of the issue at hand? Great, thanks.
    I never said he needs "no fat". Essential fats are important, like the ones in nuts etc. However for muscle to grow you need protein, hence the name protein synthesis. You are telling the guy to get some fats without even mentioning protein.

Walking and jogging for dexterous control?

Yeah i´m the clueless one. Maybe you should read some more.

You are telling the guy to get some fats without even mentioning protein.
    Well, there's a new nutritional cult on the block with regard to this sort of crap. There was a Runner's World post I saw on Facebook where they asked a bunch of elites what they eat before a race and they all basically said some variation of pasta or rice and protein. Multiple people chimed in to say that high fat diets are where it's at. Can you imagine being so fucking delusional that your nutritional tips are necessary in the context of "correcting" what people that run 2:05 marathons are saying? It boggles the damned mind! There's a new high fat cult on the block, and they're going to be as loud and irritating as the vegans and and the old school anti-fat people.

(Note: I'm not against dietary fats in any way. Balance and moderation here. Salmon, fatty meats, all good stuff. Just irritated by weirdos that have oddly specific advice that has no evidential basis.)

Deleted
    I am having a similar problem like the OP. I am doing a 3 split chest / back , legs , shoulders / arms, mon wed fr, i eat a lot of rice / noodles /tuna /chicken / shakes. i feel like i am building, but its a slow progress. still like drinking too much haha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Julosch View Post
    I am having a similar problem like the OP. I am doing a 3 split chest / back , legs , shoulders / arms, mon wed fr, i eat a lot of rice / noodles /tuna /chicken / shakes. i feel like i am building, but its a slow progress. still like drinking too much haha
    I seriously would recommend 5x5 SS to begin with. It makes you improve so much faster than every group once a week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantJB View Post
    train no longer than 1 hour (testosterone levels will drop), try your best to hit the gym with intensity and focus and you'll see progress.
    That's broscience though. The worst that can happen is that your cortisol levels will rise, but that's nothing you should really worry about as long as you don't have that much stress in your daily life.

Stopped reading advice at "avoid stupid exercises like yoga" - With advice like this... my advice is to avoid advice from people on the internet.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Not training to failure video was really nothing worth watching. Not taking advice from a kid who weighs a buck fifty.

Deleted
    I never said he needs "no fat". Essential fats are important, like the ones in nuts etc. However for muscle to grow you need protein, hence the name protein synthesis. You are telling the guy to get some fats without even mentioning protein.
    I never said "no protein" either. Protein in your diet is pretty much a given, it shouldn't have to be mentioned.

Deleted
    I never said "no protein" either. Protein in your diet is pretty much a given, it shouldn't have to be mentioned.
    When you give advice to a beginner, something like
    If you're skinny, you'll need something for the muscle tissue to grow from. You need fats (the right kind) for muscle to grow properly
    while not mentioning protein seems kind of iffy to me. You make it sound like fats is what makes his muscles grow, wich is just plain wrong.

Deleted
    You make it sound like fats is what makes his muscles grow
    I have no control over how you "hear" things.

Deleted
    I have no control over how you "hear" things.
    Lol it was a direct quote from you saying fats make muscles grow.

Deleted
    Lol it was a direct quote from you saying fats make muscles grow.
    Why do you need to resort to blatant lies? I mean, you can clearly read, and I'm guessing you can comprehend the language, so the only thing I can think of for you spewing that bullshit is that you're simply straight up lying.

What I said was this:

You need fats (the right kind) for muscle to grow properly.
    See the operative word there? Properly. To which you then reply:

He needs protein not fats.
    I'll just leave out the insult from the end. Then, once I've schooled you in the matter a bit, you backtrack and say:

I never said he needs "no fat". Essential fats are important, like the ones in nuts etc.
    Which is exactly what I was saying. Simply using the phrase "it's a direct quote" doesn't mean you're actually quoting me directly, especially when you clearly haven't even understood what has been said. Truth be told, I was sick of looking at John Goodman's - who I personally find annoying and disgusting - face anyway, so I'm guessing I'll flip the switch and make the face disappear right now.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-06-13 at 05:18 AM.

What a pointless argument. The number of people that are doing everything right for hypertrophy but just aren't eating enough fat is basically zero.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any reccomendation on protein shakes? Certain brands more respected than others?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Any reccomendation on protein shakes? Certain brands more respected than others?
    Buy powder and mix with water or milk. Don't buy the super overpriced premixed stuff, unless you're rich.