Deleted

Explosive Despair

We're currently doing garrosh heroic on 10 man and I'm trying to figure out the values on explosive despair. We're starting to dip our feet into p3 and I'm wondering if it's something that needs to be considered much/at all. I know on normal mode it's 100% irrelevant but it seems like it might be more of a factor here? Especially given that we're employing a 1 tank strategy.

If you're solo tanking it, you definitely want to be calling out when it's about to go off and use a raid CD with it.

The first explosion is pretty small and comes during a time you're blanketing with raid CDs and personals anyway. The second you'll want a mitigation cd like barrier or smokebomb, but it should come as Garrosh is transitioning- you shouldn't hit the 2nd p2 EWC with 1 tank. If you work out the values, note that it's actually 50% of the DOT damage instead of all of it (at least that's what i remember).
    Brewmaster Icy-Veins Guide Writer

Depending on your strategy. if you one tank then first explosion will, most likely, just need to be topped of and even then it won't hurt THAT much, but for other one you will need raid cd.
    If you two tank and switch at 3 stacks then you just need to be topped of. Of course if you see that shit hit the fan and for example a healer is mced, there are still adds or someone is dangerously low and you wont manage to heal him up, then sure, use personal/raid cd.
    I won't be able to tell you the actual values, but a good number to aim for is to always have atleast 300k hp.

Deleted
    First explosion comes during the 1st whirl. It's an extra 150k damage or so, so not a huge threat but adds to the whirl damage. Second explosion comes as Garrosh is transitioning, and it's 600k+ or so depending on how close to the whirl you transition. You'll want to stack up and use defensive cooldowns. If you get a 2nd whirl, you're almost guaranteed to wipe from the explosion+whirl damage.

Deleted
    I suspected as much. We run with a DK dps so AMZ should be easymode for it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of solo tanking or duo tanking, the explosion that takes place in P3 following the first EWC is peanuts. Doesn't matter if it's 7 stacks from solo tanking, or if you're splitting with two tanks with 4/3.

The one that hurts is if you have a second EWC. On heroic this shouldn't happen with current gear levels, but if it happens you can still win. First EWC in this case should probably be one raid CD, and the second EWC in P3 should be absolutely everything you have.

The damage done by despair for the first EWC is really low though. The only time we ever have people die is because they get hit by the purple void zone that does 400k damage.

Since no one's given actual values yet, Explosive Despair does half of 1 tick's damage to everyone. When 1-tanking, you only get 2 explosions:

First happens during EWC 1 at 7 stacks. It'll do 157500 damage to everyone (7*45000/2). It's not bad, in fact it's almost exactly as much as that explosion does while 2-tanking, it's just extra damage to keep in mind during EWC 1.

The second happens at the end of the phase or during EWC 2. You have 7 stacks of the debuff so it does 210% more damage, or just under 70k per stack on the tank. If that happens during EWC 2, the tank will have ~11-12 stacks and you'll have about 800k damage hitting everyone during a whirl... so don't get a second whirl. If you phase at 10 stacks or less, it's no worse than an iron star, and considering the only source of raid damage anywhere near it is a desecrate, it pretty much doesn't matter.

TL;DR: 1-tanking means you almost certainly wipe to a 2nd EWC in p3, but explosive despair is still completely trivial.