Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still using XP here, can't afford to upgrade. I realize I'm walking on a precipice.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    No. "Not safe at all" means that now, and going forward, it's going to get continually worse. As I said, it won't explode, but it's taking a larger and larger risk every day.

Chrome and Firefox working (this is different from supporting) XP has nothing to do with XP's security. See also: Straw Man
    See also: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...-laggards-too/
    Microsoft has released an emergency update for all recent Windows operating systems—including the recently decommissioned XP
    Anything more to say?..
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Anything more to say?..
    I'm not sure what you're trying to point out, exactly. Again, a straw man argument. You're trying to say that "XP is safe" because Internet Explorer got patched. That's like saying that Honda's that randomly catch on fire due to an engine fault are now safe because they changed tire brands.

They didn't patch XP. They patched IE6-11, 6-8 is the highest XP can use. Way to not read the article, though.

If you really want to dig for things that aren't there, you could say that Windows XP is so insecure, even Microsoft can't let it go completely to the wild.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to point out, exactly. Again, a straw man argument. You're trying to say that "XP is safe" because Internet Explorer got patched. That's like saying that Honda's that randomly catch on fire due to an engine fault are now safe because they changed tire brands.

They didn't patch XP. They patched IE6-11, 6-8 is the highest XP can use. Way to not read the article, though.

If you really want to dig for things that aren't there, you could say that Windows XP is so insecure, even Microsoft can't let it go completely to the wild.
    But having patch deployment tied to its dependent vulnerable browser just makes SO much sense!
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    As someone who works in IT, I would urge you to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible. Hell get 8.1 if you want. XP isn't going to be fully supported anymore, they may patch small things because they can't completely ignore their old system but they gave us a good 6 months to prepare for a hefty reduction in support and maintenance.

Also for the love of God do not;

- Do any online banking or ANYTHING you deem important
    - Do NOT use Internet Explorer, besides the fact it's utterly fucking shite it's older versions that work on XP only (up to IE8 I believe?) will be receiving reduced support and maintenance as well.
    - Do NOT slack on your anti-virus if you're planning on staying with XP.

I understand XP has been around for awhile and people have become accustomed to it, but be serious for a few moments; what do you like about XP? Everything in XP can be done in Windows 7 and once you've learned the basics a lot of it comes naturally. Things are moved about a tiny bit which admittedly is a pain in the ass from an IT Support point of view... (grumble) But all I can say is as soon as you have the funds for Win7 or Win8.1 (8.1 because the fucking touch screen bullshit is ineffecient on a non-touch screen device.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    As someone who works in IT, I would urge you to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible. Hell get 8.1 if you want.
    I hear you loud and clear, the only barrier is money.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I hear you loud and clear, the only barrier is money.
    If you really don't have a 7 license I have 15 home premium licenses from a batch of refurbs that had two COA's on them. Message me if you need it.

Deleted
    I'm confused, what does an OS have to do with internet security?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beNN View Post
    You do realize that 'internet' has more to do than just web browsers... right? Your computer (and the OS it runs on) connects to the internet.. If its insecure, bad things happen.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Most of those pesky updates that force you to reboot your computer from time to time try to the patch security holes that allow malicious code to be inserted into your computer without your knowledge using vulnerabilities in the operating system. Some malware can actually turn off your antivirus and firewall.

E: Here's some examples: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...b5fe0219892ea6
    Last edited by mmoc58ad131b44; 2014-05-03 at 01:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    Most of those pesky updates that force you to reboot your computer from time to time try to the patch security holes that allow malicious code to be inserted into your computer without your knowledge using vulnerabilities in the operating system. Some malware can actually turn off your antivirus and firewall.
    I don't get any updates C:

Regardless I will always be of the opinion that if you have half a brain you won't get viruses that will do any actual damage to your machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you just.. installed windows XP and never got an update after that? Kinda doubt it...

Regardless I will always be of the opinion that if you have half a brain you won't get viruses that will do any actual damage to your machine.
    Thats the thing. You don't have to 'do' anything for security problems. You can literally turn on your computer, have no programs running.. If its connected to the internet, stuff can happen. No matter how 'smart' you might be about not going to shady websites, that is not protection. "Abstinence" is not effective when it comes to computers. Outside of never connecting to the internet, ever, or just leaving the computer off.. You aren't protected just by 'being smart'. People don't realize that 90% of system security happens at the OS level. Another 8% or so with actual active security (virus scanner, malware scanner, etc), and another 2% of being smart.

Nobody talks about that 90% layer because its something that there is no discussion about. Just like there isn't debate on whether you should wear a seatbelt or not.

Deleted

You know that fresh, unpatched install of XP can get infected within minutes if connected to Internet without firewall, irregardless what you do or don't. Unpatched Vista or 7 probably don't fare much better nowadays.

Deleted
    I actually have Windows 7, I don't get any updates because, you know... I didn't feel like paying 100 dollars for it.

A friend of mine is a computer technician and he actually installed my "free" version of XP years ago when I wasn't too good with computers, and he never mentioned any risk of getting viruses because of it.

And I guess he was right at least up until now I have never gotten a virus that did any actual damage, and that's like 7 years of using a PC daily connected to the internet.

I had never heard that not patching your OS could open you up to viruses. Also how exactly is a virus supposed to get into my pc if I am connected to the internet but not actually doing anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    A friend of mine is a computer technician and he actually installed my "free" version of XP years ago when I wasn't too good with computers, and he never mentioned any risk of getting viruses because of it.
    Because XP was still getting updated back then, including the pirated/free/whatever versions

Also how exactly is a virus supposed to get into my pc if I am connected to the internet but not actually doing anything?
    Because being connected to the internet causes a constant transfer of data and info that you don't see. Heck, there's even a tiny amount of data when the system is off (WOL functions)

10+ Year Old Account
    XP was updated again yesterday with some Visual Studio patches and a malicious software removal tool. Us XP users haven't been completely abandoned.